• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

What are your opinions about using the terms: We See or We Hear, CUT TO, ANGLE ETC,

These terms are used in all the best screenplays, yet many people say it ruins the script. I think it's necassary to add these things because It is our job to tell what the camera sees. If we want to paint an image in someones mind, these terms do it well without actually saying, The Camera tilts and does a 360 rotation shot around the dead body.... Instead I can say, We Move Back and circle the dead body.... Yes, we're supposed to tell a story, but at the same time screenwriting isn't a book. We got to make the Reader feel like they are the camera. That's what I try to do when I write.

I never use the word Camera, but I do use Angle once in a while, only to make it clear that the veiwer, or reader, that whatever we are angleing on is important for some reason.

Tell me what you think, what terms do you use? Do you think I shouldn't use these terms and why? Why does every script you almost read use these scripts but it's so bad to use them? Tell us what you think?

When you say, I write for the Reader and I. Well, that's what I try to do to, that's why I use We see, We hear.

When reading this bit of information I can only wonder if you are speaking about something else then what others are telling you. I'm think you are speaking about the reader as anyone who will read your script from little Johnny next door, to mom sitting at the dinner table and to Fred down at the market. As for the others in this thread, they are speaking about readers who review screenplays for production companies, agents, actors, directors, etc. A reader in the industry is a working job which is the first line of defense so they (the people in the industry) don't get bombarded by horrible scripts.

Please allow me to say this, if you write a script and you are planning on shooting it yourself then the skies the limit on how you want to write it. If you are writing a script and are trying to sell it to the industry then you HAVE to follow protocol. If not then it gives people excuses NOT to read your story AND it allows them to know they have a novice in their hands. There are only a few whom that have either sold scripts, made movies on their own or have a concept which can't be passed up who can write how they want to. And if you think your idea is one which can't be passed up on then you are most likely fooling yourself. My suggestion, learn how to write a good script and then learn how to tell a good story.

Good luck.

And what camera should I buy if I wanted to make my own film. I want it to look Hollwywood quality and money is not an issue. Give me some brands and types. And if you can, a website to buy them.
"Hollywood" quality doesn't come from the camera you buy.
The quality you see in the big studio films comes from the skill,
experience and talent of the crew. If you are serious and money
not an issue you will hire a DP and rent a camera.

Okay. Will do. Then, I guess Im a step down. I just want to know what kind of Camera I should BUY if I wanted to practice on smaller projects. But I want the quality to be good. I can edit myself. Just wondered what kind I should get.

Pop over to the "Cameras & Lenses" forum. There are
a dozen threads discussing this very topic. Is money
really not an issue? Do you feel you can pay $10,000
for a camera? Are you ready to use a high end professional
camera?

If you are serious and money
not an issue you will hire a DP and rent a camera.

I'd took that a step further and hired a DP that had his own camera. This allows you to use the $ on the talent not the rental. Try to find someone with a good reel that is looking for the right project. If the DP likes your project he may be willing to work around budget constraints.

I never use 'we' or transitions anymore. However, I do use ING words. Are we talking about something like this?:
John runs for the end of the road, snatching his hand bag off the lamp post.

Is there something wrong with that? Because I use Ing words like crazy to keep actions that go together in the same sentence.

I never use 'we' or transitions anymore. However, I do use ING words. Are we talking about something like this?:
John runs for the end of the road, snatching his hand bag off the lamp post.

Is there something wrong with that? Because I use Ing words like crazy to keep actions that go together in the same sentence.

Nothing wrong with it. But "snatches" is more active
than "snatching".

There is no reason to get mired in the miasma of writing
a script. The reality is if your script is good enough to
attract top talent nothing we have been discussing here
will make a difference. And if it isn't - nothing we have
been discussing here will make a difference.

And if you are writing to make for yourself, how you write
doesn't matter.

There is no reason to get mired in the miasma of writing
a script. The reality is if your script is good enough to
attract top talent nothing we have been discussing here
will make a difference. And if it isn't - nothing we have
been discussing here will make a difference.

Sacrilege! :P

The endeavor of a true craftsman is mastery of the tools. :D

Back