• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch We had 24 hours to make this hip-hop music video

I'm a student working at Lehigh University's Mountaintop Project this summer making a product/service based in Hip-hop, computer science, and entrepreneurship. Our first task was to make a music video in 24 hours, and we need to get at least 1,000 YouTube views and 200 Facebook likes by this Thursday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuilWmquNYU
https://www.facebook.com/mttopmoneyteam.

We're still in early stages, but our project will focus on up-and-coming artists and Hip-hop culture. Help us spread the word!

oooh my god. my head. I'm sorry dude I couldn't even make it 10 seconds into this video. The audio was literally painful.

Ouch try to be constructive at least. It's painful getting your work reviewed.
Although I did not make it to the music video portion.

I understand that this was a crunch-time project and that you don't have a background in hip hop (at least, GOD i hope not), so it's understandable that some things would be lacking. But if I'm being honest, it was pretty bad. You desperately need to research the culture if you're expected to do an entire project on it.

Are you guys going to school for film? Or did the "Mountaintop" class just spring a video project on you without knowing whether any of you were capable of operating a camera/rapping/editing/coloring?

Last edited:
im deciding who was more harsh... me or you :cheers:

but i gave him constructive feedback to work on for next time.

Yeah I can be harsh. I am sorry but it honestly did hurt my head.
I stated a fact you gave him an opinion :P

Last edited:
Well...

You got the 1,000 views.

What was the reason for your choice of the green flashes?

Do you really believe you are going to "change the game in
music"?

I'm not into hip hop but I have directed several hip hop
music videos. The song is terrible and the four of you have
no screen presence, no charisma and no rhythm. It was
bordering on embarrassing to watch. Each person looked
embarrassed to be in front of the camera. Your shots were
uninspired. Your editing is flat, too "on the nose" and boring.

It takes more than a camera and editing software to produce
a watchable music video. But you got your views....

I love how this video has now passed 2000 and gotten more views than almost anything else people post on indietalk. Although I wonder how much of the video each of those views actually watched.

This could become the next 'Friday' :P
2000 views in 2 days: not many on IT pull that off :-p

Seriously: the audio in the beginning has a terrible buzz.
And terrible buzz is what kills video deader dan dead ;)
Actually I think that part could be skipped, although it gives context to the video and it's quality: this could be 'said' with on screen text in 6 seconds without "terror buzz".

Hiphop is not my cup of tea, but I feel it lacks intensity and/or that laid back vibe.
It's more like you are all talking.
Spoken Word is a genre too: https://youtu.be/7yhxYfvuwFc?t=22

I'd say: nice effort, the result is far from perfect, it screams 'inexperienced', but I hope you had fun and learnt from it. The next video will probably be better :)
We all started somewhere.
Lights and good framing will really improve your efforts.
(And more emotion in the music/vocals helps as well: the listener wants to feel you mean it.)

Making a music video in a short time with experience is already a challenge.
I shot this in 2008 in 8 hours without preproduction time (called in at midnight the day before), the editor had 8 hours to cut it and I spent a few hours grading and fixing 3 timing errors:
https://youtu.be/wHK_anHNzbI
(They recorded the song 2 days earlier in 1 day, it was mixed on the 2nd day, the video van shot on the 3rd day, edited on the 4th day.)

@film autre: only harshness helps nobody. Relax a bit and offer some constructive feedback as well once in a while :P

Put a seizure warning at the beginning of your video. Those awful flashing green/black frames are hazardous.

I love how this video has now passed 2000 and gotten more views than almost anything else people post on indietalk. Although I wonder how much of the video each of those views actually watched.

I bet someone posted it on /r/cringe

Back