• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Video Problem

:huh:

Oh Good Lord. What am I doing wrong? This is going to drive me batty. I haven't been able to figure it out. (Not too surprising.)

Do you see that sort of stutter-jump when I pan into the lighter sky and then again when I pan back into the darker trees? The camera is making or trying to make some adjustment, I guess. But I can't figure out what it is or how to turn it off.

I don't have it on auto-focus. I don't have it on auto ISO. I don't know how to custom white balance, but I don't have it on auto WB either. I tried the cloudy day setting. I tried the daylight setting. I tried setting the K setting. Unless those are all actually auto settings the camera tries to adjust as well?

Oy vey!

Can you pleeeaaase tell what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you very much!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dprMIVWfTCI&feature=youtu.be

Oh gotcha, WO. Thank you for clarifying it for me. :) Sadly for me none of my lenses have I.S.

Thank you, Guanto. Excellent. Just ordered them. Although I ordered the 32GB to save some money. Hope those are good too. Yeah, yesterday it was doing it whether I was recording or not. Tonight it's only doing it while recording. So I'm optimistic and convinced you're right about the card being the problem (as well as questioning my sanity given what I experienced yesterday since it's so different than tonight :P)

Anxiously waiting to get my hands on those cards to hopefully find out.

Thank you to everyone for helping me out and for you patience with me. Very much appreciated. :)

I got my new 1066x cards today. I put them in the camera and the same damn thing happened.

So I was like, oh crap.

I did a search for dropped frames somewhere I hadn't tried yet. And I was looking at a bug they had found with an earlier firmware update. They called the bug iris jitter. Well, what they were describing didn't exactly fit what I was experiencing. But because of some text description and a video (hdcamteam.com: Malfunction in Firmware 2.0.4) showing how the 5Dii is supposed to be set up for full manual video shooting in order to demonstrate that bug, I found out what I was doing wrong.

I hope.

I set the camera up to shoot Stills + Movie. What I didn't know is that I had to go further and shuffle another setting from Stills Display to Movie Display. I hope I don't find out otherwise, yet. But that seems to have been the culprit.

In other words, if you ever happen to find yourself shooting with a 5Dii, when you set it up, or when you make sure it's set up for video, and after you've set it to Stills + Move, make sure you don't leave it on Stills Display. It's a bit trixy. I think so, anyway.

I suppose that might be in the online manual. If so, I suppose we could say that's what I get for not carefully going through the manual. Oh well. But don't we all (or most of us) want to get right to it? :P

Anyway. I'm just so glad, relieved, and thankful there was a fix. And I could have used some more memory, anyway, so I hope that's all good in the long run too.

By the way, once I changed that setting, my SanDisk Extreme Pro cards at 90 MB/s seem to be working like champs as well. But those Lexar 2-packs do seem like a really good deal. And they must be smokin' fast.

Thanks very much again, guys, for taking the time and helping me out with your suggestions and guidance. :)

Last edited:
Interesting. I suppose I had a 2% chance of diagnosing this but it's definitely a long shot from my experience.

On the t2i you can take pictures when you're using video. But if you do it the video stutters at that frame. Obviously you weren't taking pictures so this didn't occur to me, but in hindsight I can see that it is the same hardware limitation causing both issues.

That actually sounds insane to me. I would take the time to share that on some of the 5D forums if you can spare it.

Sincerely glad you are back in the game and it wasn't something crippling. And yes those cards are fast, recommended, and super reliable by the way. Also not sure you can have too many CF cards when approaching film projects.

None-the-less I unequivocally owe you a Swig at Nig's.

Interesting. I suppose I had a 2% chance of diagnosing this but it's definitely a long shot from my experience.

On the t2i you can take pictures when you're using video. But if you do it the video stutters at that frame. Obviously you weren't taking pictures so this didn't occur to me, but in hindsight I can see that it is the same hardware limitation causing both issues.

Just a fiddling little thing in the settings. Thank you again for trying to diagnose it. Very much appreciated. I'm glad the t2i hasn't given you such trouble.

That actually sounds insane to me. I would take the time to share that on some of the 5D forums if you can spare it.

Sincerely glad you are back in the game and it wasn't something crippling. And yes those cards are fast, recommended, and super reliable by the way. Also not sure you can have too many CF cards when approaching film projects.

None-the-less I unequivocally owe you a Swig at Nig's.

Yeah, I think it's insane too. I'm just glad there was a simple solution to how I had it wrong in the settings. I can't help fearing that it will start to happen again anyway, but so far so good. I just put it through the same test again, and it rolled like buttah. But I can only stand to stand there doing the same pan so many times to see if it will ever repeat the problem. I think it's safe to call it solved. =)

Thank you again for taking the time to help me. Very much appreciated. And like I said, I'm glad to have such nice, new cards to add to my memory. Thanks for the advice on those.

I'd release you from your pledge, but I'm not one to turn down a good beer. :P

Back