What are some techno thrillers shot for under $50K

I only dredged up a couple, I can give modern examples you like. Plus as far as commercial value goes, some of the movies on that list are about the same level as suspense as the examples I have given. Fatal Attraction and Cape Fear are on that list, and the action sequences in those are in the same league or lower, than the examples I gave.

I could write it like Argo and not a shot fired. However the cops are going to come for the bad guys and vs. versa. Cops don't like to die quietly and neither do terrorists. So it's going to have it get ugly somehow, since a lot of characters have to do die in order for certain plot turns to happen.

Last edited:
I only dredged up a couple, I can give modern examples you like. Plus as far as commercial value goes, some of the movies on that list are about the same level as suspense as the examples I have given. Fatal Attraction and Cape Fear are on that list, and the commercial value I was aiming for, action sequence wise, was about the same as those movies at least.

Cape Fear : 35 million
Fatal Attraction: 14 million.

Okay thanks. I thought it would be less money. My friends who are doing their own feature, did a knife fight and chase scene, and the only thing they had to pay for was props, wardrobe, and the actors. That only added up to about $600. So I thought since it costs them that, that mine would not be too high.

How good is the film? :hmm:

And you keep bringing up an interior scene similar to the film "Heat". Did they do that? Are they using guns, blood, and VFX?

24 is not really an action show.

From time to time, yes it is an action show. Even if it didn't have action, it still costs money to make.

El Mariachi was good for doing something with action in a budget

Rodriguez got away with stuff that would land us in jail.

Think of a microbudget version of 24. Kind of like El Mariachi meets 24.

I REPEAT : Rodriguez got away with stuff that would land us in jail. Mixed with elements of 24? Not going to happen at the budget you're working at.

3390182310_f86c82cb95.jpg

Cape Fear : 35 million
Fatal Attraction: 14 million.

Also, expanding on this point, Cape Fear - 1991 remake by Scorsese starring De Niro and Nolte. 22 years ago.

Fatal Attraction - 1987 film by Lyne staring Douglas and Close. 26 years ago.

Since El Mariachi was released in 1992, OLDER films do not fit rayw's criteria of a more modern film. Also since these were both done by established directors with A-list actors, so not really relevant in any way to what could be done and what could be marketable on a sub-micro budget.

Since El Mariachi was released in 1992, OLDER films do not fit rayw's criteria of a more modern film.

Good point. A few examples of modern films would help.

A few questions:

Who do you want to "win", the cops or the terrorists? What is the terrorist's big plan? How do the cops know about the terrorists? What locations are available to you, and in which ones could you have action scenes? What's the climax of the film going to be?

The climax is that they pretty much kill each other and that nobody wins. I'm not saying I would do it like El Mariachi. El Mariachi was made before After Effects and Action Essentials was. We wouldn't use real guns, and need permits and all that.

For modern examples, the ending to United 93 (couldn't find it on youtube), and this fight scene from Eastern Promises:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cSP8u9N1Vg

Would these have potential value to an audience of a low key action suspense thriller, with a story of cops vs. terrorists?

I only dredged up a couple, I can give modern examples you like... Fatal Attraction and Cape Fear are on that list, and the action sequences in those are in the same league or lower, than the examples I gave.

Fatal Attraction 1987! 26 yrs ago! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093010/?ref_=sr_1
Cape Fear 1991! 22 yrs ago! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101540/?ref_=sr_1

QUIT CITING ANCIENT FILMS FOR MODERN PRODUCTION!
THEY HAVE NO, ZERO, NO RELEVANCE TO ANY PRICE METRIC!

What is the title of this thread? "What are some techno thrillers shot for under $50K"

Now, if you want action or thriller elements of ancient thrillers, then by all means - gopherit!
But when considering any price or cost of anything bullsh!t like 1992's 'El Mariachi' and 1972's 'Last House on The Left' it just don't mean sh!t.

And it's apparent that you don't really mean thriller at all.
You're repeatedly talking about trying to make an action movie.

