URGENT: Manager wants to attend audition - HELP!!!

Ok here's the situation. I'm a distance away from NYC and I'm suppose to audition an actress for a part. She and I knew each other before this film and before her Manager got involved. Her manager told her not to do the film, but she fought her and eventually the Manager caved.

Because were far apart I'm suppose to have a video chat/audition with her in the next hour. Guess what - her Manager wants to attend aka be there with her?! There's definitely trust issues going on. She's cool, it's the manager that's the problem.

So my questions are?

1) Have you ever had a Manager attend an audition with an actress?

2) Does the Manager sit in the room with the actress?

3) Should I ask the Manager to leave the room once we're done talking logistics etc. I really need to see how she is when by herself without her Manager's hand up her ass. Know what I mean?

This all goes down in the next hour or less so immediate help, replies, feedback is needed! Thanks in advance!

So my questions are?

1) Have you ever had a Manager attend an audition with an actress?
Yes. Many times.

2) Does the Manager sit in the room with the actress?
Sometimes.

3) Should I ask the Manager to leave the room once we're done talking logistics etc. I really need to see how she is when by herself without her Manager's hand up her ass. Know what I mean?
You can ask. But typically the logistics are why the manager is there
in the first place.

Sorry you didn't get the help, replies, feedback you wanted on such
short notice. I, too, am curious how the audition went. What did you
do?

I had a similar issue with an actress when her manager/boyfriend wanted to negotiate her rate for the audition. :contract:

I bet that went down well ;)

I really need to see how she is when by herself without her Manager's hand up her ass. Know what I mean?

You also want to see if the manager is going to be a pain in the rear to your production. If the manager is high maintenance, do you have the resources to "handle" him/her?

You also want to see if the manager is going to be a pain in the rear to your production. If the manager is high maintenance, do you have the resources to "handle" him/her?

This and the same goes for the actress as well!

Update: The meeting got canceled as she said she would show up in 2 hours and didn't. I went to another meeting. When I got back, they were all of a sudden "ready." She felt bad and offered to meet with me. Sounds kool right?

Well I guess she called her Manager on the other line who, as expected, told her not to and only do so when she's present. I couldn't f'kn believe it. At this point, I'm ready to just say forget it all together. There are way too many other talented actresses to have to deal with this.

This is trouble. You don't need this. Always remember:

For most of the world an audition/ interview is generally considered to be the place where you put your best foot forward, where you really want to make a good impression and show them who you are and what you have to offer.

When first meetings go like what you are describing, I always think: "So, THIS is the job candidate/actor at what he or she considers his or her best? What are they going to be like on a bad day?"

The meeting got canceled as she said she would show up in 2 hours and didn't. I went to another meeting. When I got back, they were all of a sudden "ready." She felt bad and offered to meet with me. Sounds kool right?

To help put it into perspective, what would happen if you hired her. You're essentially telling her this is acceptable behavior. You really need to ask whether it's fair on the rest of your cast and crew to be made to work with this. Would your people walk out if this was the norm? What would happen if others also did the same. Would the production grind to a halt.

Well I guess she called her Manager on the other line who, as expected, told her not to and only do so when she's present. I couldn't f'kn believe it. At this point, I'm ready to just say forget it all together. There are way too many other talented actresses to have to deal with this.

Trust your gut on this.

What is the most important skill an actor should have?

I recently changed this from "talent" to "reliability".

I still say talent and the ability to deliver the role to the camera is the most important part. Though, for me, reliability is a prerequisite. It's an assumption that if you cannot be reliable, we'll never get to the point where we find out if you have the talent.

I follow a lot of local people, actors and crew. (short version) Today an actor admitted to having what most people would call a medical issue. He's refusing medical treatment, which is his choice, fair enough. He continues on to explain why productions need to give him consideration, allow him to be late/take days off due to this.

While I hate to be a heartless prick, there is no way that someone in this state is suitable to being on a production. Sure if you're sick there should be some allowances, though if you're refusing treatment, it's your own problem, not ours. On top of that, it's denying someone else the chance to success who is better suited to serve the production.

Back