Trouble Transferring Footage

Hello,

I'm trying to tranfer footage from a Canon Vixia hfG10 to a Mac. There's no firewire hookup and it uses cards to record to. Does anyone have any tips? Would a card reader work better? I'll be editing this on iMovie and Final Cut.

Thanks,

Rob

USB?

FireWire was primarily used to transfer to and from cameras or VTRs using HDV, MiniDV or DVCam. Tape format. Most memory card and HDD cameras use USB.

In final cut, with the camera plugged into USB, you'll use the "Log and Transfer" option in the main menu.

Thanks for the advice. It's definitely USB. I've never used memory cards before, so I'll give this a shot. I've heard the relationship between Canon and Mac is a prickly one, any advice is welcome. Again, thank you.

Can't you just create a new folder, then drag-and-drop from the camera's card? With USB, that is. You might need a card-reader, but I'm thinking the camera probably has a USB port (my Canon T2i does).

CBP3, I'm a PC guy, so I'm actually just guessing here, but if there's a prickly relationship between Canon and Mac, I'm thinking it might be the video format? I recommend that might be an area to look into. And if that's the case, then transcoding your footage might be the best solution (perhaps with cineform).

Trouble transferring footage

The trouble continues. My computer won't recognize either the camera or the little card reader I bought. Looks like I might need a specialized card reader. One that can read a SD XC Lexar card.

The trouble continues. My computer won't recognize either the camera or the little card reader I bought. Looks like I might need a specialized card reader. One that can read a SD XC Lexar card.

When you say "won't recognise", what exactly do you mean?

One thing I found when trying to import footage from a similar Canon camera was that once the camera was plugged in via USB and turned on, you had to use the camera menus to tell it what it was plugged into - unless you did this, the card wouldn't mount on the Mac.

The trouble continues. My computer won't recognize either the camera or the little card reader I bought.

I'm not familiar with your Lexar card in particular, but I have had issues with various HD devices not being recognised.

1) The SDHC cards (from a Canon T2i) not being recognised by the desktop's built-in card reader. It turns out, that even though SDHC cards are the exact same shape & size as SD cards... they cannot be read by the standard set of ports.

Solution: Buy a $5.00 USB card reader, that plugs into a USB port on afore-mentioned desktop (and which can tell the difference between SD & SDHC)

2) Sony mini-DV HD camcorders have not been recognised by the past 3 desktops I have owned. Simply will not show up, in any shape or form, on my machines. Tapes full of content? No import.

Solution: Take tape out of Sony camcorder. Insert into Canon camcorder. ????. Profit. :huh:

A solution is out there... sometimes it takes a while, though. Especially annoying when the problem can't be fixed itself, but rather fudged around.

Thanks, ZenSteve, I'll try out a new USB card reader. I'm going to pick up a few readers tomorrow and keep trying to find a solution. The trouble is is that this is a paid job and if this doesn't work out soon, I'll have to return the camera and footage to the customer with my tail between my legs. Thanks again though to everyone whose offered their advice, I really appreciate it.

Back