What are the first things a budding filmmaker should learn?

*and what if those budding filmmakers had little money?

What lessons do you think would be most important for a rookie with no money?

Story. Story is king. Without a story, you have nothing. Study literature, classic narrative structure, the hero paradigm, three act structure... Unless you're wanting to specialize in a technical field, understanding how to tell a story is probably more important than learning how to run camera/edit/record sound....

I think the wink means you will learn the hard way if you have that attitude.

The i$$ue i$ making it $eamle$$.

Post should be about creativity, it should not be emergency surgery.

Get it right in the first place; you can always screw it up later.

Well the wink was my sarcasm tag ;)
The subtext of my post was ... get it right in production!

I like 'delegation' as a note.

I would go further and say: Realise that you're not a genius at everything and you're never going to be. Find the aspect of filmmaking where there is a convergence of your enjoyment and your ability. You're not going to be able to do everything, and one-man-bands rarely make it out the garage. For a lot of indie filmmakers, this is about having the humility to admit that you aren't necessarily that good at everything, and not see that as a criticism of your overall ability as a filmmaker.

I like 'delegation' as a note.

I would go further and say: Realise that you're not a genius at everything and you're never going to be. Find the aspect of filmmaking where there is a convergence of your enjoyment and your ability. You're not going to be able to do everything, and one-man-bands rarely make it out the garage. For a lot of indie filmmakers, this is about having the humility to admit that you aren't necessarily that good at everything, and not see that as a criticism of your overall ability as a filmmaker.

Even a genius would delegate, he's a genius right? I see it differently than you. Yes, it may be your ego keeping you back but it doesn't mean you aren't good at those tasks. It's about being able to surrender that power, and it might be because you are really good at it. Cinematography for example.

If you can handle DP as well you can go for it like Rodriguez, but don't try to fill all the roles yourself and maybe realize the addition of DP and others would bring new creativity to the project and let you direct. Fill creative rolls and crew roles. You're the director you can always veto something. :)

The film is still your vision, but open your eyes. ;)

I think it's a bad idea to spend money hiring for your first project.
First projects are for learning, not for spending.

Back