Total newbie (12 yr old) film. Open to criticism

Hey guys,
I am a total newbie to filmmaking. First of all I am twelve, and I also feel a bit strange to post this terrible work here on this forum.
I am open to constructive criticism to improve my work/passion.
If you think any angles are weird , the acting is bad, or anything else please tell me . I don't even really care if it is harsh. I'm really bad at this that's why I bow my head to the ground in great respect to you pros. :bow: :bow:

Thanks in advance :)
-Chris

oh here is the video:

https://vimeo.com/40897193

Last edited:
This is really good. You should be proud. I like your use of the camera, and I think you edit well.

You asked for critiques, so here you go -- although, this isn't so much a critique of your current film, so much as it is my two cents on where you should go next.

This film is terrific, but it is basically a montage. Almost. You've got a whole bunch of close-ups, some of them are shown in continuous action, and some of them in true montage form. But even the ones that are shown in continuous action almost function like a montage, because we aren't given the greater context of what's going on around it -- we only see an ultra-close-up of a pencil for example.

I think your next great challenge should be to vary the footage. Make a short film that shows continuous action for at least a minute, taken from many different angles. Observe the 180-degree rule, the 30-degree rule, and work on getting coverage in a scene. Based on what you've shown us so far, I think you'll do very well with whatever you choose, and I think you should choose not to limit yourself to close-ups. :)

You know what Chris, i was very intrigued by what you showed us there! Hat's off, I wasn't doing this stuff when I was that age.

It's a clever Idea and i can see you going somewhere! Don't be so negative about your work. Be proud of what you have achieved, but don't become cocky! That's what everyone should know!

This is better than pretty much all the work of other guys your age and also older, because you told a story without needing to use Call of Duty references and show a gun on screen!

Very nice!

Awesome! Trust me, this film of yours is much better than what people put up online. You should be proud of yourself especially with your age.

Unlike others (especially filmmakers your age), you just don't shoot guns and make stuff explode... You got something to say. And that's important thing for a filmmaker to do.

Keep it up and keep making movies!! :)

I loved your film. You've made it hard to find things to criticize because everything was done so well with the few tools you had. The message fits the film itself so well. Wow. You have incredible potential just with your ideas and how well you've executed them and you're just 12. I look forward to your future projects!

Back