• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

VFX Resource: Lens Distortion Grids

THIS SITE has grids for many types of lenses. A good resource for Compositors who need to un-distort a plate in order to track in additional elements.

Thomas

I only expected a couple people here to realize the value of that link. Many indie filmmakers do set extensions & matte paintings and these grids are huge in that respect.

I've almost finished writing an eBook called 'Shooting Miniatures for Indie Film'. After that, I might just do one about set extensions.

Apologies, I can't release this thing unfinished. It's like releasing a film with out the sound mix (That's for you, Alcove). Hmm, the same thing goes for my short film ...

The eBook is more of an article, and the text is basically completed. I've taken the steps of miniature photography & perspective matching and boiled it down to the basic-basics.

The technique of miniature photography is easily understood, and can be practiced by anyone on this forum. I won't teach how to use your camera, expose a shot, or build a model (that's your problem!). But once you master these easy steps, you'll be ready to do MUCH more advanced work without needing any further instruction. As long as you respect the basic rules, you'll be fine.

Unfortunately, in order for the lesson to be clear and easy to understand, it requires that I include some photos and diagrams. The diagrams are done, but the photos are still on my todo list.

Thomas

Back