Weapons and Props

Hey there! I love filming short action movies, and for weapons (guns) I have always used my old BB Guns, but I would like to buy a bigger fake gun (maybe a M4, or an AK47 etc), but now you aren't allowed to buy BB Guns unless they are clear or got an orange end in the UK which don't look realistic. I don't have the time or money to go to a different country to purchase another BB Gun.

Does anyone know of any sites online that sells fake guns and other weapon props that ships to the UK?

Thank for your time,

Jack.

Buy one and paint the end? Whatever you do, be very careful - brandishing an imitation firearm in public in the UK without the relevant permits is likely to get you shot or locked up.

Listen to Chili - it is taken VERY seriously in the Uk.

If you must then try and make it int. to minimise the possibility of someone dropping a coin and having the "big boys" show up!:D

Buy one and paint the end? Whatever you do, be very careful - brandishing an imitation firearm in public in the UK without the relevant permits is likely to get you shot or locked up.

Exactly what he should do. A make sure you notify your neighborhood and the police that you are just making a movie and not actually shooting anyone.

If you must then try and make it int. to minimise the possibility of someone dropping a coin and having the "big boys" show up!:D

Yup - I shot a feature where we had a real shotgun in one scene and although we were filming inside, we still had to be very careful to keep windows covered up to stop passers-by seeing in. If someone spots a gun and calls the police, the first you'll know is when an ARU turns up - they're not going to send a couple of CSOs to pop round first and see if they've got the wrong end of the stick.

For the first time ever I'm going to disagree with chilipie... :D

In the UK it's actually an offence to produce imitation weapons weapons, especially as you can't get licenses for them. If you are caught by the police with handmade fake weapons and no documentation then there will be trouble (not jail trouble, but still trouble). I would recommend looking at an armourers like apexfirearms.com where you can be guaranteed that the use of these weapons would compromise either your own legality or that of your insurance...

Just tips but it's always best to err on the side of caution, especially in this country...

What can be a really big help is actually going to the police to ask their advice. Having the local cops on your side is a big plus; if nothing else they look the other way over minor things - which brandishing even fake weapons is not! - and can be helpful pointing you in the direction of locations and friendly business owners. Hey, I make my $20 contribution to the Silver Shield Association and get a sticker for my car every year, and just wave "hi" when a patrol car goes by or I see a cop directing traffic or whatever. The good will accumulates over the years.

And a freebee for all you writers - hang out a local cops bar (every city/town has one) one a regular basis and buy a few rounds; you'll hear some amazing stories.

Wait, they give you the option of not getting shot? I don't think I'd ever do an outdoor shoot with fake firearms without permits in Oakland. OPD doesn't fuck around either. Anyone care to hazard a guess as to why? :D

Also, this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR5jufwSqm8

;)

It is serious business though, I imagine in the UK where guns aren't ubiquitous the populace freaks out more than they do here. Having said that, police EVERYWHERE get down to business whenever something even looks like a gun. Always exercise caution.

Last edited:
Don't know if it's something you'd be interested in, but there's a section in the book "DV Rebels Guide" about using a bright green gun and keying it to black. It'd be difficult to do this with an orange gun, as you'd end up keying out skin tones (unless you mask the area??), but still, something to think about.

I'm very surprised no one mentioned contact your local film commsiion office, which is a government office and ask them about the rules and regulations about weapons and firearms in your area. In New York City, all guns must have orenge tips, unless you have a movie production and the city assigns Police to work on set with you. Then, your gun can be painted as real. However, the police will want the weapons to be on set at all times and covered up in a boxx, if not in use. One actor on my set 2 years ago was walking off set with a prop gun he brought on his own and one of the police stopped him and made him secure the weapon on set in a covered box. The police told him if another officer sees him in the street with the weapon, he'd either be shot or arrested.

So, by all means, contact your local film commission office.

I filmed with prop guns about 3 years ago on a public pathway (in the UK), wasn't too hard just told the local police exactly where I would be, what time I was filming and they were cool with that. I suggest contacting them first and going from there.

EDIT: Also they will want names and phone numbers too :)

Last edited:
Glad to see a lot of common sense advice is being offered here.

First and foremost, contact your local police department. And become friends with them. Ask them for advice prior to scheduling any filming.

One thing to ALWAYS keep in mind, whats acceptable in one community/jurisdiction may not be okay in another.

In my area, I am allowed to paint the orange tips or replace them with the real thing. But I am a film armorer and also have contacts in Law Enforcement throughout Southern California, and can make a call to notify them my company is going to be armoring a set. They know I have stringent safety rules, and I have not had a problem yet.

Case in point:
Working a student film about a month ago, the director failed to pull permits (I found out after on set, though they said they had them).
LAPD (4 cars) shows up code 3 to the area we were filming. But because of my safety briefing, all the actors knew exactly what to do when I called "WEAPONS Down!" They all put their hands on their heads, before the first officer even put his car in park. All said and done, we were allowed to finish the scene, because I showed the responding officers they had nothing to fear. The sergeant and I joked afterwards, and showed him the rest of what I had in the truck. Needless to say, eyes got big as dinner plates, and I was given several business cards from them.

But that is all about doing the homework in pre-production. For those interested, I will repost an article I wrote regarding this very subject about a year ago in another thread.

Last edited:
Back