• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch War is a Card Game

This is in no way an example of my work in essence. This was something I did in two days with a four to three hour schedule per day with a budget of 0 dollars and 0 cents. I was also limited in location to only one room. It's also the first thing I ever made so it's pretty bad. Check it out and gimme your thoughts if you can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDlAjgkwuIk

This is in no way an example of my work in essence. This was something I did in two days with a four to three hour schedule per day with a budget of 0 dollars and 0 cents. I was also limited in location to only one room. It's also the first thing I ever made so it's pretty bad.

Between this, and the never-ending annotated notes that pop up all over your video, you've essentially created a huge apology for making the film. :huh:

You ain't gonna be the guy I go see when I need someone to up-talk my next project, that's for sure. :lol:

As far as the actual film itself, it looks like you got some practise editing at least. I don't get it (nor, with all the apologies, am I sure that I'm supposed to) - I'm guessing that the concept would be the same if you'd used a chessboard? I'm not familiar with card games, tbh.

Sounds like you definitely learned a lot creating it - but seriously, if you want people to have an honest look at something you've made, don't give them 20 reasons not to.

:)

Haha I know it's just that this was kind of embarrassing. I'm not apologizing for it but I am trying to distance myself from it. The concept is more open ended. Yeah chess would be a good example.

I like it.

It’s not great, but you already knew that, and that’s okay, no one starts out great and few ever become it.

What is noteworthy is the potential.

You are clearly trying to achieve or recreate something sophisticated, mature and cinematic, but it looks like at the moment it’s simply beyond your immediate technical reach or full understanding, and that too is okay, it doesn’t happen overnight.

I think you should investigate examples of how the drama of a card game (and even a Western showdown) is visually depicted, and write down the sequence of events and shots that you see.

Right now it looks like just filming people playing cards, but not showing the story of the card game, and the story of the game isn’t anything hard or anything you aren’t already doing. It’s shots of the cards and showing who has which cards, it’s the reaction shots of the players, the eyes, the hands, the feet, the wide shots, but just arranged into a visual story that depicts the drama of who will win and who will lose, and how. Also take note of how betting in a card game raises the literal and dramatic stakes.

Some of that internal visual story will add another dimension that strengthens or provides contrast or overall subtext or meaning to the war footage.

I have seen tons of better videos, but I have also seen tons of technically proficient film makers that appear to never have heeded the call of breaking through the boundaries of what they can’t or don’t yet know how to do, but are still willing to try it on instinct, because it's cool.

It’s obvious you have a long way to go (everyone does), but I think some important steps are shining through here and it’s not hard to sense what you are trying to convey.

Judging by your writing and now this, I can only hope the day comes soon when YOU decide to put down the Tarantino action figure and pick up the Conor JC one, because only you can make that choice, and no matter how much or who your influences are, you are you when you hit that record button.

-Thanks-

Last edited:
Back