Video Game Franchises with Great Stories (NO SPOILERS)

Like films there are many games that I like to keep in my collection to play again after completing it for the first time and one of the reasons is due to the story. I enjoy replaying games to go through the story and experience it again the same way I will with a movie I want to watch again.

What are some video games that you like that have great stories and what is it about those stories that draw you in?

Here's mine:

Assassin's Creed

I am currently replaying through all the main games in the series (not including installments on the handheld consoles) and so far I have replayed and finished the first game and now I'm on to Assassin's Creed II. I enjoy the story because of the dual narrative going on - the modern day sequences with Desmond Miles and the past sequences with Desmond's ancestors. Both narratives intersect and overlap at certain points throughout the series and when you are playing as one you are wanting to get to see what happens next to the other.

I'm going to be referring to characters from the first two games so for those who haven't played the games I will explain a little of the basics of the story without spoilers:

Desmond Miles experiences the lives of his ancestors through a machine called an Animus at Abstergo Industries by allowing Desmond to tap into his genetic memory. In the first game the ancestor you play as is Altair, an Assassin during the Crusades (specifically set in 1191) who has become arrogant and ignorant of the Creed and because of his actions he must go on a quest for redemption while Assassinating Templars (the main antagonists of the whole series).

In Assassin's Creed II Desmond is hooked up to a different Animus (this one owned by a group of Assassin's Desmond becomes a part of) and experiences the life of a different ancestor, this time it's a Florentine named Ezio Auditore, a young man during the Renaissance Period in Italy (specifically 1476) who will become an Assassin due to a conspiracy against his family.

Back to the dual narrative in the series - Assassin's Creed II combines the two narratives really well because in the modern day Desmond is going to need to learn how to be an Assassin like his ancestors and to do this he needs to experience what Ezio Auditore learns in his journey becoming an Assassin. The skills Ezio gains will transfer to Desmond so he doesn't have to go through years of practice (in a way it's like Neo learning anything he wants to in a matter of seconds in The Matrix by having it downloaded into his brain but in this case not as quickly).

There are many twists and turns along the way in this series and the story is very interesting. If you haven't played it before I recommend you do and if you aren't a gamer but are interested in the story you can always read the novelisations written by Oliver Bowden or if you want instant gratification try Wikipedia or YouTube to just experience it without having to play the games.

Note: This is being developed into a feature film. Michael Fassbender is involved as actor and producer in conjunction with Ubisoft who have their own film division. At this stage there are no details about what game in the series is being adapted, if one of them even is at all, or who Fassbender is playing in the movie, other than the fact it is probably an Assassin.

Splinter Cell

What I like about the stories in these games is how detailed they are. The character of Sam Fisher (voiced by Michael Ironside in all bar the latest game Splinter Cell: Blacklist) is one of those characters you enjoy playing as because of the skills he possesses.

There are six games in this series (not counting handheld entries) and the first four - Splinter Cell, Pandora Tomorrow, Chaos Theory and Double Agent all carry similar gameplay elements with additions to skills Sam has being added in each game. Splinter Cell Conviction and Blacklist are very different than the first four but I feel that the changes are effective.

Quick rundown on the story for the first three games:

Sam Fisher is an NSA agent in the Third Echelon Splinter Cell program. He is an older character, born in 1966, which makes him in his early 40s by the time of the first game. He has a daughter named Sarah. His boss is Irving Lambert and technical support is by Anna Grimsdottir (nickname Grim). The story revolves around Sam gathering intelligence and engaging in stealth to overthrow dictators and other enemies.

The story for Double Agent is one that puts the main character through a lot. He experiences the loss of a loved one and falls into despair. Sam is given an opportunity to be a Double Agent on his most dangerous mission yet and he accepts because he feels he has nothing to lose anymore (in Conviction an ally of Sam's says that this person who he lost was the only thing left in his life that humanised him).

Throughout the game you have to balance what objectives you complete for the terrorists and for the NSA because what you do will effect the level of trust you have with both entities. So the scope of the game in both it's story and what Michael Ironside can use to expand the role is really a powerful element for the series.

In Conviction Sam Fisher is on the run from the very agency he worked for. He is looking for answers about the loss of his loved one and he isn't a happy camper at all. The story in this game has some twists in it as well that for some fans might have come as a shock.

Note: This is another Ubisoft game being developed as a feature film. Tom Hardy has been cast in the role of Sam Fisher however no director is currently attached to the project. Hopefully Michael Ironside who voiced Sam in the first five games will make a cameo :)

Silent Hill

This is my favorite survival horror franchise the second being Resident Evil.