In this third script of yours how many pages of action sequences are there?
Is there only one shoot out between parties?
Is there only one car chase?

Now, lettuce get back to the $50k hole in your bank account you wanna dig.

A. Do you honestly hope to get that money back in revenues? Yes? No?
Yes: How? How are you going to get WHO to give you more thand $50k for 'Action/Thriller Script #3'?
Gonna cold call some distributors? Gonna pick up a distributor on the film festival circuit? Gonna strike VOD gold?​
No: Cool. You're free to spend your money any way you darn well please.​

B. Does that $50k include marketing + promotion or just production?
Marketing + Production: Cool. So really it's $15-$20k for marketing + $25-30k for production.
Just Production: Super. You know you'll probably spend anywhere from half to equal to production to get enough people to know about your film to buy it because unless a MARKETING distributor picks it up no one but your six degrees of separation (with each degree precipitously dropping in interest) is going to even know about 'Action/Thriller Script #3'.
Unless, the answer to question A above was "No", in which case you're back to just a $50k hole in your bank account + a 90-110min monstrosity only 400 people will ever watch. Ever.​

C. Now, for simplicity's sake let's consider spending that entire $50k on production.
Average feature is 90-110min long; the shorter the film the more you can spend per screen minute.
$50,000 Production Budget
/ 90-110min Run Time
= $555-454 per screen minute.​

IDK where you plan on showing your film for distribution, but a cheapo $1M film has a production budget of $11k-9k per screen minute budget.
A (still) relatively cheapo $5M action thriller film has a production budget of $55-45k per screen minute budget.

What is it again you've got planned to spend per final edit screen minute? $454 to $555.

Wow.

F#ck me.

That's like asking a skinny kindergardener to go up against a pro football team in hand to hand combat.
Pfft. It'll be a GD massacre.

So, no.

Keep some silly effing perspective on just how much you can push your tech.

I'm gonna spitball guess it'll take you 50hrs of raw footage to collect enough material to edit down into a tight little 90min film.
Could be 30hrs.
Could be 100hrs.

Lettuce say you plan on doing all of your own writing, planning, organizing, scouting, permitting, video editing, color correction, color grading, audio editing, audio 3.0 mixing, and audio SFX wizardry.
You can honestly do probably half of your marketing and promotion.
And your time doesn't mean sh!t. You pay yourself nothing. You love this sh!t.
So, you gotta pay... who?
Cast & crew.
Locations & Permits.
Insurance.
Costumes & props.
Destroyables (because I know darn good and well you wanna tear up some sh!t that CGI and AE just can't do.)

Lettuce say it's reasonably going to take you a full 12-16hr day to collect just 2hrs of raw video, and you gotta collect roughly 50hrs of raw video = 25 working days = an easy four to six working shooting weeks, weather and schedules permitting.
(Could be as little as 15 working days. Could be as much as 50 days.)
Limbo time where no one's doing nothing due to weather and schedules doesn't count, so it could easily take two or three months to bag and tag production between pre- and post-production.

Lettuce say you're going to spend the whopping majority of that $50k across those magic 15-25-50 working days.
$45k non pre&post-production budget
/ 15-25-50 days
= $3k-1.8k-0.9k per day​

Seriously?

You're going to spend almost two thousand dollars a day for twenty-five days across two or three months to shoot a film that has d@mn near no chance of going anywhere or doing anything?

For really?

Pig in a poke.

Total spec filmmaking.

Okay.

Proly NSFW: http://image.spreadshirt.com/image-...0.png/fucking-nuts-women-s-t-shirt_design.png

Because for all of the goofy questions you ask at this forum I have serious doubts about your ability to organize this project or proficiently operate the equipment, and... Lord only knows how well you can edit for time and content, THEN color correct, THEN color grade, THEN edit audio, THEN add audio FX, because you've only shown a single scene of such that I can recall, but surely you can make a 3.0 audio mix as any monkey with opposable thumbs should be able to do that.

