• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch VIPER (A Hitchcockian Thriller)

You're very welcome. I like helping.

A few weeks??

I could get those notes done in a few hours. C'mon now!

Filmmaking is fast! No time to waste!

Who is doing your sound editing and mixing? A team or just one guy?

We're both busy guys. I'm working as an editor on a TV show right now and he's working on a feature. We penciled in a meeting in the next few weeks. It's just one guy working on the final touches for the mix.

Oh, I get it.

Awesome. Well, I look forward to the next version and let me know as soon as I can see it because I am very interested.

Amazing job. Just fantastic! I can tell alot of hard work, time, and love went into the making of this great little piece of cinema. You guys keep up the good work! hoping to see more from you in the future!

I think the dialog in the begining could use improved and the people that call him could use that dialog inproved as far as the preformance by the actors. Those are the two things that jumped out at me for improving. But the acting when the guy was really talking seemed better versus when it was him talking in his mind. I think overall you did a great job. The cinematography was great. You really did have a good suspense going with the way you filmed/edited. I thought you did a good job with the set design of adding a crazy mental state to it. I liked the crooked lamp and the papers on the foor.

It did have a sorta horor feel to it the way you zoomed in on the door nob when the guy was coming in or the phone ringing etc...

I think the dialog in the begining could use improved and the people that call him could use that dialog inproved as far as the preformance by the actors. Those are the two things that jumped out at me for improving. But the acting when the guy was really talking seemed better versus when it was him talking in his mind. I think overall you did a great job. The cinematography was great. You really did have a good suspense going with the way you filmed/edited. I thought you did a good job with the set design of adding a crazy mental state to it. I liked the crooked lamp and the papers on the foor.

It did have a sorta horor feel to it the way you zoomed in on the door nob when the guy was coming in or the phone ringing etc...

Thanks for your comments! It did kind of turn to "horror" a little near the end.

If you're interested in a short horror film, I made one called TOTAL ECLIPSE last summer with the same actor. You can check it out here, if you're interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTAHxWHtfH0

The camera movements were very smooth. Did you guys have some kind of steadicam?

Also, what lenses were used?

You've now made a thriller, a horror film. How about a short comedy?

This was really well made. Kudos to you and the team! Did you ever try a version without the voiceover? I'd be curious if the story would come through without hearing what's going on in his mind.

Good work and best of luck with festivals and future projects! :clap:

The camera movements were very smooth. Did you guys have some kind of steadicam?

Also, what lenses were used?

You've now made a thriller, a horror film. How about a short comedy?

We had a 18mm, 25mm, and a 50mm - that's what I can remember. We did use a steady cam at some points.

Also, we actually shot a short comedy in the same month - that one will be coming soon!

This was really well made. Kudos to you and the team! Did you ever try a version without the voiceover? I'd be curious if the story would come through without hearing what's going on in his mind.

Good work and best of luck with festivals and future projects! :clap:

That's a good idea! Kind of like the theatrical vs. director's cut of Blade Runner. I'll give that shot!

Yeah, give it a try. I think the exclusion of his thoughts would keep us guessing more about what is going on with him and his scenario in general. Just a idea.

There's nothing wrong with it or his delivery, but taking his inner dialog out of the mix might get our minds spinning a bit more.

All canon lenses?

I look forward to watching to comedy!

Yes, I believe they were all Canon lenses. I don't recall us having to use an adapter of any kind.

I'll post a thread for the comedy when it's completed - might be a little while, though.

In the mean time, we're looking at little festivals to submit VIPER to.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Sorry dude. Hitchcock was the master of visual storytelling. This was all voice over exposition. Everything was audio.

Result -- I started reading other forum posts just listening and waiting for something to happen. The visual data was sort of unnecessary, superfluous. It works better as a radio play.

Sorry dude. Hitchcock was the master of visual storytelling. This was all voice over exposition. Everything was audio.

Result -- I started reading other forum posts just listening and waiting for something to happen. The visual data was sort of unnecessary, superfluous. It works better as a radio play.

The "Hitchcockian Thriller" subtitle is rather misleading - I wasn't trying to make a Hitchcock film. I simply added that to YouTube to make it more alluring than just "Viper" and because those who enjoy Hitchcock might enjoy this as well.

If anything - I think the music is more Hitchcock than the visuals; and I was more interested in achieving an atmosphere in this short. I've considered cutting back on the voice over. The film that I was inspired by for the voice over was Spielberg's "Duel" (the diner scene). I wanted to capture that kind of paranoia.

However, I do feel it could use less narration and more quiet suspense. I am a fan of sound creating suspense and atmosphere.

Last edited:
Music to my ears.

Did you handle my points yet? I want to see it again.

Not yet. Like I said, I'm juggling several projects (including one of my own).

I'll definitely post the link to it on Vimeo when it's up. I'm considering reworking the voice over.

Is it easy to export a version with and without the voiceover? Maybe offer both versions? Good luck with it!

I'll have to get the OMF file of the mix from my sound guy. I'm very interested to see what that's like, as well.

However - I think some of the dialogue is essential for exposition. But, I think there are some spots that I could omit it and it would still work, if not work better.

I've just uploaded a "MUSIC ONLY" version and an "AUDIO COMMENTARY" version as annotations to "Viper."

You can check them out here!

Music Only Version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyPQBB6pyI8

Director's Audio Commentary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbtHXVUufn4

Enjoy!

Back