What are distributors doing for indie today?

What are brick and mortar distributors doing for indie movies these days that is worth a hill of beans? After all ANYBODY can sign up with Amazon Advantage and have their DVD for sale on there. And last time I checked (although a few years ago) it was a one-time $750 charge to get your movie for sale digitally on iTunes and Amazon. Then we have the question of how robust are digital sales anyway? $750 is a LOT to fork over which is why I haven't done it yet.

I had a distributor offer to handle an indie movie of mine but I am very skeptical. I don't see any indie films in any of what's left of brick and mortar stores. So that leaves digital and DVD distribution to Amazon and iTunes basically. I CAN DO THAT MYSELF! And there's no free lunches in this world. If this distributor pays $750 to get my movie for sale on iTunes then they're simply going to deduct that cost before I see any revenues. Overall a distributor just seems like an extra middleman taking money out of my pocket. What do you think?

I've signed contracts with 3 traditional media distributors. I've also been presented with even more dummy contracts. I have friends and acquaintances who have signed about 10 media distribution contracts.

But do you own any leather-bound books, and does your house smell of fresh mahogany? Cuz it kinda sounds like you're a big deal.

You are just an audio guy.

He's got a bit of bite...

Stick with astronomy or astrology before you hit the submit button.

But missed the mark on this one.

No real need to attempt to get nasty, but I digress.

Until you're been in the trenches then you don't know what kind of risk you are taking with small media distributors.

I've personally got a decent overview of the situation. There are a lot of companies in the world that are trading while essentially they're insolvent. Their only way to tread water is to stiff people until the cards come tumbling down. It happens in more industries than you'd like to believe.

I do get everyone's point of view on this one. I also think that it does depend on the individual. I also think there would be some good small distributors. It comes down to an old saying, "You cannot cheat an honest man." If you truly have value in your film, finding the right distribution from a reputable distributor should happen, though it may still be a tough battle. You need to do your homework. It's not just the deal being offered, but the person/company offering the deal. A deal that is too good to be true is often just that. Tiny joe who is broke with no experience in distributing films like yours is unlikely to pay, no matter what the deal you signed.

Hell, you often read/hear of fights that people who feel they are owed money from studio contracts.

You are just an audio guy.

Correct. Just an audio guy who's made a living as a professional in the film/TV industry for over 20 years and spent much of that time working directly with successful professional producers and directors.

Until you're been in the trenches ...

You've obviously never run a business within the TV/film industry and never even been "in the trenches", yet you apparently know more about the trenches than those who've lived in them for 20 years. I maybe just an audio guy but what are you? ... Good luck getting into and surviving the trenches. Your posts indicate you barely know the difference between the trenches and your elbow, so you're going to need an astronomical pile of luck!

You don't know anything about business.

Coming from you, I'll take that as a compliment!

G

Correct. Just an audio guy who's made a living as a professional in the film/TV industry for over 20 years and spent much of that time working directly with successful professional producers and directors.

You've obviously never run a business within the TV/film industry and never even been "in the trenches", yet you apparently know more about the trenches than those who've lived in them for 20 years. I maybe just an audio guy but what are you? ... Good luck getting into and surviving the trenches. Your posts indicate you barely know the difference between the trenches and your elbow, so you're going to need an astronomical pile of luck!

Coming from you, I'll take that as a compliment!

G
Just an audio guy who has never signed with a distributor. Thank you for confirming what I was certain of.

Just an audio guy who has never signed with a distributor.

I've signed many deals with distributors and broadcasters as a contractor, a copyright holder of elements of films/programs and on occasion as a joint copyright holder of an entire production. And, with 20 years in the business I've witnessed the details and fall out of countless commercial distribution and broadcast deals.

Thank you for confirming what I was certain of.

No, thank you for once again for confirming that you've no idea what you're talking about and that your guarantees and certainties are worthless!

G

I've signed many deals with distributors and broadcasters as a contractor, a copyright holder of elements of films/programs and on occasion as a joint copyright holder of an entire production. And, with 20 years in the business I've witnessed the details and fall out of countless commercial distribution and broadcast deals.

No, thank you for once again for confirming that you've no idea what you're talking about and that your guarantees and certainties are worthless!

G
You also have confirmed your arrogance for what I believe is the second time. Your lackadaisical "advice" about indie distributors is dangerous. Again stay in your lane. Not the business lane.

You also have confirmed your arrogance for what I believe is the second time.

Is it arrogance to give advice which has helped me to remain in the industry for 20 years or is it arrogant to give advice which has failed to even get you into the industry? Again, what you "believe", are "certain" of and "guarantee" have already been shown to be meaningless drivel!

Again stay in your lane. Not the business lane.

I will stay in my "lane" thank you very much (as a professional business owner in the Film/TV industry) and it looks like a certainty that you're going to stay in your lane too!

G

Is it arrogance to give advice which has helped me to remain in the industry for 20 years or is it arrogant to give advice which has failed to even get you into the industry? Again, what you "believe", are "certain" of and "guarantee" have already been shown to be meaningless drivel!

I will stay in my "lane" thank you very much (as a professional business owner in the Film/TV industry) and it looks like a certainty that you're going to stay in your lane too!

G
You know nothing about me in addition to knowing nothing about the pitfalls of indie contracts. I earn a decent 5 figure annual living independently distributing my content and have been for about 14 years now. The "decently fast lane" is my "lane". In the early days I learned the ins and outs of indie media contracts and how some contracts are not worth the paper they're written on. I consider myself a spokesperson for indie success! You on the other hand are not any kind of authority on indie distribution contracts and how to protect oneself because you have no experience in the matter.

You come here asking newbie questions about distributors, spend all your time bleating about how you and everyone you know have only ever been ripped off by distros ....

I've signed contracts with 3 traditional media distributors. I've also been presented with even more dummy contracts. I have friends and acquaintances who have signed about 10 media distribution contracts. ... Everyone I know who used a small distributor never saw a check.

And now you say ...

I earn a decent 5 figure annual living independently distributing my content and have been for about 14 years now.

If you make such a great living from independently distributing, why do you seem to know so little about independent distribution channels, why don't you just continue making a great living from independent distribution rather than asking about distros and why are you ranting about being ripped off and never seeing a check from distros?

Who's trying to "kid" who? Your posts have gone from the ignorant assertions of an amateur to the hypocritical and plain ridiculous! Thanks for playing along.

G

Last edited:
You come here asking newbie questions about distributors, spend all your time bleating about how you and everyone you know have only ever been ripped off by distros ....

And now you say ...

If you make such a great living from independently distributing, why do you seem to know so little about independent distribution channels, why don't you just continue making a great living from independent distribution rather than asking about distros and why are you ranting about being ripped off and never seeing a check from distros?

Who's trying to "kid" who? Your posts have gone from the ignorant assertions of an amateur to the hypocritical and plain ridiculous! Thanks for playing along.

G
I make a great living doing it on my own with non-traditional distribution channels. Simple. But this seems to be a complex and confusing thinking process for someone who only knows audio. Again, stay in your lane. You are showing your ignorance.

Wow. Reading this is like watching a car crash - it's so awful I can't look away.

I've learned only one thing from this shouting match: I've added several more people to my personal "do not hire" list :)

Last edited:
Back