"Urban" - shortfilm

Marvelous.

After a second watch, i did notice the car in use. However, it's merely unfortunate, given the location there's no way around it.

Well, for the record, I didn't notice it until M1chae1 pointed it out, but the way around it is to simply choose a different angle, perhaps with the car leading by just enough to get it's reflection out of the frame.

Well, for the record, I didn't notice it until M1chae1 pointed it out, but the way around it is to simply choose a different angle, perhaps with the car leading by just enough to get it's reflection out of the frame.

That's true, but then the shot would change. It would no longer be the audience running with him, but chasing, or leading. I'd assume the former was the motive behind the choice.

It's something a strict Prep would have cured.

I think all of those options are totally viable work-arounds. I personally would first try the leading angle change first and see how that goes, and if it looks awkward, I'd find a different location with no reflections.

is that a little handy cam on the crane in the behind the scenes video? Is that what you shot the film on? Video looks great, nice color work. I saw the car right off, but didn't care too much.. it really feels like that dude is HAULING A#$

Nice work! Noticed the car, but it didn't really detract simply because the guy was BOOKING IT through the scene. (Anyway, I don't think the standard viewer would see it as anything but a vehicle that was just "there".)

That Parkour stuff is fascinating to watch.

No, the main cam is a T2i/550D. The handy cam was used in one day of shooting and it was kinda a big mistake now :(.

I noticed the car after the shooting. But to tell you the truth i would not change the angle just to get rid of it. I can't be seen filming on the glass. :P

Last edited:
(Anyway, I don't think the standard viewer would see it as anything but a vehicle that was just "there".)

Very good point. As SaberRider mentioned, you can't see the camera in the shot, and I think it's really just us filmmakers who are looking for stuff like where the camera is. The average viewer, if they notice the car, would probably just assume it's a car, a regular car, driving on the street. Because those do actually exist. Definitely doesn't ruin the shot.

Again, it's not a big deal and most people will miss it. But you always want to do your best to never break the fourth-wall so to speak. If the audience is pulled out of the scene, you're not doing your job as a storyteller/filmmaker.

Perhaps I'm being to hard on the shot...my point is to just try not to do these things when you can. We've all driven in cars, and we've all looked over and seen our car's reflection in a building...it's not new to us...it will instanly register to the viewer (even if unconscious) that they are in that car seen in the reflection. Does that make sense? It may cause a feeling of unease...our brain may not know why, but it will be there. Hell, maybe that's a good thing for the shot...

Hell, if we're gonna nit-pick, I don't think the car in the reflection is really worth our time. The parkour stuff is pretty sweet, but why did he leap-frog over that car? Wouldn't it be faster, and easier, to run around it?

"Two primary characteristics of parkour are efficiency and speed. Traceurs take the most direct path through an obstacle as rapidly as that route can be traversed."

Even if it looks great, i still think it's also efficient.

When directing the parkour-guy, i always and always asked him if the stunts were "real" and parkourish. I don't want to add stuff just because they look great. So there are no flips of any kind for instance.

Back