And then you gotta market and promote your film during their festival runs and during their time uploaded to any VOD service, otherwise it's just going to waste hard drive space.

20120325FilmitAndTheyWillCome.png

Filmmaking is like parenting: getting knocked up, gestating, and delivering the baby is the EASY part! NOW what do you do?!

Have you done a budget breakdown similar to the $100k film budget from this post? http://www.indietalk.com/showthread.php?p=264223#post264223

CAN a decent $50k film be made?
Yeah, I honestly believe it CAN be done.
Is it likely? No. Not really. Not at all really.
There's a giant effing no-man's-land between vacation money and several million dollars where it's just foolish to spend money on filmmaking.
God knows I've been hunting for that magical distribution outlet nirvana where 10¢ of effort reaps $10 in return, but "No", I haven't found it. Yet.

I gave two modern examples, United 93 and Eastern Promises. Did you not read my post!

I am trying to do the budget break down but a lot of it will determine on locations and how much they will charge. Since this would be in the future, I don't know. I was thinking of spending $20000 on marketing, but I know that's not much. I would do the editing and grading myself. Sound mixing I would hire someone.

There is only one main shootout between the parties, plus a couple of smaller ones. There would be only one car chase or on foot chase, depending on if i can find a post FX guy good enough to pull off the car chase.

Last edited:
I gave two modern examples, United 93 and Eastern Promises. Did you not read my post!
I was writing my post while you posted yours.

United 93 (2006) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0475276/?ref_=sr_2
Eastern Promises (2007) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0765443/?ref_=sr_1

Better.

<5yrs would be best.
<3yrs even better.

And even still, how many examples of <$1M action/thriller film examples have you received?

Again, do you plan on making a return on 'Script #3' or just to spend money on it?

I haven't recieved any. I wouldn't consider it an action film. I mean United 93 is not called an action film and neither is Eastern Promises, but they still have small lower key action sequences in them. I am mainly concentrating on storytelling, but their still has to be some sort of logical confrontations for when the good and evil characters collide, so to speak.

My aim would be to get DVD distribution.

Last edited:
I haven't recieved any. I wouldn't consider it an action film. I mean United 93 is not called an action film and neither is Eastern Promises, but they still have small lower key action sequences in them. I am mainly concentrating on storytelling, but their still has to be some sort of logical confrontations for when the good and evil characters collide, so to speak.

What makes this cop/agent vs. terrorist/criminal film different from others?

I haven't recieved any.
So, "None".
No one here has seen a sub-$50k actiony thriller. Hmm... :weird:

Start cross-referencing the more obscure of these titles against their IMDB estimated budgets, if available:
(Sometimes you gotta check out the director's other feature films to get an idea of what budget ballpark they play in.)
http://popcornflix.com/browse.aspx?g=Action/Thrillers
http://www.crackle.com/c/thriller
http://www.iwannawatch.ch/category/thriller/
http://www.latestmovieswatchonline.net/category/thriller/
http://www.megamovieline.com/?gen=Thriller
http://www.solarmovie.me/watch-category/hollywood/thriller
http://www.theworldsbestever.info/category/uncategorized/thriller-uncategorized/

Skip the festival route entirely? Cool. No argument here.
Gonna cold call DVD distributors with 'Action/Thriller Script #3' final edit in hand?
Or how otherwise you gonna sell DVDs? Surely not off a web page and out of the garage, right?

Last edited:
Well the terrorists reason to go against the government I haven't seen before in any other movie, and their are a couple of twists with the main cop character I haven't seen before either. Usually the reason is religion or for monetary or ransom gain, so I came up with one, social infrastructure related, that I haven't seen before. Some of the police procedurals and ideas I got from real cops while writing it which I have also never seen in movies.

Last edited:
Well the terrorists reason to go against the government I haven't seen before in any other movie, and their are a couple of twists with the main cop character I haven't seen before either. Usually the reason is religion or for monetary or ransom gain, so I came up with one, I haven't seen before. Some of the police procedurals and ideas I got from real cops while writing it which I have also never seen in movies.

