What is the best system for remote viewing?

Looking at using canon 7d and or 5d.

Would like to be able to remote view the next scene being set up (basically being in 2 places at once).

I think I've seen something like an app for this, but not sure.

Ideally, this would work as remote view and then also as a live view with peaking while shooting.

As with everything, if there is another thread that discusses this, please share the link :)

You'd just need a monitor with two inputs - though you'd need a wireless transmitter and receiver for the 'remote' view. Maybe a Teradek product..

Personally, I would hate it and it would break my attention too much. That and the fact that I trust my crew - I sometimes have the electrics start setting up another lighting setup while we're still shooting, keeping at least one electric with me for tweaks (who can radio the others for big tweaks).

But I trust my crew, I couldn't think of anything worse than having to 'check up' on them.

You'd just need a monitor with two inputs - though you'd need a wireless transmitter and receiver for the 'remote' view. Maybe a Teradek product..

Personally, I would hate it and it would break my attention too much. That and the fact that I trust my crew - I sometimes have the electrics start setting up another lighting setup while we're still shooting, keeping at least one electric with me for tweaks (who can radio the others for big tweaks).

But I trust my crew, I couldn't think of anything worse than having to 'check up' on them.

This isn't about checking up. You know what. Why don't you just not respond to my threads since you can't be anything other than a negative Nancy :)

My situation. I have my DP and everyone else preparing the scene to be shot. I have my GWGSD (gusy who get shit done) setting up for the next scene. This is more for general framing than anything else. This is the only thing that makes sense to me since wasting time is my biggest gripe in the film industry.

Last edited:
This isn't about checking up. You know what. Why don't you just not respond to my threads since you can't be anything other than a negative Nancy :)

My situation. I have my DP and everyone else preparing the scene to be shot. I have my GWGSD (gusy who get shit done) setting up for the next scene. This is more for general framing than anything else. This is the only thing that makes sense to me since wasting time is my biggest gripe in the film industry.

I'm not being negative - I'm being realistic ;). I don't understand - general framing for what? Are you directing? Or something else? Are you checking frames for something being shot whilst you're setting up something else?

Or do you mean you have a second camera that the other guy is also setting up...?

Either way, wireless transmitters/receivers have an incredibly limited range, so your second set would need to be almost line of sight to the first one. Unless you used a Teradek to stream via wifi to an iPad or similar, but then you wouldn't have it on a reference monitor, and it would not be in real time.

The second set up would be within 100 yards typically of where we are shooting. We do have a second camera. This would then let the DP who is on the hot location doing final set up and framing and the director who will be doing final run throughs with actors be able to see what the B team is setting up for the next scene.

I've been on enough sets to see that people standing around waiting for others is one of the biggest wastes of time. This would be an effort to alleviate that.

Interesting idea.. not sure what your "viewing" remotely? But I assume you know what you mean ;)

I would offer that finding a trusted "assistant director" might be a more flexible option. Some one you can count on to go setup the other shot the way you would like it, while you work the current one. Same for the DP, a trusted assistant to setup the camera gear on the next shot...

We joke about these at work, but might be a viable solution for your needs..
http://www.doublerobotics.com/

Interesting idea.. not sure what your "viewing" remotely? But I assume you know what you mean ;)

I would offer that finding a trusted "assistant director" might be a more flexible option. Some one you can count on to go setup the other shot the way you would like it, while you work the current one. Same for the DP, a trusted assistant to setup the camera gear on the next shot...

We joke about these at work, but might be a viable solution for your needs..
http://www.doublerobotics.com/

Nice.

I've actually thought about using mannequin heads on adjustable poles to replicate the height of actors for setting up the next scene and camera placements.

They will be setting up the secondary gear at another location which is why I want to remotely view the shots.

The idea is to waste as little time as possible moving from scene to scene.

Movie sets are often the biggest waste of time ever... which is why they end up being 10 and 12 hr days with at least 1/3 of that being people standing around pulling on their wangs.

I feel you. Your right setup is the longest straw when it comes to time sucks.

The head on a pole for light setup is definitely something I would do. Check your local beauty college where they sell the $5 haircuts, get an old practice head for free!

All you need to solve your technological problem is a standard wireless video transmitter/reciever setup. Jax already mentioned Teradek, there are several others.

It won't solve your people problem though, it'll just divide your attention between two units.

If you can't trust your B unit to get the job done properly without having to personally check their frame constantly, then you need a new B unit. You should be able to trust them to get the job done right - if they are shooting simultaneously with your A unit, or if they are just setting up for talent to come in from one setup to the next.

I used to AC for a show that shot 2 units very frequently. Never did either the director or the producer feel it necessary to constantly view what the unit they were not currently working with was up to. Typically the director would be with the A unit, and a trusted AD or producer would hang with the B unit. Sometimes the other way around. Either way, no single person ever felt it necessary to have a constant feed of both teams.

The tools are out there. Wireless is becoming a pretty common way to get many mobile camera signals back to video village, and some products even have a little hand-held monitor/receiver that can be handed off to the appropriate "boss" so they can be as mobile as the operator.

Last edited:
Why does everyone NOT read.

This is NOT about constantly checking up on everyone. This is letting them do their thing and being able to take a look without having to walk 300 feet just to do it.

Why does everyone NOT read.

This is NOT about constantly checking up on everyone. This is letting them do their thing and being able to take a look without having to walk 300 feet just to do it.

Sounds like checking up to me ;)

Different terminology doesn't mean it's a different thing.

What happens if you see something you don't like?

Last edited:
Sounds like checking up to me ;)

Different terminology doesn't mean it's a different thing.

What happens if you see something you don't like?

Depending on where I am at within the situation. I might tell them to move the sticks. I might do nothing.

Again, this is only a time saving device... kinda like what Peter Jackson did with his own B unit during the filming of LOTR.

So if you want to call it checking up, great.

I love how quickly you can turn a thread worthless ;)

Forums are a place where people who CAN'T go to breed.

Quoted for posterity.

Just a note - think of it as me suggesting you "move the sticks" - that sort of "witty banter" up there usually gets people a permanent vacation from this board pretty quickly. You'll find the troll tolerance here much, much lower than on your average board.

HTH.

Back