• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Top down shot spiralling upwards/outwards - Help

So I have a difficult shot to achieve. I want a top down shot of two people lying down. With the camera moving outwards/upwards toward the ceiling. While spinning slowly.. Kind of like https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1cA66qv8T4WVGZpZExxdWxDNDA/edit?usp=sharing

I've been racking my brain for days trying to think of a solution. I was considering just taking a top down photo and replicating the effect in post (the characters will barely be moving). However, there is a line of dialogue, and I don't think it would look very convincing...

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
sounds exactly like a shot they did in evil dead 2
i think they mentioned how to do this in the commentary but i don't recall the method

Without putting an incredible amount of thought into it, I would imagine perhaps a circular dolly track, with a jib on it, and the camera on a remote head.

I guess a perhaps easier way would be to shoot 6k on a Dragon sensor (you might be able to do it at 5k - I guess it all depends how far back you need to come), and do the zoom/rotate in post.

You also might be able to rig the MK-V Steadicam in some way.

I don't think there's a cheap option to do this, at least not without losing quality.

What have you got above the bed you might be able to rig to? Or other options for rigging (i.e. scaff pipe, wood etc.)?

You might be able to fashion some sort of hi-hat cross lazy susan type deal... I'm sure there are many grips who could come up with something pretty quickly.

Since there's absolutely nothing moving at all, in that example shot you provided, you could just take a still on your DSLR (at a much higher resolution than the video mode's 1920x1080) and rotate/zoom in post with that. Essentially what Jax suggested, but without needing all the gear. I did this for a shot last year. Worked great. If it's on one of the drives on my desk, I'll post if for ya'.

Since there's absolutely nothing moving at all, in that example shot you provided, you could just take a still on your DSLR (at a much higher resolution than the video mode's 1920x1080) and rotate/zoom in post with that. Essentially what Jax suggested, but without needing all the gear. I did this for a shot last year. Worked great. If it's on one of the drives on my desk, I'll post if for ya'.

Technically, you could take enough photos to re-create the entire room in AE, and fly a virtual camera around the entire room ;)

Actually, you could also take a wide photo as your background plate, then green screen in, or simply comp in the actors, if they have to move or talk..

Last edited:
It'll be a lot easier to do in post, especially if you're shooting on a DSLR.

Mount a fixed camera above your actors framed up for the tightest part of the shot. Film the actors doing the line of dialogue. Have them stay in place, raise the camera high enough to frame up the widest view you need, and shoot a still.

Bring the dialogue clip and the still into After Effects, and drag the still to the 'new comp' icon to make a composition which matches it in size. Change the comp settings to have a duration matching the length you need your shot to be. Drop the dialogue clip into the comp and move/scale it until it aligns with the still image and looks like one shot. It's best not to scale the dialogue clip down, so if it's too big you should scale the still image up and increase the comp size to compensate.

If the edges are visible you may need to add a square mask to the dialogue clip inset from the sides and then feather the mask to blend it. There may be too much detail in the still background as well, if so you'll want to add a slight blur until the it matches the detail in the dialogue clip.

Now create a new 1920x1080 comp and drop the first comp into it. Adjust the scale so that it lines up with the original dialogue shot, then add scale and rotation keyframes to create the pull/spin move you're looking for.

I know it may sound complicated, but once you've run through it it's a pretty simple procedure, and it's a good technique to learn because it has all kinds of useful applications to other types of shots.

3 eye hooks in around the center of the point in the ceiling you want to look down from. a circle of wood with a 90 degree offset that the camera mounts to, adjust the placement with the camera on for balance. Cut a groove along the edge of the circular piece to run some string. 3 eye hooks in the top of the circular piece.

String runs from the eye hooks on the top of the circular piece through the eye hooks in the ceiling. Pulling on these strings as a single unit will cause the camera platform to rise.

string wound around the disc can be pulled from either side to cause the platform to rotate.

hit play, one person raises the platform by pulling the strings on the ceiling while 2 people pull an equal amount on the side strings to get the platform to twist going up.

This may not be for you, but what if you made a DIY jib, that was able to spin the camera. The jib does not move, just the part that holds the camera does. This was done by a DP on a shoot I helped with last year.

If you don't have permission to put the eye hooks in the ceiling, grip stands with plenty of sandbag will do the trick.

I just moved into an apartment where you can't put nails in the walls. Those 3M sticky hooks actually work quite well. Just be sure you're using the right type/amount of them for how much weight it will hold.

Man some great thoughts here.

I'm thinking about pulling off a similar shot outside, but my actors will be moving.

Thought about a quadcopter, but we might not have the overhead (trees).

I'm shooting in a heavily wooded area and am considering a fly cam style system for positioning the head light and also rigging a camera that can float overhead.

So I have a difficult shot to achieve. I want a top down shot of two people lying down. With the camera moving outwards/upwards toward the ceiling. While spinning slowly.. Kind of like https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1cA66qv8T4WVGZpZExxdWxDNDA/edit?usp=sharing

I've been racking my brain for days trying to think of a solution. I was considering just taking a top down photo and replicating the effect in post (the characters will barely be moving). However, there is a line of dialogue, and I don't think it would look very convincing...

Any suggestions?

I instantly thought of the scene in Breaking Bad where Jesse tries heroin for the first time. Great shot.

I think ItDonnedOnMe's idea will be the simplest. It's in my parents house so I can't really do any modification, and don't really have the time/money/resources to build or buy much in the way of rig. My next challenge is finding a way to move the camera vertically without getting any horizontal movement! But thanks for the help guys!

Do you have or can you get a c-stand? If you have a local rental place it shouldn't be more than $10 or so to rent one. Mount the camera on the end of the boom arm, then you should be able to raise it vertically pretty easily. It's ok if the legs show up in the edge of the still, you should be able to clone them out in photoshop.

I don't have one. I'm currently in my home town for the next month or so. Figured I'd get some filming done while i had a break, but there are no rental shops here. I'll see if the local hardware or music shop have them, but I doubt it :/

Back