What is the reason the terrorists are against the government?

I gave two modern examples, United 93 and Eastern Promises.

OK, United 93 had a budget of $15m, Eastern Promises $25m. You said you're going to hire a sound guy, now is that a whole sound guy, full time? How many years/decades are you going to hire them for to finish your film?

Really H44 you need to learn more, just reading the info on IMDB would be a start! You are not going to get commercial quality by hiring a sound guy. Commercial quality requires entire teams of audio personnel, in the case of Eastern Promises the audio team had 29 highly paid professionals and in the case of United 93 the audio team comprised 46 professionals, plus of course all the equipment/facilities they would require. How are you going to achieve roughly the same thing (commercial quality) with one sound guy, what's your amazing plan?

G

Well I meant one person, if he or she could take on the whole thing. For the production I would need more. A PSM and boom op to start. Why does their have to be so many audio people? Their is an indie film being made where I live, which I am helping out on, and the post sound is all being done by one guy. So far it sound decent. Not like United 93, but passable, and he is doing about 10 minutes of the movie per week about.

Why does their have to be so many audio people?

OK, let's look at the roles necessary for audio post: Sound Designer, Supervising Sound Editor, Dialogue Editor, ADR Supervisor, ADR recordist, ADR Editor, ADR Mixer, Foley Artist, Foley Recordist, Foley Editor, Foley Mixer, Sound FX Designer/s, Sound FX Editor (many features have sub-teams for the SFX department; such as Ambiances, hard FX, etc.), Sound FX Mixer and Re-Recording Mixer/s. It is possible for one person to do all these roles providing you're happy to schedule 2+ years or so for the audio post production!

Their is an indie film being made where I live, which I am helping out on, and the post sound is all being done by one guy. So far it sound decent. Not like United 93, but passable, and he is doing about 10 minutes of the movie per week about.

Again, we come back to what you consider decent and passable. Are you talking decent and passable by commercial theatrical standards, network TV standards, or Youtube standards? If we are talking theatrical, there is no way no way on this earth that one person can do all the roles listed above on a 90min feature in 9 weeks without very severely compromising quality. There is essentially a 0% chance they will achieve even network TV standards, let alone theatrical standards! "Passable" as far as the film industry is concerned is considerably lower than United 93 standards but appears to still be way, way higher than what you consider "passable"!! Again, why don't you just look up a few films on IMDb, how hard is that?!! You will find that even extremely low budget films usually have 6-20 audio post personnel and the big action blockbusters usually have somewhere around 50-80 (and the audio post takes 4-5 months)! You think all these film makers (low budget and mega budget) are hiring reams of audio post personnel because they need to get rid of the piles of money they've got left over after they've finished filming? Or, do you think it's more likely that these film makers are hiring the personnel needed to do the job (to the standards they require) and that actually it's you who doesn't have a clue what commercial standards are or what is required to achieve them?

G

I am taking police SWAT training right now, from a guy who teaches, and I have gotten into the course, cause movie making is a reason that they would teach it.

What exactly do you mean by this? What is the point of taking a "SWAT Training" Course? Are you a policeman with previous history looking to get into their squad? Or do you believe that being "trained" like a SWAT member will help you block and stage action scenes better? If you are interested in SWAT teams, why not read the book by Balko mentioned in this article?

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-militarization-of-americas-police-2013-7

But this would be in the future though, when I can find a good crew for it that is interested.

Then why do you continue to bring up such questions now, in the present, when what you are attempting to discuss is supposedly going to ahppen in the future?

Honestly, I seriously doubt that you will ever get around to this "micro budget 24 meets El Mariachi" because with all the time that you spend fighting all of the advice provided by all of the nice people on here, you could actually learn half of this stuff on our own. And please, take that as a challenge and prove me wrong - I will gladly accept being wrong if you indeed are actually able to get to the stage that you keep referring to.

Back