What does a DP do?

I have found a director working on 2 music videos in my area and they are looking for a DP. They are a new director so I am sure they wouldn't mind working with me since I have no experience too but I was just wondering exactly what to expect doing as a DP. Also, I plan on asking to sit at the shoot or help out in other ways if I am not qualified to be a DP. Thanks!

DP is a pretty technical job. At the ultra-low budget level, it usually means that you are responsible for lights, and what setting to put the camera on (in addition to probably also working the camera). DP is the person that's most responsible for the look of the film, so if you feel like that's something you're passionate about, go for it! But you better start crackin' -- you got lots to learn.

Also, it doesn't hurt to contact the director, but when a director is seeking a DP, in my experience, they're typically looking for someone who is more experienced with then they are, as far as lighting, etc., are concerned. But that's not always the case -- many directors would just appreciate a co-collaborator, and be willing to give you the DP duties, even if you're inexperienced. So, either way, only thing that makes sense is to go for it!

:lol: I was thinking the same thing!

I have found a director working on 2 music videos in my area and they are looking for a DP. They are a new director so I am sure they wouldn't mind working with me since I have no experience too but I was just wondering exactly what to expect doing as a DP. Also, I plan on asking to sit at the shoot or help out in other ways if I am not qualified to be a DP. Thanks!
The Director of Photography is in charge of the camera and grip
department. The DP works with the director to get the artistic
and technical aspects of a movie related to the image including
lighting, composition, filters, lenses and focal length. The DP
will guide the gaffer, grips and camera operator to get the needed
shots and coverage.

I suspect the director isn't looking for a DP who doesn't know
what a DP does. No offense intended, but the DP is the most
technical job on the set. A knowledge of cameras, lighting, filters
gels, exposure and lenses is essential. A new director really needs
an experienced DP.

A knowledge of cameras, lighting, filters
gels, exposure and lenses is essential. A new director really needs
an experienced DP.

It's amazing how many people call themselves DP's and hardly know anything. Some people think if they know where the "Record" button is they're DP. A real DP knows so much stuff -- a lot of actors step into directing for the first time and hit it out of the park. But I don't think anyone steps into Cinematography and nails it. I like Robert Rodgriguez and S. Soderberg a lot, but not so much as DP's. Highly skilled people those DP's.

Thanks for all of the answers. I had a rough idea of what a DP did. I wasn't going in completely blind but I definitely didn't want to tell this guy that I could do the job and then show up and look like an asshole who didn't know one lens from the other haha.

Thanks for all of the answers. I had a rough idea of what a DP did. I wasn't going in completely blind but I definitely didn't want to tell this guy that I could do the job and then show up and look like an asshole who didn't know one lens from the other haha.

You know, people do bluff their way through different jobs, and there's something to be said for it. For example, Harrison Ford has people convinced he's an actor. Two useful components to a successful bluff 1) Act like you know what you're doing, avoid deer caught in headlights look 2) Make sure there's someone near you that knows what they're doing so you can "Consult" with said person.

Do you feel you are up to the DP job?

You know, people do bluff their way through different jobs, and there's something to be said for it. For example, Harrison Ford has people convinced he's an actor. Two useful components to a successful bluff 1) Act like you know what you're doing, avoid deer caught in headlights look 2) Make sure there's someone near you that knows what they're doing so you can "Consult" with said person.
That's true but I don't think that's fair when dealing with someone's self-financed art.

That's true but I don't think that's fair when dealing with someone's self-financed art.
My thoughts exactly.

I got my first gig in film by bluffing. I was asked, "Have you ever done
makeup effects before?"

I had fooled around as a kid with blood and my moms makeup, but I
had never done anything at the level I was about to jump into. I said
"Yes." - got the low paying gig and on my first day was in over my head.
The boss called me on it within the first hour. But he was cool and I was
willing to learn.

That's very different than accepting a job as a DP on a new directors
music video. If one does not have an experienced gaffer and AC who is
there to look to for advice? On my first "real" short film I was fortunate
enough to get a DP with some experience. Sure, I could have done it
myself or got someone at my experience level - but as a new director I
wanted someone I could learn from. She helped me immensely.

Bluffing your way onto a set in an assistant position is, in my opinion and
experience, acceptable - you can always look to someone with more experience
to help you. Taking a job as a department head for someone looking for
experience does not seem like a good way to go.

I'm not sure why we're all assuming that either of these directors wouldn't love having Comikkaze as their DP. We don't know anything about them.

For all we know, these directors could be in the stage of their filmmaking career in which they're just starting out, and practically having to beg friends and family to join their projects. If this is the case, they're probably not going to be able to attract an experienced DP, unless they're offering money. If this is the case, they'd probably be thrilled to have someone take on the duties of DP, even if that person is a total beginner (and if said director is smart, they would probably keep a close eye on, and stay in good communication with their new DP). We all gotta start somewhere!

If they're offering money, then obviously, they won't want Comikkaze's help at DP, and will tell him, immediately. And then, if they're smart, they'll ask Comikkaze to volunteer as a PA.

As I see it, it's a win-win situation. Only logical decision is to offer your services to these directors. What's the worst that can happen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6ALySsPXt0

From purely a moral standpoint that's true. But the issue isn't always clear cut, for example if you say, "I own a camera and did a short, take a look. But I've never gone to film school or had formal training." You're off the hook, if the director still wants to give you the job, the ethical issue clouds. And the other thing, So many people hustle their way in to positions, saying "Yes" tends to get you in doors, saying "No, I'm not able to do it" usually doesn't. This is real world stuff, and one place I've observed a lot of it is in the military, which has considerably higher stakes than someone's music video. There are people running things that have little idea what they're doing.
And Directorik's story seemed to have worked out in the long term, better than if he'd just said "No, I don't know how." He'd have stayed home. Instead he got on to a set. I'd say it's a judgment call, there are many variables not the least of which is the moral component, but there are other elements as well that need to factor in. You have to know where to draw the line between brash confidence and stupidity.

I would be willing to bet that MOST of the people on this site are people with little to no real experience on film sets. Many people here are lo- to no budget guerrilla filmmakers, many are just starting out. Many, like myself, could not afford film school. Many people on this site are still in high school so spending your whole budget on only audio doesn't even begin to make sense.

If your director has very little experience and neither do you, then this is an opportunity to learn together. If you are newbies, try to be as organized as you can. Talk to your director a lot. It will probably help him out to have someone to work out the logistics with. Talk out what you expect to shoot/show, figure out how best to do it. Who's going to say its wrong? You're both beginners, chances are that neither of you know.

The thing about indie film when you are starting at rock bottom is you have the good fortune of having to be creative. You don't have the big crane, you might have a ladder. You don't have the expensive camera, but you can make sure your shots are well composed.

Since you didn't say what level of experience you have or your director has, I'm assuming you are at the beginning of what you know. There's nothing wrong with that. Just don't walk in cold, without out any idea of how to get started or where to put your camera. You have to start somewhere, right? So, this is where you start. The only way you will start to gain experience is to go out and shoot something.

Good Luck :)

-- spinner :cool:

Back