Virtual Reality may be the next big thing.

I think one issue with vr "cinema" is that it lacks the fixed perspective of movies. The way we create emotions now is largely based on forcing the audience to see things through a certain lens at a certain angle and edited at a certain rhythm. This isn't impossible with vr, but I think you loose some of the advantages of the medium if you don't allow people to look around etc, so I'm not sure of the emersion of vr being conducive to a fixed perspective.

I'm excited to see where these technologies go, but I think they have to be treated as a medium separate from conventional cinema. A new visual language will have to be developed in order to take advantage of its advantages.

I'm hopeful that the old and new forms will be able to coexist, though. Art becomes interesting when placed at the edges of new technology, but traditional cinema has advantages that VR will probably never be able to replicate (and vice versa).

VR is much better suited to video games. They're interactive.

+1

It is pretty complicated to created a lineair story if the viewer can look away in the wrong direction.
On IBC I watched a view Oculus Rift videos at the GoPro stand: it was cool, but it is really experience based in stead on narration based.

+1

It is pretty complicated to created a lineair story if the viewer can look away in the wrong direction.
On IBC I watched a view Oculus Rift videos at the GoPro stand: it was cool, but it is really experience based in stead on narration based.

On many video games, the player can explore instead of playing the game.

I was talking about videos instead of games. (Although that wasn't completely clear, I guess, despite talking about the viewer instead of the gamer/player.)
In games there can be plenty of time and room to explore: it's pretty common since at least mercenaries on the Commodore 64.

Will it hold someone's attention for a minute or so?
Can it be used to sell something?
How difficult is it to use?

If you answers Yes, Yes and Low, Yes, No and Low or No, Yes and Low you have something big.

Here's an example of making a simple hologram. I would focus more on this, because true holography is not just 3-D; it's a light representation, which means you can take a microscope and see the tiniest detail of the picture - and, for plants and animals, you can literally see the cells.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YWTtCsvgvg

The problem with VR - and true holography - is that computers aren't powerful enough. We'll have to wait a few decades for them to reach that level of processing capability.

A few decades :lol:
That is a gross over estimation.

Most people don't own computers that powerful because most people just use the computer to browse the internet and type in a word document. Why would you spent $10,000 or whatever it costs for a grossly over qualified web browser.

If people want VR and it's cool then they'll buy the graphics card necessary to power it. Plus at the rate that graphics cards advance I'd say 5 years is a conservative estimate for a decent consumer VR computer.

I didn't read the specs though, I am just postulating.

It will be interesting to see how it develops.

Ohhh…this seems quite cool. :yes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOZtqDhQP44

Last edited:
I mean, how could would it be to be able to sit on your couch and get the imax experience? There will be a place where film and VR meet and compliment each other, eventually, I'm sure of it. But I doubt it's going to fall into what our first conventional expectations are.

Back