• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Video Problem

:huh:

Oh Good Lord. What am I doing wrong? This is going to drive me batty. I haven't been able to figure it out. (Not too surprising.)

Do you see that sort of stutter-jump when I pan into the lighter sky and then again when I pan back into the darker trees? The camera is making or trying to make some adjustment, I guess. But I can't figure out what it is or how to turn it off.

I don't have it on auto-focus. I don't have it on auto ISO. I don't know how to custom white balance, but I don't have it on auto WB either. I tried the cloudy day setting. I tried the daylight setting. I tried setting the K setting. Unless those are all actually auto settings the camera tries to adjust as well?

Oy vey!

Can you pleeeaaase tell what I'm doing wrong?

Thank you very much!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dprMIVWfTCI&feature=youtu.be

are you talking about the 24p judder throughout the whole video or the extreme jump at ~0:07?

The thing at 0:07 looks like an encoding issue. Does it do that when you play it back on the camera itself?

Thanks for taking a look, WO.

Oh poop, I didn't think of trying to see it in playback in the camera. And I already erased it from the card. Maybe if I figure out how to send it back to the card, or get another chance to record a new one.

It happens at approximately 0:07, 0:11, and 0:14. The camera actually makes a mechanical sound/does something I can hear and see during recording when it does whatever it's trying to do and messes up the video. I can only think it's trying to adjust exposure somehow, but I haven't figured out what. I'm sure I'm just being dense.

Hep meeeeee.

:)

Yeah it is there when playing them on-camera as well.

Thank you for taking a look Sfoster.

It happens indoors too. I just tested it.

The camera's microphone picks some of the sound the camera makes when it's doing it. You can hear it with the sound up.

Using the 5D2. It's done it with the 85mm and the 50mm, so I don't think it's a lens thing.

Doesn't it seem that it's trying to adjust according the change from light to dark and vice versa?

Here it happens at about 0:4 to 0:5. In a longer video it happens again when I continue that same pan back to a brightly lit white wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vroeW2KNOTM&feature=youtu.be

I'm hoping there's just something I need to turn off.

Thank you for taking a look, Guanto.

It's a CF card. 90 MB/s. UMDA 7. I should say that the camera does this when I'm just panning in Live View while not recording, too.

I tried disabling the Auto Lighting Optimizer. Just hoping something like that might do the trick. No help. I tried disabling the High ISO Speed Noise Reduction. No help.

Is it another defect in this camera? I'm wondering if the mirror mechanism, or something like that, might be defective. :(

It's your card.

I don't see anything trying to make an adjustment, I see dropped frames.

On a 5D you have to shoot video on a 1000X (150MB/s).

I'll buy you a beer if those stutters don't disappear when start using a proper card.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the suggestion, Guanto. Much appreciated. :)

Maybe that's it. Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, it seems all the sources (comments) I've found searching the net say that much slower cards than I'm using work fine with the 5D2. And because the camera is doing that when I'm not recording too, even more so sometimes, I'm afraid it's something else.

In any case, I sure would like that beer. :cheers:

=)

More than that beer you want this to be the card and not something else, cuz then it's all gonna go sideways.

I've been shooting 5D (granted MKIII) since go - and I have seen this before... personally.

Not to be harsh but I would disregard anyone telling you that anything slower than a 1000X works in these cameras when shooting full HD.

My fingers are crossed for you on this, but I'll tap the keg just in case.

p.s.

I made a big assumption here you have all your other settings set-up for filmmaking like 24p with a shutter speed of 50, shooting ISO 160, ALL-I, etc etc....

Last edited:
More than that beer you want this to be the card and not something else, cuz then it's all gonna go sideways.

I've been shooting 5D (granted MKIII) since go - and I have seen this before... personally.

Not to be harsh but I would disregard anyone telling you that anything slower than a 1000X works in these cameras when shooting full HD.

My fingers are crossed for you on this, but I'll tap the keg just in case.

p.s.

I made a big assumption here you have all your other settings set-up for filmmaking like 24p with a shutter speed of 50, shooting ISO 160, ALL-I, etc etc....

So by that logic if he alters the resolution to be very low this should go away?

Nah, it could still drop frames at that write speed, maybe just not as violently.

Personally, I'd slap a real card in there and do a proper test so one can, beyond the shadow of a doubt, either rejoice and/or eliminate it wholly from the list of possible issues.

Thanks, Guanto. Thanks for pullin' for me.

Yep, I've been using the proper settings to the extent that I know and understand them, anyway.

But I still don't understand:

Doesn't the fact that the camera does this when I'm not even recording rule the card out as the culprit? The card only seems to innocently record the spasm that the camera makes regardless.

I would like to put a faster card in it to rule it out, but I don't have one. And I'm reluctant to shell out the $ on another expensive CF card if this camera is a dud for video shooting. I don't know that the next camera I would get to replace it would use CF cards; most cameras seem to have gone to SD cards. So I hate to make a poor investment in another expensive CF card if I won't be using it in some "next camera."

Ahhhh, but maybe I'll bite the bullet and order one anyway.

Thank you for taking a look, Trueindie. Unfortunately, no. I've had it in manual mode. I had it at 50 when shooting 24fps. And I had it at 60 when I tried it at 30fps.

It didn't do this before, at least not in the conditions I shot it in. So I have my suspicions that maybe the vendor who looked at the camera might have disassembled it to some extent when they supposedly inspected and cleaned it. And maybe it didn't get reassembled quite right. Or maybe it didn't survive that process fully functional. I'm not accusakatin'. It's just a little speculation. Or, I really haven't used the camera much yet. Maybe it's gone geriatric on me from underuse already, despite the fact that it's still practically new.

Both videos you shared mirrored to a tee experiences that I've had with my 5DMKIII before I learned the truth about cards. I really can't comment with any authority on your specific situation beyond that simple truth.

And I'm reluctant to shell out the $ on another expensive CF card if this camera is a dud for video shooting. I don't know that the next camera I would get to replace it would use CF cards; most cameras seem to have gone to SD cards. So I hate to make a poor investment in another expensive CF card if I won't be using it in some "next camera.

• If you are considering downgrading cameras, you have a point.

• If you are keeping the camera, you must get the card I described or you will drop frames, according to everyone from hulbert and bloom, to borrowlenses.com to the manufacturer. Something you cannot afford to do if out on a shoot. Heck you don't even want to drop frames shooting out your back yard there right? You have a Ferrari why even risk putting diesel in it? And if you ever consider shooting RAW well this is even more of a non-discussion.

• If you are upgrading your camera (truly upgrading) it won't use SD, plus high speed SD cards cost the same or more as their CF counterpart in the same speed/capacity.

OK brother you can either try the card thing or take it into a shop or try something else, I've brought all I could to the table on this. Best of luck.

Thank you for taking a shot, WO. I'm not sure what you mean. Like I said, I can be more than a little dense. Can you describe what you mean a little more?

BAH my iphone corrected me. I was trying to say turn off the image stabilization on the lens, sometimes it can jump when going from light to dark.

Thank you, Guanto. Hey could you tell me the make and model of the CF card you use? I want to try it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1031509-REG/lexar_lcf64gcrbna10662_64gb_pro_compact_flash.html

I've pumped 847 clips through 2 of these without a single dropped frame.

Note that people have reported trubs with the larger capacity versions, but most consider this brand/speed/capacity the sweet spot.

Whatever your trouble is I truly hope it's something as simple as this.

Back