• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Using curse words

First of all, hello! I'm new here. Let's get right to the point! I spent the summer with my cousins in the Bronx. Cursing is part of their vocabulary. They use it as humor also, which gave me an idea for a screenplay. Now..., do I stay true to the character, or is cursing frowned upon. Also, slang. How is that taken.

First of all, hello! I'm new here. Let's get right to the point! I spent the summer with my cousins in the Bronx. Cursing is part of their vocabulary. They use it as humor also, which gave me an idea for a screenplay. Now..., do I stay true to the character, or is cursing frowned upon. Also, slang. How is that taken.

the short answer is, stay true to the character.

Watch SNATCH.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snatch_(film)

And read Guy Ritchie's screenpay.
http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Snatch.html

Determine the impact vulgar language had on the story.

(Waaaay off topic: $10M (officially) well spent.
Surprising how other director/producers squander twice that amount on... God only knows what.)

Now, in HARRY BROWN the foul language of the street kids just kinda detracted from the overall piece, even though it was likely fairly authenticious.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Brown_(film)

Uh... yeah.
Bad grammar in the action lines is a laughable "no-no".
Don't do that.
Inexcusable.
If English isn't your native language it's going to be very difficult to swing it.
If you received public ejukayshun an inglish still iznt yo muther lingo, den yose gotts sum reel probs, juno, bro?

Last edited:
...which totally makes sense. You are selling writing, so if your craft (use of language) is not up to snuff, odds are they aren't going to make it to your art (the content). But grammar can be learned and polished, so keep at it!

As far as cursing, I don't mind one way or another, myself. BUT, something to think about: several people have used the slang term "F-bomb." Take that literally; it's a word that can have violent and destructive power. But each usage diminishes that power. If your characters are constantly cursing, it certainly will be more realistic (people do, in fact, talk that way), but the viewer will become desensitized to it (perhaps acclimated would be a better word?), so when you really want to punch the viewer in the gut, so to speak, that's one less tool at your disposal.

Extending the metaphor to actual explosions in movies, one could say Tarrantino or Kevin Smith (for example) would be the Michael Bay of language!

There is still another “gut-punch” available though, even through an endless stream of F-bombs… The C-word.

Here in the UK, the C-word is used quite widely, and though still frowned upon, doesn’t seem to have the same effect as it does in the US. The word is used numerous times in “Harry Brown” (see above). Another good example of its constant use in British cinema would be “Trainspotting”. The C-word doesn’t offend me.

However, from what I’ve seen, in the States, it’s very much a no-no. I remember its use in “The Devils Rejects” and “Saw 3”, both full of F-bombs, with one use of the C-word… I assume to add shock value. In both films though, its use, and this is possibly due to my own personal tolerance of the word, or possibly because of the context of its use, is laughable. It’s much more offensive in “The Exorcist” or “The Silence of the Lambs”, where its use comes out of the blue.

And “Kick-Ass”…. Somebody should wash Chloe Moretz’ mouth out.

Not sure...

It was written by Jane Goldman, who is British (wife of Jonathan Ross, just so you know!). Matthew Vaughn, the director is British as well, long-time cohort of Guy Ritchie (who also loves the C-word (see "Snatch" (see above))).

But it's set in New York, with an American cast (and I assume crew). Produced by THE Brad Pitt.... Not sure if the studio was US or UK based???

Either way, even here in the UK, the fact that Chloe Moretz was only 12 at the time caused some level of controversy. The C-word's fine, just so long as it's not spoken by a child...

Mark Millar, author of the comic Kick Ass is based on, is Scottish, and fairly free with the C word, both in his work and in interviews. IMDB lists country of origin as UK/US, so there's that.

Either way, the character of Hit Girl is supposed to be VERY off the rails and fundamentally messed up. The language definitely demonstrates that. Necessary? Probably not; the character was pretty flawed and hard to like outside of the choice of language. On the other hand, they were going for a hard R, and that's one way to get there!

It was set in New York, but was filmed in Britain with a mostly British cast. Only a few leads were American. But I see your point.

Chloe Moretz MADE that movie. She was kick ass!!

Uh... yeah.
Bad grammar in the action lines is a laughable "no-no".
Don't do that.
Inexcusable.
If English isn't your native language it's going to be very difficult to swing it.
If you received public ejukayshun an inglish still iznt yo muther lingo, den yose gotts sum reel probs, juno, bro?

I disagree, writers should never be made to feel self conscious about grammar, or anything else. It's important for the process to not be "aware" of the words as you write them. In fact good screenwriting is dependent on not adhering to grammatical rules.

You throw around a lot of hard and fast "do's" and "don'ts" rayw, but to me they seem off track. Try to be a bit more careful with that.

