• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What? Is a ISCII code???

Hello, All!

I just edited a 30 second spot for a comic book store and I need to give him a copy so it can be aired. The cable station is asking for a ISCII code.

I have no idea what that is or how to provide it. I am editing in FCP and I know that sometimes there may be settings for things, however I don't even know where to look for this.

Can someone enlighten me? I am relatively done with the project, I've just hit this little snag....

-- spinner :cool:

That's a letter/number combination that uniquely identifies that commercial.

When you submit, you usually need bars & tone with a slate. On the slate you'll include the ISCI number.

EXAMPLE:

ISCI # ________ADA1477______

The International Standardized Commercial Identifier code is usually
four letters and four numbers. the letters identify the advertiser and
the numbers identify either the spot or the version of the spot. If the
comic book shop does not already have an ISCI ID you can make one
up. Ask the cable station if they already have an ID for that business.

Thanks for the fast response, you two!

...so, it sounds like if the store doesn't have a "code or number", I can just make one up? I was worried that it was like a barcode or something. (I can't make those :D )

It sounds like maybe the store should have one, but I do think this is the first commercial for this little store.

The cable station has asked for it. They will have the code for
the store if they have other spots for that store. If this is the
first spot for that store then they will generate the first four
letters or let you do do it and they will use that in the future.

Ask the cable station.

I think it depends on if the client has ever had a TV spot before. If yes, then they should have an ID (could be an ADID or ISCI see below)

From my one and only dealing with this with my poptent win..
I believe its ISCI is replaced by AD-ID system

https://www.ad-id.org/help/structure.cfm

When I did this I had to name the file the same as the ADID.

SD and HD files have the same ID with the H appended for HD (its all in the document above)

So if they DONT have an ID, is there benifit in a content creator getting there own and submiting spots that way?

EDIT: just answered my own question.. from the ADID rate card..

All new Ad-ID prefixes are 4 Alpha only.
All prefixes must be advertiser based. Agency
prefixes are not supported

Last edited:
New Development for same project:

The cable station contacted me to say that they needed the spot to be in a higher definition to be aired. She asked if it was in a .mov file or a .wav file. I edited standard DV footage, exported to QT and it was a .mov file.

Is there a way I can improve the export? Maybe export it in a different file? I'm sure I am not wording this correctly, but basically we need the highest quality we can get. Any suggestions on the best way to increase quality output?

...this will be my first aired commercial spot and I would really like everything to be in order. :D

EDIT: I am editing in FCP 6.

As it turns out, they were able to take the .mov file, so I uploaded it with no problems. So, if all things work the way I'd like them to...

this little :30 spot - a zombie commercial for a comic book store - will air LOCALLY during the premiere of The Walking Dead this Sunday!

Yay, Me!

And I'm going to check out what Pro Res 422 looks like in size and also compressor, Sonnyboo. Thanks a lot, everybody!

(...now, I get to go freak out over what I couldn't fix, but all in all, I think it's a pretty nice spot!) :)

No, it's all good.

I did it for the heck of it and I thought it came out well. Of course, there are always things I would have liked to have done better, but for my first spot, it didn't suck!

It was a zombie commercial for a comic book store and! it aired during the premiere of The Walking Dead tonight!

I'm so :woohoo: I can hardly stand myself!

I'll post it asap if you guys wanna see it!

That's a letter/number combination that uniquely identifies that commercial.

When you submit, you usually need bars & tone with a slate. On the slate you'll include the ISCI number.

I was remembering that too, from when I was at the TV station, BUT, the way this was done, they needed no slate or bars and tone from me. Just the 30 second spot. I also remembered that normally (?) they needed the spot to be 28 to 29 seconds long, drag time for tape.

...But we no longer need tape, do we? :lol: So, all forthcoming spots will be 30 seconds unless otherwise instructed.

Back