• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What do you think of the screenplay as a format?

While I enjoy crafting stories in my mind, I have always struggled with the screenplay as a format.

I think its constant, unchanging characteristics force the writer to imagine elements that subtract rather than add to the story. For instance:

--The fixed length. Makes the writer come up with "filler" scenes.
--Dialogue. Makes the writer script many more dialogue scenes -and speech in general- than necessary.
--The lack of language that accurately portrays what will be seen on the screen. Not allowed too many paragraphs of description, the writer falls back on dialogue.
--The three act structure. A good structure, but sometimes robs the story of interesting, unexpected story beats that would be more interesting than traditional act bridging plot points.

I am not saying the screenplay is a bad format or that I don't like it. I just don't think it lends itself to the way I write stories. I am interested in hearing whether you find the screenplay suitable to your storytelling style or not and why.

I honestly haven't had an problems.

There's really nothing within the format that I find so constricting that my ability to tell the story as I want it is seriously hampered. I might have to make a minor adjustment here and there, but it's never been something so great as to force me to sacrifice an aspect of the story that's important to me.

While I enjoy crafting stories in my mind, I have always struggled with the screenplay as a format.

I think its constant, unchanging characteristics force the writer to imagine elements that subtract rather than add to the story. For instance:

If you don't have a story that takes at least 90 minutes to tell then
you don't have a feature length film - you have a short. The format
doesn't make the writer come up with filler scenes. In the screenplay
format you are allowed to write any length you want. From three pages
to 200 pages.
--Dialogue. Makes the writer script many more dialogue scenes -and speech in general- than necessary.
If you feel dialogue scenes are unnecessary the screenplay formant
doesn't make you write more dialogue. You can have many scenes
without dialogue if your story demands it.
--The lack of language that accurately portrays what will be seen on the screen. Not allowed too many paragraphs of description, the writer falls back on dialogue.
You are misinformed here. The screenplay format allows you to accurately
portray what will be seem on the screen. The proper format doesn't
use camera angles to tell the story, it uses good writing. But if you
feel you cannot tell your story without including where the camera
will be and how it will move, then you are allowed to include those
things. But a writer must do so knowing that very few writers have
an excellent understanding of camera work so the script that includes
those things usually reads poorly.
--The three act structure. A good structure, but sometimes robs the story of interesting, unexpected story beats that would be more interesting than traditional act bridging plot points.
The 3 Act structure isn't limited to the screenplay format. All stories
are told with act 1 being the beginning, act 2 the middle and act 3 the
ending. All stories. If you want to include interesting, unexpected story
beats in a screenplay you are allowed to include them.

I am not saying the screenplay is a bad format or that I don't like it. I just don't think it lends itself to the way I write stories..
It sounds like you should be writing novels.

The screenplay format is quite different. A novel is written to be read by
one person - a screenplay is written to be the guideline for a different
medium, read by many people with different jobs and finally as a movie
to be seen by groups of people in a theater.

But it also seem like you have some very deep misunderstandings regarding
the format. You are allowed to write in any way you want within the format.

I am not saying the screenplay is a bad format or that I don't like it. I just don't think it lends itself to the way I write stories. I am interested in hearing whether you find the screenplay suitable to your storytelling style or not and why.

As odd as it sounds, I find the screenplay format extraordinaly liberating. The economy it requires allows me, as a writer, to focus. Even the very best prose writers get sidetracked at various times in their novels.

If you think a script should be constant and unchanging, I'm afraid you're mistaken. You should always choose your words carefully so you don't repeat when possible. Change sentence length, rhythm, etc. Yes, you can still do all of that while writing a screenplay and still stick to what's expected.

As for a fixed length?...there really isn't a fixed length. Rather, its more like a fixed interval. Anyone who says you have to have such and such on an page 55 and the screenplay has to be almost exactly 110 pages or whatever, I don't think that's the case. For sure, you can't have one 90 pages or one that's 200 pages or anything completely out of the norm, but 100-130 isn't really an issue. That's a half hour's worth of wiggle-room, more than enough time to end the story the right way.

There should never ever be "filler" scenes. If you find you have these in your script, you don't have a good enough story, or you haven't gotten your mind into the story enough to really know it.

