Tips for filming in public

Well saturday is my first shoot that I will be doing in a decently populated area. I'll be filming a scene from my zombie short film, "The Biohazard", and it will take place on a walking bridge across a river that connects two towns. a person walks across the bridge about every 5 minutes, and right on the otherside of the bridge are a lot of cars that are constantly driving.

Since it's a zombie movie, i can't really have random people walking around in my shot nor cars driving around, as it's a post apocalyptic scenario. I already know I need to keep my shots tight to avoid cars and possible bystanders. are there any other things I can do to get in, film, and get out as fast as possible without much stress from the general public? any advice from personal experience? thanks

A tripod attracts attention. I use a small beanbag. Plop it down on the hood of any car, newspaper rack, garbage can and presto, nobody notices you're filming.

And, yes, rehearse elsewhere -- the suggestion posted earlier. The more daring your shot is, the higher the need to rehearse before showing up at the location you're trying to steal.

I've tried em all, in person, and the real Stedicam (c) is the only one that's any good. The cheap stabilizers are what you would expect. The stedicams, even the cheap 8k ones, are like magic. I put one on and walked around with it, and a 50 lb camera just floated effortlessly in front of me taking perfect tracking shots with the lightest touch. It literally amazed me. I came back from NAB and I'd completely forgotten about the camera I'd just bought. I was that into the stedicam.

It's expensive, I'll give you that, but they are really, really well made compared to the off brand substitutes.

I was on a commercial shoot for American Pickers and the steadicam guy was literally being pulled backwards all over the set, moving laterally as well, and on the monitor in video village it was as smooth as could be. I can't even imagine what that guy was getting paid. I would have lusted over the steadicam more if I wasn't busy lusting over the FOUR, count 'em FOUR Red Ones they had on set. One on sticks, one on the steadicam, two sitting on the cart for backup.

I was on a commercial shoot for American Pickers and the steadicam guy was literally being pulled backwards all over the set, moving laterally as well, and on the monitor in video village it was as smooth as could be. I can't even imagine what that guy was getting paid. I would have lusted over the steadicam more if I wasn't busy lusting over the FOUR, count 'em FOUR Red Ones they had on set. One on sticks, one on the steadicam, two sitting on the cart for backup.

You should have snagged one! :lol: just kiddin haha

1. It doesn't require much thought or planning. You don't have to actually figure out how to properly block scenes and shoot the proper coverage that will edit together in post from a series of static shots. You just follow people around with a camera and call it "filmmaking".
2. They for some ungodly reason decided to listen to Lars Von Trier
3. It is cheaper.
4. They think it looks cool and realistic, like the cinematics in their video games.

I still can't find any laws that says that having a tripod legally means production. If you get in trouble for using one without permission, I think you could argue in court that there is now law that says tripod makes all the difference, depending and/or state which country we're talking about here.

@harmonica44

Again, ask your film commission. Not even lawyers or judges know every law on the books, chances are you won't be able to find the law or precedent that declares you innocent or guilty. It's not just different state to state, but city to city and sometimes by county as well.

For the record, I always try to avoid a shoulder mount eye-level handheld shot because it's instantly recognizable and feels kind of cheap. Sometimes you can't get around it, but again, that's my preference.

Last edited:
It's gonna vary city by city. I just did a shoot on public streets in a small Tennessee town, I sent an email to the mayor's administrative assistant, very professional, telling them what I was doing, how big the crew was, how much I wanted to shoot in their town, etc... She put me in contact with the public safety comissioner. I sent him all the specifics, very professional, very detailed. I told him I had already spoken to the business owners in the area and had their permission. Because I wasn't blocking the streets or anything like that I didn't even have to get a permit, they didn't even ask about insurance. You don't know until you ask.

I still can't find any laws that says that having a tripod legally means production.

Whether a tripod, beanbag or a camera hidden in a van, if its illegal to film without permits in that particular city, it won't matter what you use.

The idea though, is to not get caught. A tripod is a sure-fire way to get caught. A beanbag? You might get a lot of footage before someone makes a ruckus. Alfred Hitchcock once shot out of a van because he was denied permission.

I still can't find any laws that says that having a tripod legally means production. If you get in trouble for using one without permission, I think you could argue in court that there is now law that says tripod makes all the difference, depending and/or state which country we're talking about here.
I never said law I said it was a guerrilla tip. And it's different everywhere! In NYC if a tourist plops a tripod down for a steady shot and starts shooting the cops will ask him to move along unless he has a permit. The tripod is a safety hazard on these busy streets and a permit is needed for anything that someone could trip on. If said tourist is handheld obviously there is no problem. The production in question sounded like they could get away with some quick shots on a bridge. Going handheld could possibly keep it all legal (depending on what the actors are doing), or at least keep them from being bothered as if getting tourist shots.

I am in no way suggesting anything about an entire production for budget's sake, or anything else! That's silly.

Now back to the OP's question. How did the shoot go?

I never said law I said it was a guerrilla tip. And it's different everywhere! In NYC if a tourist plops a tripod down for a steady shot and starts shooting the cops will ask him to move along unless he has a permit. The tripod is a safety hazard on these busy streets and a permit is needed for anything that someone could trip on. If said tourist is handheld obviously there is no problem. The production in question sounded like they could get away with some quick shots on a bridge. Going handheld could possibly keep it all legal (depending on what the actors are doing), or at least keep them from being bothered as if getting tourist shots.

I am in no way suggesting anything about an entire production for budget's sake, or anything else! That's silly.

Now back to the OP's question. How did the shoot go?

Oh it was quite interesting, read about it here

Tips for filming in public

Always use a light meter, and know how to set the camera's aperture manually.

Otherwise, you might be arrested for... indecent exposure.
emotrimshotwd1.gif

Contact your local film commission and ask them for the requirements to shoot in public. Besides a permit, some cities require set insurance in case of accidents.

See if your city requires set insurance and if you need to apply for a permit.

Back