what is it like pursuing a career as a film director?

I'm curious as to what it's like pursuing a career as a film director, especially in Los Angeles. How difficult is it? What are your tips for aspiring directors? ect...

Alright, let's say you work a job and you make 90,000/year. But the thing is, you hate your job. You can't stand your job. You work 10ish hours a day and hate it more and more with every passing day

Now let's say I am able to support myself with my independent filmmaking. I make 20,000/year. I love waking up everyday and working solely on films. 8-12 hours a day I can write, shoot, edit, create.

In these two scenarios, who is more successful?
Objectively? Based only on facts and not influenced by personal
beliefs or feelings? I don't know that you can can say with any
objectivity that one or the other is more successful. YOU would
be happier and thus more successful based on YOUR opinion,
but I cannot answer your question with any objective certainty.
But I know there are many people who feel the money makes
them more successful in their opinion.

Now, regarding my opinion on why you should take a walk if you're in it for the money.
Why would you put your heart and soul into something that you aren't passionate about when there are so many easier and alternate ways in making money?
Are you certain that for me (and in your comment for everyone)
there are so many easier and alternate ways in making money?
You don't know me or my background. I didn't graduate high
school. When I dropped out I was getting a GPA of 1. I have spent
my entire working life in entertainment - TV, theater, theme parks,
live events and movies. I don't even have the skills to work a cash
register in a retail store or fast food place. I can't think of a single
thing I can do to make money.

I don't understand the logic? If you are looking to make money, find a faster and easier way. Why waste your time and effort making a film when all that matters is currency?
The logic is I don't know a faster, easier way. You call making a film a waste of my time and effort when all the matters is currency, I call it the way I make my living.

So help me out here OpusFuller. For a guy like me; high school drop
out, no college, no "real" work experience at all, what would be a
faster and easier way to make money?

Perhaps that's an extreme example - I certianly couldn't walk away
now. It's the only think I know. But what advice would you have
given me the week I dropped out of high school with dreams of
becoming a filmmaker? Not out of passion but because I wanted to
earn money. What other method of earning a living would you have
suggested as faster and easier?

I don't understand your logic of walking away if all you're in it for
is the money.

I'm sorry, but your argument is null.

Just because you hate what you do, doesnt make you unsuccesfull... it makes you unhappy.

Why put your heart and soul into something your not passionate about? What if he is passionate about making money?

Try making a film when you make $30K a year... when you have a house, a car, and a kid to pay for...

Nothing null about it.

Again, what if he is passionate about making money. Since you happened to shorten what I said and leave out the importance of the matter. Okay, so he's passionate about making money. Why MAKE a film? Something that is very difficult to do (or so a lot of people claim). Why not work at a grocery store, buy up stock, etc. There are many easy ways to make money. Making a film takes a lot of hustle, hard work, time and energy. AGAIN, if he is passionate about making money, why make it only by the means of making a film!? If you're trying to make a point, it's not a very good one. Sorry to say.

Don't make me laugh with your comment about making a film with 30,000 while paying for a house, car or a kid. I made an award winning short film with 600 dollars and was making well under 30,000.

*Shrugs*

Objectively? Based only on facts and not influenced by personal
beliefs or feelings? I don't know that you can can say with any
objectivity that one or the other is more successful. YOU would
be happier and thus more successful based on YOUR opinion,
but I cannot answer your question with any objective certainty.
But I know there are many people who feel the money makes
them more successful in their opinion.

Now, regarding my opinion on why you should take a walk if you're in it for the money.
Why would you put your heart and soul into something that you aren't passionate about when there are so many easier and alternate ways in making money?
Are you certain that for me (and in your comment for everyone)
there are so many easier and alternate ways in making money?
You don't know me or my background. I didn't graduate high
school. When I dropped out I was getting a GPA of 1. I have spent
my entire working life in entertainment - TV, theater, theme parks,
live events and movies. I don't even have the skills to work a cash
register in a retail store or fast food place. I can't think of a single
thing I can do to make money.

The logic is I don't know a faster, easier way. You call making a film a waste of my time and effort when all the matters is currency, I call it the way I make my living.

So help me out here OpusFuller. For a guy like me; high school drop
out, no college, no "real" work experience at all, what would be a
faster and easier way to make money?

Perhaps that's an extreme example - I certianly couldn't walk away
now. It's the only think I know. But what advice would you have
given me the week I dropped out of high school with dreams of
becoming a filmmaker? Not out of passion but because I wanted to
earn money. What other method of earning a living would you have
suggested as faster and easier?

I don't understand your logic of walking away if all you're in it for
is the money.

Give me your name, the films you have made if any. If you can do that, then yes, I'll gladly continue this conversation. If you can't, then you made my point and I rest my case. So until you give me some cred's, why bother talking in hypothetical bud?

Answered my own question.

Rik Carter, you wrote and directed "Dark Crimes", had a budget of 50,000 and .....

