what do you do when you get a bad actor?

i shot a rehearsal, and one of the actors who i got from craigslist for the 2 person scene ended up having a thick accent and isnt showing much emotion during the scene. what should i do? the scene wont turn out the way it should have if he keeps the part, but we were emailing back and forth for about 2 months during the planning phase and hes the one who really made me hurry up to get this shot faster

You should have waited until you got a good actor.

How far are you into preproduction? Do you have the shooting days planned out yet?

Regardless of what actor you get, make sure you get along with them. It's best not to get actors that get emotional easily or do not like you/ you do not like them.

focus in on the reaction shots of other characters, get plenty of dialogue wilds from his lines so he can read with a script right in front of him. thats the best you can do to edit with a bad actor.

directing him is another story.. obviously it's going to be best if you can orchestrate and capture candid moments since the guy can't act. not sure what other approaches i would take. have you read the directing actors book by judith? it's full of ideas but it's not going to get blood from a rock

Like Lucky said, consider firing them if you have a better option.

If not, get lots of coverage so the poor performance can be covered up and get ready to ADR.

Fun times.

Back