• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Wealth of content - how do you make a movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you know know of a wealth of content, how do you make a movie? Or I should say, how would you approach a movie to made when you know where a wealth of content is?

Word up, Dean.

We take our professions seriously. There are a number of very talented working professionals here at IndieTalk who generously offer their advice and experience. I am honored to be considered one of them.

But you have to remember that many of these folks are working professionals with demands on their time. They're all happy to help, but we don't tolerate time-wasters. As you are a newcomer here your initial post was taken seriously although apparently meant it in jest. We don't know you well enough yet, so took it as a real question about filmmaking. Your flippant responses confused us all.

As a newb ask specific targeted questions, not things you could Google up in five seconds. Many of the questions I field are regarding sound-for-picture. I help the newcomers to that craft with specifics when necessary, wiping the fog off of the windshield so they understand the basics a bit better. But otherwise I don't solve problems for them, I offer various alternatives from which they can pick and choose to better match their project and own personal idiosyncrasies.

We all pound the basics because they are fundamental; you can't achieve any type of success without them. Having noticed your most recent post while I was typing this I just went "Huh?"

My story is about a late 90s long distance company call center (the story isn’t that) the story is those that call others at home ‘the workers’ that call others , the focus is the callers as the story, not the idea. Niche in time

I can't understand what you are trying to say. I haven't even the vaguest hint of a clue as to what your script (it is a script, right?) is about. And that's another basic, clarity of communication. Perhaps that is part of the issue, you don't communicate your ideas clearly. The best I can translate your post is that your project is "About people who work in a late 1990s call center." That's a much more succinct summary, but it's only a situation, not a story.

If you follow the posts in this thread between UnKnown and myself you will see that there are many approaches to writing, and I have found one that works for me. However, although I just opened up a blank page and started writing I have very definite ideas of what I want to express in that story. The characters and plot evolve through those concepts. So far, that is working for me. But I may hit a stone wall with a "SMACK!" and have to rethink my entire process. That's the way things work.

So perhaps your first goal should be clarity of communication. It's THE fundamental on which all the others are based. If we don't understand how can anyone else?

I live a very regimented life-style. I do the same things at the same times almost every day. Yup, it sounds very boring, but once all of the basic necessities of everyday life are completed it allows me to be Crazy Uncle Bob, to do all of the fun stuff and really push the limits. When I start an the audio post of a project the same rules apply; I spend all the time necessary doing my prep work so I don't have to worry about it once I dive in and begin doing the work I love so much. It's entirely self interest; once I get on a creative roll I don't want anything interrupting me when I'm having fun.

I wish you well.

Good luck.

Peace,

Uncle Bob
Alcove Audio Productions

Word up, Dean.

We take our professions seriously. There are a number of very talented working professionals here at IndieTalk who generously offer their advice and experience. I am honored to be considered one of them.

But you have to remember that many of these folks are working professionals with demands on their time. They're all happy to help, but we don't tolerate time-wasters. As you are a newcomer here your initial post was taken seriously although apparently meant it in jest. We don't know you well enough yet, so took it as a real question about filmmaking. Your flippant responses confused us all.

As a newb ask specific targeted questions, not things you could Google up in five seconds. Many of the questions I field are regarding sound-for-picture. I help the newcomers to that craft with specifics when necessary, wiping the fog off of the windshield so they understand the basics a bit better. But otherwise I don't solve problems for them, I offer various alternatives from which they can pick and choose to better match their project and own personal idiosyncrasies.

We all pound the basics because they are fundamental; you can't achieve any type of success without them. Having noticed your most recent post while I was typing this I just went "Huh?"

I can't understand what you are trying to say. I haven't even the vaguest hint of a clue as to what your script (it is a script, right?) is about. And that's another basic, clarity of communication. Perhaps that is part of the issue, you don't communicate your ideas clearly. The best I can translate your post is that your project is "About people who work in a late 1990s call center." That's a much more succinct summary, but it's only a situation, not a story.

If you follow the posts in this thread between UnKnown and myself you will see that there are many approaches to writing, and I have found one that works for me. However, although I just opened up a blank page and started writing I have very definite ideas of what I want to express in that story. The characters and plot evolve through those concepts. So far, that is working for me. But I may hit a stone wall with a "SMACK!" and have to rethink my entire process. That's the way things work.

So perhaps your first goal should be clarity of communication. It's THE fundamental on which all the others are based. If we don't understand how can anyone else?

I live a very regimented life-style. I do the same things at the same times almost every day. Yup, it sounds very boring, but once all of the basic necessities of everyday life are completed it allows me to be Crazy Uncle Bob, to do all of the fun stuff and really push the limits. When I start an the audio post of a project the same rules apply; I spend all the time necessary doing my prep work so I don't have to worry about it once I dive in and begin doing the work I love so much. It's entirely self interest; once I get on a creative roll I don't want anything interrupting me when I'm having fun.

I wish you well.

Good luck.

Peace,

Uncle Bob
Alcove Audio Productions
A long winded answer to a basic question lol, but you are a-part of that culture of never being Wrong. Instead, suggest being helpful instead of arrogant. What are you offering instead of what we already know?

what in your reply helps? Not me, but others.

Last edited:
I gained nothing from your reply, there is no storytelling tools used. You are lip service. But I appreciate your long winded effort lol

in your defense it is my fault for even asking here, I have no point to post here, already asked moderator to delete me lol

Last edited:
We welcome suggestions to improve the site.
It seems you are quick to dismiss an entire community based on the first replies you have received.

That's a very close minded and ignorant approach, I assure you we are not all clones of each other.
You also don't seem like you're worth helping and I anticipate you dont last here much longer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back