So how much did you make on that? Did it hit an indy theater? Throw some numbers at me?

I apologize.

I didn't realize we couldn't have a conversation unless I posted
my resume. I was just curious about the statement you made. I
thought a friendly discussion would be of interest to both of us.
Since the only way you will continue is if I submit a full resume
I am no longer interested.

I still don't understand your point, but I guess I concede that
you win.

Ok.

I'm sorry TheOpusFuller, but it seems like you are way to one-sided and very shitty about the way you disscuss opinions.

I'm going to leave at that we agree to disagree.

I apologize.

I didn't realize we couldn't have a conversation unless I posted
my resume. I was just curious about the statement you made. I
thought a friendly discussion would be of interest to both of us.
Since the only way you will continue is if I submit a full resume
I am no longer interested.

I still don't understand your point, but I guess I concede that
you win.

It's not about winning or losing, so I don't understand why you have that frame of mind.

Here's my reasoning for asking about you CV. You've been making movies since '87. I'm pretty sure I'm correct on this since IMDB is pretty strict with what they accept/deny on their website.

That's the glory of technology....

I don't understand how you do not understand my point. You claim you are making movies because you're passionate about making money. Well, you have obviously been doing it for 23 years. I believe I am correct on that. So, that's my point. How much money did you really make in that 23 years of filmmaking?

You asked me, "what would be a
faster and easier way to make money?"

Well, have you really been making of off the films listed on your IMDB page?

That's my point, it has nothing to do with personal taste, if I think your movies are good or bad, etc. This conversation is about making Fast, Easy money, ie "what would be a
faster and easier way to make money?"

This is completely a friendly discussion.... I just think people are way too soft when talking about shit that can really help them or open their eyes. How do you know after all said and done you might walk away with the mindset of.... Well, I'f I have been making films for 23 years and I haven't been making much money off of it, then maybe I am in it for the passion. Maybe I am in it for the love.

If you can't see my point in what I stated above, then I really don't know how to make it any clearer.

PS.

Directorik is very well known on these boards and has proven his wisdom in this field of work, and thus does not need to attest to you.

CDCosta, let's not get off topic here. We're not talking about wisdom in this field of work. We're talking about making fast and easy money. I suggest scrolling back through the posts.

I'm sorry if I seem one sided about stressing my opinion. Really. It's something I will work on. Or at least try to discuss in a lighter tone.

I still feel that Directorik is in it for the Passion and not the currency... So i'm going to leave it at that.

Well, this thread had potential.

Here's the thing for anyone who is interested on some level of financial return for their film making investment:

Director - just like IT Administrator, Sales Manager, Camera Operator, 1st AD, Ditch Digger, or whatever - is a job title. That it is a type of job that precludes (in most cases) pursuit unless someone actually enjoys doing it does not change the fact that it is a job. The OP didn't ask "What is it like pursing the passion of film making with your own resources nights and weekends strictly for the sake of art" That's a different (and valid) question. The question was about Directing as a Career, and frankly I'd like to see the discussion turn back in that direction as I have many more questions about the Non-Creative aspects of a Directing career.

If anyone says they are only into film making for the passion, they are most likely bending the truth.

Sure, I love making films, and I'd be happy with making films for just enough to get by in life. But humans are naturally instinctive to survive, and money helps with survival, and also can show success.

Now the OP asked "How hard is it to become a director as a career?"

Career as in making enough money to survive and as your only job.

The awnser remains the same: It's hard. The film industry is mainly Freelance jobs, and that means your always looking and trying to prove yourself worthy for the next job. Almost everyone on this board has a second job, or works at other positions in the film industry other then Directing.

Opus,

I don’t completely have a difference of opinion on some things you have put forth, in fact, I think the hope in the notion of film makers being able to make it outside of Hollywood is very important. However, after reading all of this I am left wondering a few things.

1st. After illustrating various points of view by way of things like..:

“.. If John Doe wakes up every morning..”
“..This is coming from a teacher who probably wishes he was a director and not a teacher.”
“.. There wouldn't be only 1 person holding up there hand…”
“.. I would still be holding up my hand and then I would continue to tell the professor..”
“.. Alright, let's say you work a job and you make 90,000/year…”
“.. Now let's say I am able to support myself with my independent filmmaking…”
“.. If I made 200,000 a year working a job that I hate..”
“.. Why not work at a grocery store, buy up stock, etc.…”

Why then suggest hypothetical not be used in response?
Am I misreading things, and you really mean something along the lines of let’s now forego the hypothetical?

2nd. If someone thinking of getting into film, or someone is in film to make money should take a walk because there are easier ways to make money, then by the same token shouldn’t someone able to support themselves with film by working 8-12 hours a day also take one?

3rd. I don’t see how Rik never actually saying he was passionate about making money became him claiming he was.

-Thanks-

Back