VFX software

I am thinking of buying Adobe After Effects in May (when the budget allows). This should give me plenty of time to learn it.

However, although After Effects (which costs $1500 USD in the UK) is my go-to, I was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions. Are there any realistic alternatives?

As a note, I use FCP7 and have a souped up MacBook Pro.

I know a lot of people will hate me for this but why don't you just torrent download it and spend the money on some descent audio ,maybe a slider or new lenses?

You are just starting out theres no need to buy it right now..Maybe in the future when you learn and you start getting money out of it but at that point..

Anyway..Hit Film is quite cheaper and great alternative.

There's a bit if a learning curve, but Blender, which is a free open source 3D program, can do node based compositing.

So you can do a lot of te same things that AE does. I use both AE and Blender. To me, the node based compositing isn't as familiar as te layer based compositing if after effects. I use Blender for 3D modeling, and composite things together in after effects.

It's free as worth a look, www.blender.org. It does 3d modeling, camera tracking, smoke fire and water simulations. Lots of online tutorials. Also had video editing (I don't really use that part).

Adobe has awesome academic discounts.. easy to get and you can use it professionally.

Also, you might be a good fit for the "subscription" method.. you can "rent" AE for as long as you need it.

if you torrent AE alot of the time there is a unnoticable water mark now majority wont ever notice it. but you get someone that knows what to look for you can.get in some deep doodoo. at least thats what ive been told

Since you're on a Mac, Motion 5 will probably go a long way. It's only $50 and very powerful, though not quite as much as AE.

Also, look into Hitfilm. I heard some good things about them.

Ditto the subscription. For dirt cheap you can license the software legally each month, and you get access to every program they offer.

Please, please, please don't pirate it. It's never ok, and you wouldn't want people stealing from you now would you?

Nuke and Flame are the alternatives to After Effects.

Many people especially on this forum are using After Effects, in combination with some libraries of effects, such as action essentials, etc. Nuke and Flame are more aimed at high-end compositing, and not so much integration with those libraries. So it really matters what you will be doing with it. You can do some serious VFX with all 3 packages, but personally I prefer a node based compositing app over the layer based After Effects.

I use Nuke for pretty much everything I do, it has a very clean interface, works very quick, and is very customizable, not only in UI layout but also in your composite itself, thanks to the node-based system. You can get a 15 day trail over at The Foundry's website.

What you should realize however is that if you are serious about doing visual effects, the compositing package is only the end of the entire 3D pipeline. Even the most simple effects require some kind of 3D work if you want to do them right, the reflection of a muzzle flash projected on various surfaces can benefit alot from 3D, realistic blood and gore even more, and the list goes on.

In my opinion, you should not try to do VFX without learning a 3D application.

If you are just using 2D tricks and libraries, You are limiting your options incredibly. You will have to force yourself into weird corners to avoid doing 3D work. And sure, 3D takes alot more time, money and knowledge of various different software packages: But it will give you total creative freedom to make what you want to make, do what you want to do, and not be restrained by what you can shoot or pull from some pre-recorded package.

Blender seems like a nice option because it is nice, free, open-source, has alot of plugins/modules whatever they are called and can pretty much do the entire pipeline in one, single application. However, if you are using it for 3D it is very different than your regular 3D packages, like Maya, Max, Lightwave, Cinema4D and Softimage. Because everything is so different than what I (as a Maya & Softimage user) am used to, I never really got in to Blender, but the results some people are making with it, are pretty great. All in all, here as much as anywhere else goes that skill is more important than gear/software.

Then you have your sculpting apps (Zbrush/Mudbox) and your texturing apps (Photoshop/Mari) and your tracking apps (Boujou/PfTrack), and then, there at the very end is your compositing application (Nuke/Flame/AE).

So... Don't spend your money on the last thing you need. Figure out what your needs are, can you do everything in 2D without a single side application (probably not, but maybe..)? Then buy any of the three compositing applications, they are all good (though I really prefer Nuke :P)!

If you can't do everything in 2D, Figure out if you really want to spend alot of time and money learning the entire VFX pipeline, or just want to outsource it to someone on mandy.com :P

Last edited:
Sorry but you are very wrong!

A lot of talented people on Youtube proved that you can make incredibly awesome stuff using just After Effects ,you just need to be quite creative.

Yes ofcourse, knowing 3D application is always a huge plus but it is not a must if he is doing Youtube short films for instance and other stuff for the web.

if you torrent AE alot of the time there is a unnoticable water mark now majority wont ever notice it. but you get someone that knows what to look for you can.get in some deep doodoo. at least thats what ive been told

false.

id like to say that after effects has come along way and you can replicate 3D style graphics if you know how to i mean dont red giant make shit loads using their plugins? which have been used in lots of films.

there will be old people who say after effects is rubbish and can never replace top end modelling systems, however the world is changing and i believe it will steer more towards adobe products and adobe is moving more and more closer to the sweet spot with their new versions each year, what they really need is 3d modelling like cinema4d or maya then they will hit the ball on the head and smash the competition fourfold.

in my opinion anyway.

Last edited:
Ditto the subscription. For dirt cheap you can license the software legally each month, and you get access to every program they offer.

Please, please, please don't pirate it. It's never ok, and you wouldn't want people stealing from you now would you?

Thanks, great advice. And as a note, I don't pirate. I work in the software industry!!!

Reason for FCP 7 is other people are beginning to spend money on what I am shooting and bartering stuff with me (rooms, halls etc...) which is a good sign but I see so many holes I want to fill and see an FX package as allowing me to go to the next level.

I have some good kit now (although I want an outdoor rather than just a bulky indoor mixer), have shot a few interviews, couple of shorts, music vids etc..., used greenscreen, sliders, am a dab hand with a steadicam, can light decently and now want to go up a level.

The other packages look interesting although one is PC only and another a little to one side of what I am looking for. So AE subscription it is... or I might buy an academic license (borrow my stepdaughter to do it).

The other packages look interesting although one is PC only and another a little to one side of what I am looking for. So AE subscription it is... or I might buy an academic license (borrow my stepdaughter to do it).

You might be talking about something else, but all Adobe stuff works on both (as in you can purchase a Mac or PC licence). The advantage with the subscription is that you can get a licence for both a Mac and a PC.

. or I might buy an academic license (borrow my stepdaughter to do it).
watch out, that might come back to bite you.. I "purchased" CS5.5 for my daughter in high school.. eh, hem.. she got hooked on photoshop and illustrator.. now shes in an art major!.. <groan>... Do note, that adobe, lets you, LEGALLY, install TWO instances of the products, which is AWESOME, as my daughter came home on Christmas break and asked me to install it on her laptop! woho..

She did the DiVinci like illustrations in this movie of mine..
http://vimeo.com/36799617

as well as the characters in this poptent spot..
http://www.poptent.net/media/26972

yeah, I am a proud dad...

Last edited:
watch out, that might come back to bite you.. I "purchased" CS5.5 for my daughter in high school.. eh, hem.. she got hooked on photoshop and illustrator.. now shes in an art major!.. <groan>... Do note, that adobe, lets you, LEGALLY, install TWO instances of the products, which is AWESOME, as my daughter came home on Christmas break and asked me to install it on her laptop! woho..

She did the DiVinci like illustrations in this movie of mine..
http://vimeo.com/36799617

as well as the characters in this poptent spot..
http://www.poptent.net/media/26972

yeah, I am a proud dad...

You're the guy who shot the movie with the Da Vinci like illustrations in! You're that dude! Pleased to meet you online! That was really nicely done. I've always wanted to meet you, just to ask you how you did all of that! Is there a thread here detailing this?

What else have you done?

Back