What software or firmware is the best for aspect ratios?

I tried taping black tape to the top and bottom of the view screen of my camera, to measure out an aspect ratio of 2.40:1. I am just using it as a guide to frame the shot, so I can crop it to 2.40 later.

However, it is too difficult cause I cannot see the aperture, shutter speed etc, on the viewscreen, nor can I see if the camera is recording unless I bend it up and look beyond the tape.

Out of all the software is there one that is better and safer to use? Thanks.

If you really like the tape, how about clear (i.e., so you can read through it) cellophane tape with the framing edge painted black with a Sharpie pen? I've been thinking of doing the same thing to play with wider screen ratios.

Good luck-

Well someone else is shooting the movie and we tried the clear tape but she says she has a hard time seeing where the tape is during shots that involve moving the camera. If we can have it so you can see the display without seeing the video behind it, it might be better for her. If not, then we can do our best with clear tape.

I shot my last feature before magic lantern. I used a screen protector and just drew a line with a sharpie to frame for 2.40 No haze or obstruction of elements, and I actually liked seeing what was between the 2.40 and 1.85 space for motion tracking reasons. So much so that I use the same style crop in Magic lantern now. Just two lines, rather than filled in blocks.

get some gaffer tape and tape it around your eyeballs, while your at it, try taping it around your fingers too so that you can stop with these stupid threads that are already covered by the hundreds of tutorials available online..

Okay thanks, but before when I put magic lantern on my camera card, it screwed up the card, and now the card will not work properly anymore. I have another camera card, but don't want to screw up that one too. I tried deleting magic lantern off the other one several times, but the computer will not delete it and a pop up comes up saying it cannot. But if I can get it to work I will use magic lantern.

Okay thanks, but before when I put magic lantern on my camera card, it screwed up the card, and now the card will not work properly anymore. I have another camera card, but don't want to screw up that one too. I tried deleting magic lantern off the other one several times, but the computer will not delete it and a pop up comes up saying it cannot. But if I can get it to work I will use magic lantern.

only you could mess up a system that would require you to simply *Insert Object*

I put magic lantern on my other card. I've watched some tutorials and they all say to go to 'cropmarks' and turn it on to 'CINESCO2'. But when I do that, nothing happens and it's still 16:9.

It all depends on which camera you have. I use tape because there is nothing like this that is available for my camera. if you have a canon dslr then magic lantern is the obvious choice. you can get an external monitor that has the aspect ratio guides built right in but those can cost $200 - $500 depending on how big you get.

Back