There are no rules.

You throw around a lot of hard and fast "do's" and "don'ts" rayw, but to me they seem off track. Try to be a bit more careful with that.

There are no rules.

No, you mean:
"A lot of hard"do's" and "don'ts" you throw around fastly, rayw.
Off track, they seem, but to me.
With that be a bit more careful try."

You're right.
Poor Yoda-speak grammar is perfectly fine.

Or is that "Your rite. Pour Yado-speek grammer is perfeckly fine"?

Nope. I reconsider.
Good grammar is acceptable.
Poor grammar is not.

We have the freedom to work within the boundaries of established grammatical standards.
Not freedom from them.

IMHOpine, but of course. ;)

PS. Don't disturb me when I'm writing. :lol:

Last edited:

There are no rules.

Not that he needs it, he's a big boy (so I'm told) and he can look after himself, but I've got to stick up for Ray here.

Good grammar is important. If you want to be taken seriously as writer, you should always do things to the best of your ability. If good grammar is beyond your capability, you should learn to improve. The English language is full of rules! You should always do your best to adhere to them.

Now, if your referring to the fact that you shouldn't let your grammar stifle your creativity, then, sure, you're correct. Write whatever you want, however you want. But you should always double (and triple) check your work and correct any mistakes you may have made. It's the only way to improve.

I would say the grammar is completely irrelevant... on the rough draft... but by the time it hits the public eye, it should be grammatically correct in the very least.

If you have questions about the grammar, certainly ask, but don't post it as ready to shoot at that point. I don't mind you not knowing the rules but willing and wanting to learn them. I've just had FAR TOO MANY script come across my desk as "brilliant" and "words are sacred" and "unchangeable" that haven't got a solid sentence within the pages at all.

At the very least, in a rough draft, spelling errors are inexcusable as the computer will tell you when it's wrong by underlining the words... they may be the wrong words, but at least use the technology to help you spell that wrong word correctly.

Personally, I let the characters decide if they should curse or not. As a writer it's none of my business what they say or do, it's up to them. If they become "Real" or "Live" words will come out of their mouths as if written magically. When you don't know what a character will say or do next, you probably don't know the character enough to write the story well. I do whatever fits the story. If you are writing something and you feel it need's to be censored, then maybe you should put that story down and pick up a "cleaner" one. Just my thoughts.

Personally, I let the characters decide if they should curse or not. As a writer it's none of my business what they say or do, it's up to them. If they become "Real" or "Live" words will come out of their mouths as if written magically. When you don't know what a character will say or do next, you probably don't know the character enough to write the story well. I do whatever fits the story. If you are writing something and you feel it need's to be censored, then maybe you should put that story down and pick up a "cleaner" one. Just my thoughts.

:clap: :yes:

I never got to finish what I was writing... Someone I used to work with got a chance to submit his screenplay to an agency. They sent him back their evaluation, they criticized him using bad grammar! He said the only bad grammar he used was, gotta, gonna, coulda, shoulda, he said he was just staying true to the character. So I think I needed to ask that question. If they had a problem with those words, well... By the way, the agency was, Paradigm, and I also feel like I embarrassed myself.

Last edited:
I never got to finish what I was writing... Someone I used to work with got a chance to submit his screenplay to an agency. They sent him back their evaluation, they criticized him using bad grammar! He said the only bad grammar he used was, gotta, gonna, coulda, shoulda, he said he was just staying true to the character. So I think I needed to ask that question. If they had a problem with those words, well... By the way, the agency was, Paradigm, and I also feel like I embarrassed myself.

I'll give you an example of bad grammar:

"they criticized him using bad grammar"

should be:

"they criticized him *for* using bad grammar"

But really, don't worry about it, just get your work proofread before you send it out, these sort of mistakes are very easy to fix. And tell your friend to do the same. It's very common amongst young writers.

I have terrible spelling. I get my work proofread too. It really is better to just not think about the words when you write. Or you'll inhibit the most important process, which is the imagining.

No, you mean:
"A lot of hard"do's" and "don'ts" you throw around fastly, rayw.
Off track, they seem, but to me.
With that be a bit more careful try."

You're right.
Poor Yoda-speak grammar is perfectly fine.

Or is that "Your rite. Pour Yado-speek grammer is perfeckly fine"?

Nope. I reconsider.
Good grammar is acceptable.
Poor grammar is not.

We have the freedom to work within the boundaries of established grammatical standards.
Not freedom from them.

IMHOpine, but of course. ;)

PS. Don't disturb me when I'm writing. :lol:

I see, so this is opinion, stated as fact.

rayw, do you mind me asking, do you have any experience at selling scripts?

Back