The stories for Silent Hill: Origins, Silent Hill and Silent Hill 3 follow on from each other and could be referred to as the Silent Hill Trilogy. Silent Hill 2, Silent Hill 4: The Room, Silent Hill: Homecoming, Silent Hill: Downpour share some things with each other but they each revolve around new characters and stories.

What I like about this game series and it's stories is that it is set in a world that is dependent on the character themselves. It is very effective in the creepy atmosphere department and is mainly psychological horror (my favourite type of horror) that makes you think about the events you have experienced in the story long after you have finished playing.

Here is the basic story (for the first game)

Harry Mason and his daughter Cheryl are involved in a car accident. Harry wakes to find Cheryl missing and goes looking for her. He ends up being involved with a cult in the town of Silent Hill and meets a variety of characters that are trying to survive the nightmare.

Many years previously a young girl was sacrificed as part of a ceremony to birth a god by the cult and was severely burnt. As a result the girl, Alessa, was put into a state where her nightmares, pain and suffering started to influence the town of Silent Hill and began warping it.

Harry is helped in his search by a police officer by the name of Cybill and must figure out what has happened to Cheryl and what is going on in Silent Hill.

The first game has been made into a movie released in 2006 (a second film was made utilising plot elements from Silent Hill 3 but it is too complicated to explain here what pieces it has taken from that game because how they adapted the first game in the first movie doesn't match with what happens in Silent Hill 3) and it changed Harry into a woman named Rose and changed Cheryl into Sharon as well as other changes. What I thought they did really well was emulating the atmosphere of the games and incorporating the music from the games by the excellent composer Akira Yamaoka.

------------------------------------

Other games that I enjoy the stories for are:

Gears of War, Call of Duty (Modern Warfare entries), Tomb Raider, Prince of Persia, Legend of Zelda, Batman Arkham Asylum/Arkham City/Arkham Origins, Resident Evil.

This has been a long post and those who are very familiar with the games I mentioned may see errors in what I have posted. That is fine and I am not going to bite your head off if you make suggestions or alterations to the information :)

Last edited:
I personally feel that video games will be the artistic medium of the 21st century as film was for the 20th century. Growing up I played tons of video games and enjoyed their stories, now I play less and less due to my increasing passion for film. I haven't played much games in recent years so I'll only be able to mention a few:

Shenmue series
Before any film, before any piece of music, before any book this video game series taught me what artistic expression was. The basic plot itself is similar to many kung fu films with a man on a quest to seek revenge for the death of his father.

What makes the story work for me is the characters, the pacing, the dynamic gameplay, and the immersive world. Unlike an average kung fu film with a similar plot, I feel as though I'm trying solve mysteries and go through the adventure. Also, the series changes its focus over time as it becomes more spiritual and contemplative with the main character changing his perception of revenge.

Although the graphics and corny voice acting may keep today's gamers away from playing this masterpiece, I think it stands out as one of the greatest video games of all-time. The game's overall style feels like a mix of the films of Yasujiro Ozu, John Woo, and different kung fu films for me.

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series
I've only played Persona 3 and 4, and have recently started playing Persona 4 Arena but I love this series. The games just have a perfect balance Jungian philosophy with Japanese popular culture and interesting plots. Persona 3 has a darker tone and theme, with death being a prominent part of the game. Persona 4 has a wonderful murder mystery that is engaging and takes a bunch of crazy twists and turns. I prefer Persona 4 because the characters feel like real friends, by the end of the game I felt bad saying goodbye to them. Both of them make great use of "social links" which are friendships you can make, each one of them with a unique sub-plot to them.

I don't want to write so I'll mention a few other games that stood out: Alan Wake, Heavy Rain, the Mass Effect series, the Fallout series, and a few others.

The 'Metal Gear Solid' series has a very deep and rich story line, even if some of the games went off on strange tangents (I'm looking at you, "Sons Of Liberty"!).

The 'Dead Space' games also have a nice story arc, particularly the first installment.

Probably the greatest game series of this generation has to have been 'Bioshock'. The stories weaved through those games (although "Infinite" has it's own storyline) are simply incredible.

However, the greatest triumph in gaming so far has got to have been 'The Last Of Us'. The story (although it's your typical post-apocalyptic zombie story) and the characters created in this game can easily compete with any other, from any other form of media. Brilliant.

I'd have to disagree on Bioshock (the first one, anyway, I haven't played the others). The story barely effects gameplay. There are only a few instances where the story is attached to what my character is doing, and one of them is a cutscene. The game is brilliant, and the story is pretty good, but they aren't really connected, which makes it a lot less interesting when playing again.

