We need some help here...

Ok, so my friend and I are writing and shooting a movie this summer. It's our first movie aside from the 'home movie' we do on Raph's (the friend) digital camera. So, for everyone that has more experience than us, that would probably be a lot of people, can I get some advise on every single thing it takes for a first time film maker to make a movie? The bad news is that we're broke, so we can't hire actors or buy expensive cameras or props...

The bad news is that we're broke, so we can't hire actors or buy expensive cameras or props...
The good news is you don't need to hire actors or buy expensive
cameras or props. Many first timers make movies with cheap
cameras, actors who work for free and use only props they have
already.

You can use Ralph's digital camera and find actors at acting
classes in high schools or local colleges. If there is a theater
in your town, there will be actors.

You will need a script. Write something you can do. If you want to
write a "hit man" story and don't have access to guns, come up
with a creative way to deal with that. But you need a script. If
you can show others that you are serious enough to write out a
script they will be more likely to want to help.

Set a schedule. You'd be surprised how much something that simple
can help you look more prepared. Set actual days that you will
shoot; with call times and ending times.

You can use work lights found at any home improvement store to do
some interesting lighting. Give it a try - you'll be amazed what
just a back light and a little fill on an actors face will do to
make your move look better.

If you don't already have a microphone you'll need one. Search
these forums for mic suggestions. If your camera doesn't have a
mic input you'll need to record to some type of audio recorder.
Once again, search the forums here for suggestions.

I'm in a similar situation, looking at making my first film. I strongly recommend picking a copy of "The DV Rebel's Guide" by Stu Maschwitz. While it's geared towards action movies, it covers many topics concerning making movies on the cheap that are equally applicable to all sorts of genres.

A good book on independent film making has a lot of benefits. It'll introduce you to topics and terminology that you might not have been aware of which will help you make the most of the search feature at sites like this one.

Whatever you do, take your time. Just because you're young and want to make a film, doesn't mean you have to just rush it and say, "Ok look! We did something!"

You'd be amazed how much better you can make a project if you actually take the time to experiment with what you have.

Try different angles with the camera, adjust your lighting, don't have a dolly for a dolly shot? Use a red wagon and have someone pull it on a flat solid floor, or if you're on carpet, lay some 2X4's down and roll across them.

Be creative, think, don't rush it. Gather everything you can and then let the fun begin.

Tell 'em people!

As I am certain you are going to follow D-Rick's excellent advice, I'll add the following.

After you have your script and before you set your schedule - try to get in as much story boarding as you can, even just stick figure sketches. This will help you visual the characters in space, and give you the opportunity to brainstorm rough compositions and shot ideas before hand.

If possible, scout your locations before shooting and take pictures. Have the more creative folks look for their setups, and fiddle with blocking ideas. Have the more organized people on your team looking for things like parking problems, bathroom access, nosey neighbors, or any number of other logistical issues that might come up. In fact, I just want to stress here that if at all possible find someone to act as your "UPM" or "AD." Having someone dedicated to helping you with logistics while you are shooting makes a tremendous difference even at the "first timer" scale.

At some point you will want to establish a rudimentary shot list for your script, and schedule out your time based from that. It wouldn't hurt to do a few overhead sketches of your more complicated setups. Basically a top down view of your set, showing camera placement, lights, actors going from point a to b to c, or whatever is needed as determined by the shot. Probably not necessary for every shot at this point.

Ace also brings up good points. Take your time pre-visualizing (story boards, location pics, shot lists) the film you want to make. Having a plan going in will give you more time to take shots of opportunity - like when the last rays of usable sunlight are streaming through the dusty windows in a way that weakens your knees - or whatever.

Having said that, try not to get too bogged down in Pre-Prod. at this point. It is immensely important, so do enough to get your plan, then execute the plan. You'll find out what parts of your plan worked, and what didn't - which will result in a better plan and (hopefully) better film in the next round. At the beginner level I have seen a few projects where Pre goes on way too long, people end up dropping out for a whole host of reasons and need to be replaced, and so on.

Also, for just about any piece of basic camera rigging you might want, there are usually several DIY or even no-cost solutions. Wheelchair's make great dollys, for example. There are more DIY steady-cam designs for small cameras than I care to count. Your operator can stand on a big folding step ladder if you need a high angle.

For example:

Skateboards on smooth surfaces are also good if your shot calls for a low angle dolly or something. I used a skateboard with a bolex on a high hat in college, then carefully wheeled it along the edge of a building roof to look down into a narrow space between the two buildings and dolly with the character walking down in the corridor.

In the long term - read, watch, read, watch, read, watch. Everything you can get your hands on, with reading - anything, film related or otherwise.

Edit: Sorry if that was rambling, long day today :) I forgot to mention one last thing: You said you were doing a film this summer? How long of a film are you considering? Might I preemptively suggest short subjects?

Last edited:

A couple of things that I inferred from your post:

1- Sounded as though you and your friend were considering something longer, feature length. Although even something with 30-60 pgs (run time would be similar) is a pretty big project for the first time out of the gate.

2 - Sounded as though you hadn't made many shorter films aside from the mention of a few 'home movies.'

Based on those inferences, I thought I might suggest an alternative plan for you: Instead of writing a single feature and spending the entire summer shooting it - give yourself 2-4 shorter scripts (they can even inter-relate, have the same characters, continue the story, etc). Then shoot one and edit it, shoot the next, and edit, etc. This will help you with editing practice, post workflow, etc etc. You will also see the results of your work more quickly and be able to refine your next one without having to wait for the following summer.

Just a thought. I'm far from being on the upper end of experience level on this forum, so those with more experience may disagree. :cool:

All that said - boldness occasionally pays off and you could be sitting on the next break-out indie hit and none of us know it yet. :D

I also advise the short method.. but you can work it into your feature plans.. for example, shoot a few scenes as a promo "trailer" for your feature.. sure it might seem like wasted effort, but it will help you start connecting your vision with reality.

This weekend (im not done yet) I set out to make a 1 -2 min film about a book of matches... and man, its tough! Lighting setups, figuring out camera moves, and angles.. etc. for what should be about 2 pages of script!

Back