What does a movie need to be Goth?

Hello,

Like the question says, what does a movie need to have to be goth? What kind of plot, characters, etc. Also, is H.P. Lovecraft considered Gothic?

Thanks,

BWC

This!

blackdragin.jpg

No, but seriously; Do you mean gothic as in Gothic architecture or Gothic as in that kid that wears black make up?

For the first one, I think that the overall look might be influenced by a lot. First, location and lighting. Dark, enclosed spaces will be great as long as you do use strong lighting to apply contrast.
For example, if you shoot in a church at night, keep the general lighting to a minimum but add certain spots with heavy light use, with blue gels.
Shadows could help you achieve the style. Try it by placing different objects, maybe even with themed shapes (gargoyles, symbols) in front of your light source to project their shadows onto significant parts of the scene.
I can't help you with the story. I guess that a suiting theme would be romantic tragedies.
Just try not to force your project into a gothic styling or you'll end up with an inconsistent story.
You should read wikipedia articles on gothic architecture, literature, art in general, to have an idea of the direction you are heading.

Although "Dark City" also by Alex Prozas is quite gothic as well... it's kind of a neo-noir sensibility with a Older Nine-Inch-Nails, Pretty Hate Machine kind of vibe.

Sound track by Type O Negative??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFwYJYl5GUQ

BWAHAHAHAH!!!! :) I love those guys.

It needs to not be Emo.

Examples:

Goth:

All of the above.

Emo:

Twilight.

And yes, Lovecraft counts. If chanting "IA IA CTHULU!!!" doesn't make sense to someone, revoke their GothCard. :D

Last edited:
I'd throw "The Hunger" (with Bauhaus on the soundtrack) in there as well. The "Underworld" movies also (on some level),

The feature I am developing has a lot of "Goth" elements. It's part of my marketing strategy to make a film with elements that appeal to multiple groups who are very hungry for content.

Well, Gothic sensibilities were established in books like Dracula and Frankenstein, Faustian stuff like The Picture of Dorian Gray.
So for film Gothic I'd look to adaptations of those first of all(but not the newest Dorian Gray, I thought it was pretty terrible).
Watch them, analyse them, what things do they share visually, musically, in narrative etc.? If you find these things you'll know all of the things that are used in a film with a Gothic atmosphere.

goth·ic   [goth-ik]
–adjective

1. ( usually initial capital letter ) noting or pertaining to a style of architecture, originating in France in the middle of the 12th century and existing in the western half of Europe through the middle of the 16th century, characterized by the use of the pointed arch and the ribbed vault, by the use of fine woodwork and stonework, by a progressive lightening of structure, and by the use of such features as flying buttresses, ornamental gables, crockets, and foils.

2. ( usually initial capital letter ) pertaining to or designating the style of painting, sculpture, etc., produced between the 13th and 15th centuries, esp. in northern Europe, characterized by a tendency toward realism and interest in detail.

3. ( initial capital letter ) of or pertaining to Goths or their language.

4. ( usually initial capital letter ) of or pertaining to the music, esp. of northern Europe, of the period roughly from 1200 to 1450, including that of the Ars Antiqua, Ars Nova, and the Burgundian school.

5. ( usually initial capital letter ) pertaining to the Middle Ages; medieval.

6. ( sometimes initial capital letter ) barbarous or crude.

7. ( often initial capital letter ) noting or pertaining to a style of literature characterized by a gloomy setting, grotesque, mysterious, or violent events, and an atmosphere of degeneration and decay: 19th-century gothic novels.

8. ( initial capital letter ) noting or pertaining to the alphabetical script introduced for the writing of Gothic by Ulfilas and derived by him from Greek uncials with the addition of some Latin and some invented letters.

9. ( often initial capital letter ) being of a genre of contemporary fiction typically relating the experiences of an often ingenuous heroine imperiled, as at an old mansion, where she typically becomes involved with a stern or mysterious but attractive man.

–noun

10. ( usually initial capital letter ) the arts and crafts of the Gothic period.

11. ( initial capital letter ) the extinct Germanic language of the Goths, preserved esp. in the 4th-century translation by Ulfilas of the Bible. Abbreviation: Goth, Goth., goth.

12. ( often initial capital letter ) a story, play, film, or other work in the gothic style.

13. ( usually initial capital letter ) British . black letter.

14. ( often initial capital letter ) a square-cut printing type without serifs or hairlines.

Goth (ɡɒθ)

— n

1. Ostrogoth See also Visigoth a member of an East Germanic people from Scandinavia who settled south of the Baltic early in the first millennium ad . They moved on to the Ukrainian steppes and raided and later invaded many parts of the Roman Empire from the 3rd to the 5th century

2. a rude or barbaric person

3. ( sometimes not capital ) an aficionado of Goth music and fashion

— adj

4. ( sometimes not capital ) Also: Gothic

a. (of music) in a style of guitar-based rock with some similarities to heavy metal and punk and usually characterized by depressing or mournful lyrics

b. (of fashion) characterized by black clothes and heavy make-up, often creating a ghostly appearance

I know about the Goth style of dressing, and that wasn't the one I meant. I sometimes hear people say a movie has alot of gothic influence, and I thought it had to do with dark colors, shadows, little light, etc. But I think I will look into the Gothic period.

And are movies like SLEEPY HALLOW, EDWARDS SICCORS HANDS, and PANS LABYRINTH considered goth? That's the type of style I want to use for some of my future horror movies.

Thanks,

BWC

Fist off, it's Sleepy Hollow ;)
Well, I guess Burton films (like Sleepy Hollow and Scissorhands) are good to look at, but I'd look more at his Batman films and Sweeney Todd than say, Corpse Bride.
Pan's Labyrinth... I don't think it's gothic in the same sense as a Burton film but it does have very distinct visual styling, look at some of Guillermo Del Toro's other movies - Devil's Backbone and Cronos leap to mind.

I feel like burton is more of an art director than he is a director at this point.

-Goth movies require:
-romanticized death
-dark lighting, wardrobe, sets, etc. <---its better to have more than less here.
-protagonist that goths can relate to (angst, depression, anger, etc.) almost antihero, but not quite. A little bit of charisma goes a long way too.
-a SUPER evil antagonist. Has to make the protagonist look like a good guy in comparison. If the film is more light-hearted (ie. Burton), antagonist can be a regular world dweller, but those films dont come off as "gothic" movies to me. It's all semantics.
-Catharsis. Protagonist must overcome evil force. Pretty standard.
-Respectful disposal of protagonist. IMO, the character, after overcoming adversity should jump for joy, wipe his makeup off and stroll down the street whistling a happy tune, but that would kill the gothic nature of the character. You either need to kill that character off immediately during/after overcoming adversity with some kind of tragic device, or turn the film on its ear and make him/her fail in some way.

If you don't have most of these things, you aren't making a goth movie in my eyes. Makeup and production design won't do everything.

Look at:
revenge tragedies
vampire films

Back