The best story I've seen in a game is in Deus Ex. It's as massive or as small as you want. I've played through 4-5 times, spending weeks each time, and every playthrough I've discovered something new. Unlike in Bishock, the story effects the gameplay, sometimes hours later when you don't expect it. Moreover, the story itself is quite brilliant as it weaves conspiracy theories, philosophy, and science fiction together. And, beyond that, it's fun to play. It's one of the few games I've played that has a sense of pacing.

As for the sequels: Invisible War had a good story, though the gameplay was a bit lame, and I haven't played the new one.

I'm into JRPGs, so it's all about story! Grandia 2, FF6 and Arc The Lad 4 stand out as favorites. As far as horror games, my favorite is hands down Fatal Frame, in both gameplay and story. 3 is just astounding and the first will always be on my list of top games. Adventure games are always good for that too, but of particular note is a PC game called Sanitarium. Not just a good story, but a well told story...the way it is revealed is an amazing experience.

Oh, and if we all like films (which we do), and can stand some crude humor, Conker's Bad Fur Day is a classic. The plot itself is pretty generic, but individual scenes parody tons of classic films. Maybe not the best example in a "great story" game, but the narrative scenes absolutely make the game.

I've never really valued the so-called Story modes of fighter games, or of FPS games in general, really. It never seems to amount to more than basic backstory filler. To me, at any rate.

However, there's tonnes of great RPG series out there

Nintendo's Zelda franchise has been fairly solid through the years. I still need to pick up the new Link Between Worlds on the 3DS, The Master Sword's back, baby! :yes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_auhDR8VjU

The Etrian Odyssey series are pretty fun, too, but more for the old-school dungeon explorer experience - including drawing your own maps as you go.

The next huuuuuge RPG game I'm waiting on is Bravely Default - it's finally coming! Awesome looking game, with good ol' classic Square Enix feel. Just like a Final Fantasy, though it's not. Yeah :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voh6NEpwEVY

For something that's really heavy on the story, but light on the gameplay mechanics - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney is really popular with a cultish fanbase. Dual Destinies was just released on the 3DS in English a few months ago. Not really my thing, but it's all about piecing the story together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8QohYyactE

...and lastly, one that just sounds really fun... Ghost Trick, where you play a murdered detective, tracking down your killer as a ghost before dawn rises. Kinda goofy noir. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amvmOoeK3Kc

Last edited:
Halo

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Red Dead Redemption

Left 4 Dead (In a B-movie kinda way, but not a crappy B-movie, a surprisingly good B-movie)

I knew I had forgotten some games! Add to my original list:

Red Dead Redemption, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Metroid. I also like the story for The Suffering and The Suffering II: Ties that Bind.

Okay, I'm not a big gamer. I haven't played anywhere near the number of games you guys have. But I'll still add a few.

Half-Life. The premise is great (pretty much the premise of Stephen King's The Mist -1980). I played the version that came out on the PS2. Could make a good film.

Shadow Man. I played the Nintendo 64 iteration. Great game. Great atmosphere. Not so sure about the story as a whole. But could be a good one in there for a film.

American McGee's Alice. I didn't really get to play this because while I bought it because it was well reviewed, 'n' all, my puter at the time was basically little more than a calculator and it couldn't handle the it. But I always thought the premise of a twisted, psychological horror version of Alice in Wonderland could be interesting. I think there could be a good film in that.

^They were at one point developing a film based on American McGee's Alice and at the time Sarah Michelle Gellar was being considered for the role of Alice.

Half-Life would make a great film and with the quality of CG (well most of it anyway) being so high now it would benefit.

A Shadow Man film was in development hell...still is obviously cause nothing new has come about it.

Dead Rising would be interesting to see as a film because of its blend of horror and comedic elements.

Grand Theft Auto would be good as a movie too. There's so many possibilities for a GTA movie that could incorporate most of the locations in all the games as well as characters to see. I would even settle for an animated GTA movie using the same art-style as the game art.

^Starfox definitely would be as well as Metroid, Legend of Zelda and Secret of Monkey Island. What I like about the possibilities with animated adaptations of video games is that you can always animate the character more closely to resemble their looks from the games more than what you can do with trying to find someone who looks exactly like them, especially if they are iconic in their status or style.

^Starfox definitely would be as well as Metroid, Legend of Zelda and Secret of Monkey Island. What I like about the possibilities with animated adaptations of video games is that you can always animate the character more closely to resemble their looks from the games more than what you can do with trying to find someone who looks exactly like them, especially if they are iconic in their status or style.

Exactly!

Metroid: Other M had a bunch of cutscenes that formed a story.
after you completed the game, you had the option to watch all the cutscenes in sequence like a film.

It was unique in that aspect, i haven't encountered another game like it. but I almost stopped gaming entirely around age 21.. 9 years ago. since then i've only played a handful, 'other m' being one of them

Back