What After School?

So I've really been thinking lately on what to do after getting a degree. What would be the next course of action into trying to start a career. If there was every a time to take risks it would be right out of college. Just been thinking about this a lot recently and wondered if anyone could help.

Seems better to me before college.. after college most people have a lot of debt they need to start paying off.

You don't need a degree to take risks.
You get a degree to work a cushy job and get a nice stable paycheck.

In the UK, you don't have to start paying off your debt until you're earning at a certain level, so a lot of people use those first few years to make sure they're moving into the correct profession.

I wouldn't advise you to be reckless about it, but if you want to start a career in film, then straight out of college is a great time. If it hasn't worked out, a couple of years down the line, you've still got your degree and can make a change of direction and still be young enough to make your way to the top. A change of career direction in your 30s, 40s or 50s is going to be a lot bigger, in terms of the changes in makes to your life. So I think the best thing to do is try and shake of that uncertainty in your 20s and find something stable that you enjoy for the rest of your time.

Clearly we each offer advice based on our own experiences. I made a
major career change in my 30's and another in my 40's. I'm glad I did.
When I was in my 20's I didn't know what I wanted.

I agree with Nick; don't be reckless. But taking risks is (in my opinion)
essential. And it's easier to take risks before you have a degree than after.
But then I'm a risk taker. I never wanted something stable that I would
enjoy for the rest of my life. I thrive on risk and change – thus my career
changes.

So it really depends on the individual, doesn't it? Are you a risk taker,
Frank? Or are you looking for something more stable? I always make the
assumption that people considering film as a career are risk takers. That
assumption isn't always correct.

Well I may be in a very different place than most people in that I have free tuition in my state because I'm part native american so debt shouldn't be to much of a problem. I think I would have a hard time also convincing my parents to let me take time off people going to college. I like to think of myself as a risk taker yes. I find it hard to think of a way a job in film could be stable. I also wanted to know what would I do if I moved to LA. Would I look for a regular job just to get income? I can't imagine it would be that easy to get a job as a crew member for something. I may be wrong. Is it even worth moving out there? Is there a better place to go because I think I would have a hard time finding work where I live (Detroit). I may be over thinking all of this. I also want to know, is it realistic to hope to making a living off of this? Not getting rich but being able to live modest life. Sorry I know there is a lot of questions in this but any help would be appreciated.

LA is best if you want to be an actor.

If you're trying to be a film maker you can learn anywhere. Sometimes people fly OUT of LA to film somewhere else just because it's cheaper. All the businesses out in LA know exactly how much it's worth to film on location and they will charge a lot more than say, maryland or michigan.

No debt is great. You can also spend that college time practicing.

Honestly though, the older I get the more interested I am in learning. I'd probably get more out of college now than I did right out of high school.

What degree are you getting?

I think your parents would be okay with putting a year off college if you spent that year with a job in the field you want to get your degree in.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean but I plan on getting a bachelor's degree from grand valley state. I don't even know that I'm gonna get in there though so I have a lot that could still change.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean but I plan on getting a bachelor's degree from grand valley state. I don't even know that I'm gonna get in there though so I have a lot that could still change.

bachelors of what? a bachelor's degree in psychology will get you nowhere.

Haha. Okay we are talking about film school now.
Yeah sure if it's free I'd say learn first and then go take the risk after.

The next course of action is a great script.

Last edited:
Back