• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch "Waiting on Alphie" Trailer is UP

Pacing seemed a little slow... but then again that might just be the effect of being stuck in a single location for the duration.

Looks very polished in all other respects, though. Story seems like it's going to be decent as well. It seems it would have to be a dialogue-driven film.

Last thing on this I saw was the opening credits clip, I think. :cool:

Looks interesting. I agree that the trailer seems to go on a bit long, but it doesn't give away too much, so that's good.

Is more color correction going to be done on this? I don't know if it's just me, but the overall image looks very flat and like it's lacking contrast. Could be my monitor.

One thing that drew me into the dialog was the amount of times I could have push, shoved or thrown a blow to have escaped.

good upclose cinematic shots, but as others said (More or less) not much after that. The trailor didnt show anything else then a cafe dialog. If they left the area, Please have them in a car, or another location.

Couple of quick responses. The entire move does take place IN the cafe. Short of going to the bathroom, Gus and Alphie pretty much stay in their seats for 12 hours waiting for the phone to ring. This is a VERY dialogue driven script. As the movie progresses you find out more and more about Gus and Alphie's past in Chicago and you see their secret from the past come crashing down. Meanwhile, the waiter (Matthew Landon) is used as a comedy relief (part of which is EVERYONE who is supposed to cover his shift calls in with a new ridiculous excuse).

Picutre is locked (as shown in the trailer). We lit the set with about 40 colored lights to give the cafe an "odd lighting" to portray the windowless cafe as described in the screenplay.

The main objective of the trailer is to build a sense of place, character and to make the viewer want to hear more about their past. The movie has (for a number of reasons) no car chases, people jumping from windows, explosions, karate ninjas, naked women, or herds of elephants. Think "Albino Alligator" meets "My Dinner with Andre." Very quiet until a climatic ending that NO ONE will expect.

You can find out a bit more from the movie site. www.waitingonalphie.com

Eric

It was decent. I would say stay away from dropping names though. Unless Im just out of the loop and those are name actors and you are a name director I wouldn't do it. As much as I like to put A film by Matt Vincent Serano on my trailer, nobody cares about that name because it doesn't mean anything to them. That goes the same for all my actors even though one of my main actors just got done three major filcks this year alone. That could be what is drawing the trailer out lengh wise. Where those the actors names or the charactors names? Dropping the director name (Tim Burton, Tarantino, Speilburg, ect. ) is a marketing tool but if there is no market there is no need.

In case anyone's interested ... the premier was a huge success. Packed house. The audience laughed where they were supposed to laugh and were surprised at the ending (which was also a desirable outcome). The stresses of producing this and showing it to the executives, cast and crew (and nearly 200 others) are now behind me. We've got a movie.

Sending the early deadline package off to Sundance today and will send out the DVD screeners to the four producer's reps who have requested the movie. This is where the rubber REALLY hits the road!

Thanks to all on this site who have offered advice along the way. I hope I'M the one in a few months with all the answers!

That's awesome!
smiley_pac.gif

Congrats on the premiere success - we had a similar response.

The trailer hooked me but I do agree with other folks that it might be too long. The story comes across, builds suspense, I think you could clips some of the middle and stick with the most dramatic, or funnier bits. The pie bit could maybe lose a second, the phone call before the gun-at-the-cojones could go. Get to the tension between the characters and the question of what happened a little faster.

I always feel a little pretentious giving too much of an opinion but I think it helps to get specifics. And I like the pacing between the clips, the sound is very good, that whoosy flashy thing between the clips adds a lot of drama.

Back