As for dialogue, if you can tell something in the story without a single word being said, do it. There are a lot of quotable quotables in movie history, but there are an awful lot of spectacular film sequences that don't have a single word of dialogue. When it comes to describing a scene, this touches on the biggest difference between the screenwriter and the prose writer. If you write in prose, you are the final version of the presentation. It is your job and your job only to convey to the reader exactly what is going on. But in screenwriting, that's not the case. When you go to a movie, you don't read a script. You watch it all on the screen. It's not only your job to convey to the audience what happens, it's also the director's job, the actors' jobs, the cinematographer's, the crew, everyone. That's why you limit your description to only what is necessary for everyone else to do their job later on.

But description shouldn't just be bland. If you read professional screenplays online that have been produced, you might notice they seem kind of lifeless at first. At least, that's how some of them have seemed to me. Some of my favorite movies (not all), I'll go and read the script and be struck but how boring the script seems. Not the story, just the way in which it was written. The only conclusion I can draw from this is that some who are already professionals, already have a reputation, all of that, are able to write the story in the simplest possible way and that is enough for them. They get the story across, and then they can explain it more to the director, agents, producers, etc. in meetings. Well, if you're writing a spec, you don't have that luxury. So make it interesting. The story ALWAYS has to be interesting. But you, as a spec writer, need to WRITE it interestingly, if that makes sense. And you can still do that concisely to meet expectations. It's very a subtle talent.

Finally, structure is a universal thing. All stories ever told, no matter how crazy they are, no matter what order the events were told in (or out of order)...all have three acts. Beginning. Middle. End. It's fundamental, like the sky is blue. Even if you want to write edgy non-conformist scripts, you have to at least master basic structure first. You can't do calculus if you don't know algebra. That sort of thing. Even some of the great existensialists and others in the mid 20th century who told the most elaborate stories that didn't conform to normal structure...well they all spent 20 or 30 years telling "regular" stories before they tried something more exotic.

Last edited:
I think of it as much as I think of gravity.

It just is.

1) Fixed Length - No, you ***never*** write filler scenes. You dig deeper into your characters and story and find more material.

2) Okay, I don't understand this, because a script isn't just dialogue. It's probably an even split between dialogue and the actions of the characters. And sometimes more actions than dialogue - depends on the story.

3) No - you need to think Haiku: maximum image with minimum words.

4) Three act structure has been around for 2,400 years... and is from Greece! It has been successfully used to tell dramatic stories for 2,400 years without problem.

The problem may not be the medium, the problem may be that you are not working hard enough.

- Bill

Also pryce, don't take this as some screenwriters being defensive. If you don't particularly like the screenplay format, there really is nothing wrong with that. As directorik said, you may just prefer to write in prose. Even with prose writing, authors have their own style, some of them more adaptable to screenwriting than most. Hemingway's style would lend itself well to screenwriting, whereas someone like Robert Penn Warren, his style is the complete opposite.

You just have to find out what your preference is. Maybe you would rather write novels?

Pryce, I struggled with the format for a long time. Just using textbooks as guides, I felt extremely inhibited and gave up on writing several screenplays in the usual format, opting instead to make up my own format. And this worked to a certain extent because I was making these movies myself. I was able to convey to my regular actors and crew what my format meant and my visions were pretty much realized.

But then I branched out and started collaborating with other film artists on larger projects. There was no way my made-up screenplay format would fly with other artists that I'd not worked with before, no more than someone else could hand me their own personal made-up screenplay format and ask me to make the film.

I discovered the free screenwriting software Celtx and it turned my creative mind around. Writing within the screenplay format has never been easier. It really is brilliant in its economy and simplicity and I urge you to check it out further. I took a vast detour to arrive at the form everyone else knew was the best way, just because I'm stubborn. I thought I could find a better way to write movies because I was too stubborn to learn the proper form first.

But while the conventions of filmmaking and storytelling in general (3 act structure, etc) are pretty firm, there should be room in any artistic medium for the avant-garde. Don't let anyone tell you how to make movies! If you've got a different way of doing things, DO THEM DIFFERENTLY! If you've got a vision, a story to tell that's unconventional and a new way to make your vision on the screen, and there's no other way for you to do it, then perhaps whether or not anyone else "gets it" or your film has a life beyond your living room won't be as important to you.

Keep in mind, however, that the best practitioners of the avant-garde in any medium were masters of the conventional form first, as Jijenji pointed out earlier.

Best of luck and keep writing.

Last edited:
The problem may not be the medium, the problem may be that you are not working hard enough.

...it doesn't have to be that they aren't working hard enough....

Maybe you just don't quite have a story yet. I have an idea for two stories right now. I know what I want to happen, I know how I want it to end. I have to figure out how to get my story from start to end and until I do that, I don't have a story to tell yet. :)

-- spinner :cool:

Back