Vintage Lenses

I have a question for others who use vintage lenses.

I bought a little package off ebay (old film camera, aus jena 50mm, bushnell 28mm, and vivitar 85-205) for around $60.

They're all older lenses, and M42 mount. I got an adapter and have been using them, etc.

My question -

Do all vintage lenses have that kind of "soft, dream like" look to them? I feel as though I can't get super sharp with the lenses. For example, when I go from them to a Canon 50mm f/1.8 I feel as though the Canon is extremely sharp in comparison. Is it just the ones I got, or are all older lenses like this?

The few vintage lenses I own are noticeably less sharp than the modern lenses I own. Including a slightly-more-expensive-than-your-normal-vintage-lens Super Takumar.

I use them for a retro look here and there or if I want some mega flare, but 49 times out of 50 they stay in the case.

Can you post a frame or clip..
Id like to see an example of why you think "dreamy" is?

Older lenses seem to have narrow sweet spots.. have you tested with a focus chart at all the available fstops for your lens? This will help you find the sweet spot. Seems that with the vintage lenses we like to run them wide open, this is normally NOT the stop of greatest clarity.

this was shot with canon FD lenses no newer then 1978! The 17mm shots are not so sharp but that 50 can get tack on.

http://vimeo.com/41274734

Last edited:
I don't own a lens made after 1976 or so. As Wheat said they can have a narrow sweet spot. Some are tack sharp at 2.8, some you have to get closer to 4 before you're really getting the full resolution out of the lens. I have taken stills (model work) with my Takumar 50 1.4 or 135 2.5 at a reasonable F stop, say 5.6, where I could discern every pore on the talent's face in crystal clear sharpness. Shoot then wide open, yes, they will have a softer dreamy look.

wheat - I don't have any frame grabs, but what I meant by "dreamy" was (and I notice this most on the 28mm) that things seem to have soft edging, and kind of glow as well? I did notice it was sharper the other day shooting at a higher stop... I think you may have hit the nail on the head with the sweet spot mention. I should do some testing.

jax - I'm not sure, but I don't think they would have much effect as they don't protrude the lens from the camera or anything

Thanks for the comments!

Back