• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What is really important for a description of a scene?

Description. I believe that is the most important stuff of a screenplay! I mean, how shall you implement the movie if you don’t know what’s happening. And there’s description’s role. But how do you write it without overusing? Let’s discuss, which details are important. I wrote an example for it:

Ext./Int. – House – Day

HELENA (27), a blonde woman with amber-brown eyes and white-skinned, walks a path along in the garden.

She grabs one of the moving boxes, which stands by the truck of the moving company.

Helena goes into the house.

Int. House, living room – Continous

Helena stands in the middle of the living room now. She put the moving box on another box.

MALE VOICE (O.S.)
And there she is!

Int. – House, living room – same (shot by the cam)

Helena rolls her eyes.

Helena
Oh! C’mon, Jerry. You know, I hate it to be shot.

Int. House, living room – same

JERRY (Man) stands towards Helena. He makes a disappointed face. His cam is on his shoulder.

JERRY
(disappointed)
fun killer!

Jerry is looking for something else, which he can shot.

He goes outta the living room.

Maybe you can make it better if you don’t like it.

Future, I can't believe I'm calling you Future haha. I realise that you stopped private messagng me. I don't know if it's because your inbox is full or you got tired of me spamming, just write the first draft and we'll guild you from there!

@Quality Even if the first draft is garbage, it has to be good by the description. And that was just an example to critique my description style. As a screenwriter, you never stop learning or can say "Yah! I’m perfect!". That’s why!

Something that I learned through writing, which also happens in any situation, like creating music, is that you can learn such things, like how to describe a scene, through writing. I think that happens because when you start writing that means you have a passion about the story you want to write and therefore you know how you want to describe the scene. You have a passion about describing it. Trying to learn such things outside the action of writing is a bit nonsensical. Instead, ask and do research about these things when you need it for the story you are writing. You will learn deeply.

Something that I learned through writing, which also happens in any situation, like creating music, is that you can learn such things, like how to describe a scene, through writing. I think that happens because when you start writing that means you have a passion about the story you want to write and therefore you know how you want to describe the scene. You have a passion about describing it. Trying to learn such things outside the action of writing is a bit nonsensical. Instead, ask and do research about these things when you need it for the story you are writing. You will learn deeply.

This +1

It is like karate. You can't just read karate books and expect to be able to do it right the first time.

My advice to you is to use as little direction as possible in the script.
Don't micromanage your actors and let them focus on the acting instead of exactly what to do with a prop in a play by play.

Back