Weird movies you liked as a kid

Always interested to hear what people say...

the care bears movie (1984 version)
the return to oz (still trips me out to this day - the dudes that skate on their hands creeped me the eff out, but i loved tic toc!)

you?

'Quatermass 2' (1957) A very well done and fast paced science-fiction shocker (yeah, British and fast paced - amazing huh!). A head of it's time, fore runner of today's scary science-fiction films.
For the more 'gothic', in 1960, I loved the Italian 'Black Sunday' (aka La Maschera Del Demonio or The Mask of Satan) with Barbara Steele and directed by Mario Bara.
And 'The Blob' with Steve McQueen (1958), I checked my heating vent and under the bed for weeks after viewing.
Television played an important part in growing up in the late 1950's (when I was a young guy).
Boris Karloff's Thriller had two very well done episodes 'The Hungry Glass' and 'Cheaters'.
Twilight Zone's 'To Serve Man', 'The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street', 'Will The Real Martian Please Stand Up?' and 'The Midnight Sun'.
Books played an important part too (when I was young). Like ERB's Martian series (John Carter) and Robert Bloch, Richard Matheson and Shirley Jackson... but you only asked about movies...

The Sand "muthafuckin" Lot. I added the "muthafuckin" part.

Labyrinth,
Never Ending Story,
GI Joes the movie

And I second the Wizard. Was so disappointed when I actually bought a power-glove after seeing how amazing it was in that movie.

The Sand "muthafuckin" Lot. I added the "muthafuckin" part.

YES

The sandlot will always be among my top 5 favorite movies of all time. I remember watching that almost everyday and then going outside and playing baseball until we couldn't see the ball anymore. Awesome.

Anyone from our generation who didn't have the Sandlot in their child hood missed out, big time.

I'd say the "weirdest" movie I watched wasn't really a movie at all, but rather, it was a VHS tape of two Muppet Show episodes: Vincent Price and Alice Cooper. I didn't appreciate it as much as I would now, but I found the episodes so bizarrely amusing that I watched them over and over again.

I LOVED Labrynth (I actually watched it again recently, and it is still fabulously weird), Return to Oz (I agree about the creepy skating guys), The Wizard, and Little Monsters. I'd love for them to redo that one.

I went to strange movies (for a kid) as a kid...all my friends went to see Goonies while I opted for 2010: The Year We Make Contact. They went to Gremilins; I preferred The Right Stuff.

I went to strange movies (for a kid) as a kid...all my friends went to see Goonies

The Goonies represents a perfect encapsulation of that time of my life. I was the same age as Sean Astin at that time. I love how Richard Donner allowed the kids to improvise their dialogue and make it realistic. No adult would have written "1342, is that a year or something? No, it's your high score on Pole Position"... An adult at that time would never have known how great an insult that is.

"1342, is that a year or something? No, it's your high score on Pole Position"... An adult at that time would never have known how great an insult that is.

:lol:

Though I didn't see it as a kid I fell in love with it later on, for exactly that reason, Sonnyboo.

What do you mean as 'weird?' :) Obviously strange? :)

Here are movies I loved as a kid:

* Explorers (first half is amazing, second not so amazing)
* Howard the Duck
* Time Bandits (love love love...still do)
* Creep Show (scared the piss out of me as a kid...but I loved it and still do)

Those are just a few that come to mind.

What do you mean as 'weird?' :) Obviously strange? :)

Here are movies I loved as a kid:

* Explorers (first half is amazing, second not so amazing)
* Howard the Duck
* Time Bandits (love love love...still do)
* Creep Show (scared the piss out of me as a kid...but I loved it and still do)

Those are just a few that come to mind.

Holy crap i forgot about Time Bandits.

Howard the Duck wasn't weird it was just bad lol.

My favorite was Rock n Roll High School . It introduced me to The Ramones and I watched it every time it was on . I was only 4 or 5 , and this movie was really trippy to me so I kept asking my Dad " is that a real band or are they like The Monkees ?I didn't care because it was the best . And when the Hall Monitor eats the gold fish .... classic . I also loved Creepshow , Monsters , Tales From The Darkside , and Tales From The Crypt .

Time Bandits is great, I also loved Labrynth but mostly because I had a huge crush on Jennifer Connolly.

I also liked a lot of martial arts movies like Kid With The Golden Arm and Enter the Ninja

In high school I really liked Warlock and Johnny Got His Gun

Back