• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Title at end of short film?

Considering putting the title at the end of a 6 minute short instead of the begininning - it actually makes more sense for the film, but not sure how out of the norm that would be.

Thoughts?

On my last short, I put the title at the end. No reason you can't do it.

In fact, many will say to put all titles at the end. It's a short, so having any kind of drawn out title sequence at the beginning doesn't make sense.

I guess it's all personal preference...

Abnormal, but certainly acceptable.

Besides, no matter where it's listed it's always going to be labeled with a title whether it's played or not.
Always.
Moot issue.

Live life on the ragged edge.
Tape that fat bastard onto the end. ;)

I'm on board with not cluttering up one's film with BS before it starts, that said, I'd suggest you do run a short title -- very small and perhaps 2 seconds -- because it will serve as an indicator to the viewer (and film festival screeners) that we're watching the right film. Secondly, some may wonder if they've missed the first part of the film and may try to rewind, re-upload or whatever re- you have to do to make sure one is at the beginning of the film.

That's my .02 cents.

Considering putting the title at the end of a 6 minute short instead of the begininning - it actually makes more sense for the film, but not sure how out of the norm that would be.
It's considerably out of the norm.

Are you trying to stay within the norm? Then don't put your title
at the end even if it makes more sense for the film. If you are
willing to go out of the norm then do it.

Thanks for the input...

Perhaps I'll just put in the first three letters of the title at the beginning ; )

Joke.

Beginning it shall be. I'll place it again at the end before the credit scroll.

I tried the titles I had in mind at the end and they did not work as well as having put them in a minute into the short.

So, yes - a moot point.

Thanks for the replies.

The only reason to have your titile at the end is if it's some sort of punchline to the short (the title has (at first) no relation to the actual story until a certain event at the end) or you want to use the clip as an intro (like zombieland, with all the slow mo awesomness, the title, then the movie)

I guess I don’t see a controversy here. I see a thought provoking
question and many interesting replies. As ctbehrens found out, the
best way to address this is to give it a try. That’s what the post
production process is all about. Try it, show it and see how you
feel about it - see how an audience feels about it.

I really like the idea. Especially if the title itself is a “punch
line” to the movie. But if it doesn't work....

Back