• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What makes an awesome editing reel?

There maybe another thread to this, but what do you think makes an outstanding editing reel?

Editors are unsung heroes in the film industry, not too many people can tell you of any ones that really stand out, but it could be argued that it is the most important part of making a film. Kubrick was quoted as saying: "I love editing. I think I like it more than any other phase of film making. If I wanted to be frivolous, I might say that everything that precedes editing is merely a way of producing film to edit." (Just found that on Wikipedia ;) ). I think good shots, flashy effects and well composed music are easy to identify, but how would one go about wowing people with their editing skills? How long should it be? Is a Youtube link acceptable? How about a personal website versus a dvd? Does anyone know any great examples?

Looking forward to the insights :)

Last edited:
Idk about a reel but i suppose it should be one which shows off ur own personal style along with ur ability to deliver different effects depending on the genre ur editing. But ive never really thought abt an editing reel so cant say much right now in terms of how to effectively achieve that.

As far as an editor goes, i could name plenty and know how important an editor is but i dont think it can be argues that he/she is the most part of film making. Perhaps they could be if they were left alone to do what they would with the footage but they almost always work under the direction of the director and producer so i dont think that argument would hold. That is not to say they aren't one of the major and vital members of a production.

Im sure someone else here can help you with ideas abt an editors reel, though :)

I agree with Ernest

If you mean editing as in puting the footage and soundtracks together, (as oppose to say, VFX compositing) t feels to me almost as if a good editor is not defined by the result of what he or she edits, but instead the editing process. By editing process i mean that they are fluent with the software and good at communication and is able to quickly understand and deliever what the director/producer wants.

My initial idea of a great editing reel was a piece that told a story well, fueled with emotion content in accordance to the music selected, all under 3-5 minutes. I suppose a great trailer embodies all of these elements.

I agree with Ernest

If you mean editing as in puting the footage and soundtracks together, (as oppose to say, VFX compositing) t feels to me almost as if a good editor is not defined by the result of what he or she edits, but instead the editing process. By editing process i mean that they are fluent with the software and good at communication and is able to quickly understand and deliever what the director/producer wants.

I completely agree and I think that if a reel is to be sent, then it should be tailor made for the client.

I'm curious though, has anyone ever hired an editor? What did you look for? Was a reel essential?

I'm curious though, has anyone ever hired an editor? What did you look for? Was a reel essential?
I have. The reel is irrelevant.

Hiring an editor is the most difficult aspect of the process
for me. It's all about the person. Of course they must have
talent, but I'm sitting in a room with this person for long
periods of time so the editor must be someone I can stand
being around.

I would never even watch an editors reel - I watch the
projects they have cut. But first and foremost, I talk to
the people they have worked with.

I found it interesting that the only editor you quote is a
very famous director. You're right - the editor is second only
to the writer in being the "unsung hero" of the filmmaking