• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

camera What are some of your' favorite scenes ever filmed?

I know this may be a topic for cinematography gurus, and sorry to post out of my league here, but lets see some vids of the best of the best cinematography work ever!

Last edited:
One shot, unbroken

This is the latest from a series of films from Coppola and Fricke, where the entire movie is driven by cinematography. There are underlying themes about mankind's imbalance with the natural world, but mainly, they took a couple of imax cameras, bolted them together, and traveled the world looking for opportunities for great cinematography. In a way, these films are the ultimate answer to your question. They did ditch the custom dual imax after a while, but the new stuff looks just as good, better really.

Planet Earth (the bbc series) boasts some of the most impressive work ever seen. The original series was at the time the highest budget production in the history of the UK. It's the carefully curated work of hundreds of professional photographers, some of whom went to extraordinary lengths to get a shot, such as living with snow leopards for six months.

I get caught up in the acting, the writing, and the drama of the sequence, and I have to make a conscious effort to pay attention to the sound, the music, the lighting, the editing, and especially Tommy Schlamme's camera, which, for me, for a TV show, is as good as it gets.

Last edited:
Quick request - clarification on the question. The post title says best scene (which I translate as best dramatic, or best all round) and then the actual first post talks about cinematography, which is what I answered. No problem doing both, I just wondered if this was supposed to be about one or the other.

No, and that's one of the things that I really love about that scene.

I've read that some people "know" based on lip reading and/or subsequent comments by the actors and/or the director (Sophia Coppola). But I'm happy not to know.

I have no idea to this day what those two italian ladies were singing about.
Truth is I don't wanna know. Some things are best left unsaid.

I like to think they were singing about something so beautiful it can't be expressed in words.

Last edited:
Quick request - clarification on the question. The post title says best scene (which I translate as best dramatic, or best all round) and then the actual first post talks about cinematography, which is what I answered. No problem doing both, I just wondered if this was supposed to be about one or the other.
I am always good with threads changing/adding/evolving from original topic, too good of stuff to not read about! :)

Last edited:
In that case, here are some good dramatic scenes -

Vanilla Sky gives you something to think about. What would you do, wake up and face a new reality or go back to sleep?

Network is one of my favorite movies. I too am "mad as hell and I'm not going to take it any longer!!" :)

Falling down. Michael Douglas' character is so over the edge, he doesn't realize until the very end; "you mean I'm the bad guy?" .

Back