Time Off

I tried that once but found it only getting worse. I learnt I have a need to create and without doing so, I could not deal with any other issues.

I hope you have better luck and look forward to an update here in a year.

What's happening to your production? I thought you had a deal in place?

There is a chance for a deal, but no guarantee. The studio world is a different world to Indie films. They have higher standards in some ways and see things differently as well.

I do have a possible backup, if the deal falls through. But, both are in a wait and see status.

Prolonged substantial income to keep up with the cost of living has gone too far where my clothes are too shabby and torn to wear, appliances in my apartment need replacing, I have been deprived from food for so long I can't think straight at times, and my computers are all breaking down where I cannot get things done in a proper manner. My car had two major breakdowns last year and I had to borrow money from friends to fix it.

Any shooting cost money. And, that is in too short a supply.

My sci-fi short is in a festival I cannot even attend because I cannot get the time off and cannot afford the trip, even if it wins an award

Thus, I must fix what is broken before I can work on another film.

I guess there are pros and cons to that approach but in the end it's each individuals decision. The pros are there is time to plan and work things out. The cons are the already attached cast may lose interest because the project has been the works for so long. That's the way actors are. No one can predict the future what matters is the hear and now. Listening to these conflicts
"Prolonged substantial income to keep up with the cost of living has gone too far where my clothes are too shabby and torn to wear, appliances in my apartment need replacing, I have been deprived from food for so long I can't think straight at times, and my computers are all breaking down where I cannot get things done in a proper manner. My car had two major breakdowns last year and I had to borrow money from friends to fix it.

Any shooting cost money. And, that is in too short a supply.

My sci-fi short is in a festival I cannot even attend because I cannot get the time off and cannot afford the trip, even if it wins an award"

Thus, I must fix what is broken before I can work on another film.

. I don't know but Thrift stores and such have some pretty decent clothing and such. Plus stuff that costs a fortune in these retail outlets sometimes they will have those same brands at WAY below wholesale cost. My friend just got some sneakers that originally retail for 199.00 for 11.00 bucks. The only minor flaw some scruff marks. Also I don't know what appliances he is referring to but sometimes WALMART, TARGET, has some decent stuff. The things is people have to know to become budget smart. And no Food? Really he must be eating something to survive this long. And I don't think this degrading to the least especially those that need it but have you tried applying for a WIC program (Food stamps? )

I have some solutions that might help him. A. Shelve this SF film and do something for LESS or NO/LOW budget with what resources you do have. B. Get some people together as a small crew and work for hire doing someones film,video project, etc like a production company. Weddings, Music videos, short films, etc. You can make out nice if you get enough jobs sometimes a few GOOD JOBS. A friend of mine made $6,000 in one weekend shooting a wedding. The bride was the daughter of a CEO of UTZ so you never know. They paid for his flight and everything room, board it was like a weekend vacation for him and it was in the Caribbean C. Give up some control on this SF film and get someone more seasoned to make it happen but work with the person as an assistant or something. Don't get shut out totally. So I hope this gives some insight some but again it's their decision.

Well, I prepared the cast and crew that we would most likely be bought out and replaced by studio people if the TV producer and their company are interested in the package to ensure the series is made their way to get results in rating they would not trust us with. So, if some or all move on, that will not stop the show. An Indie cast and crew will not be trusted with a multi-million dollar deal. A studio exec does not think much of the 22 minute short and suggested not showing it to TV show runners. But, the package is still be gone over by a TV producer. And, that same 22 minute short is in the Bare Bones Festival this April and being considered for an award. Different worlds have different standards.

Most of the cast and crew are loyal and would come back. A higher budget would make it possible to get some name talent with a higher skill level.

I shop at a chain of discount stores called Deal$ and also at Targets because supermarket prices are too high. But, even $20 for a new garbage can for my kitchen is expensive. I have been working with a food budget of $10 a week (not a day -- a week) for the last two years. I will be needing a new air conditioner because the old one is just about dead.

I have been fighting to survive, but I cannot keep this up much longer.

Last edited:
Sometimes you gotta take your hands off the wheel, step away from the vehicle and check out for a stint. It's OK. There's nothing wrong with and no shame in getting some perspective and taking care of personal business.

Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger.* :yes:

* more or less...

MDM, you selling any DVDs or other merch at the moment?!

I have not made a VOD or DVD of the prequel for the pilot. Even a short run of DVDs by a replicator cost money up front. With all of the missing footage from scenes in the script that were never shot, the film is more of a prequel. The missing scenes have been added into the next script for a two hour pilot.

The old film is virtually dead with next to no movement with sales.

Sometimes you gotta take your hands off the wheel, step away from the vehicle and check out for a stint. It's OK. There's nothing wrong with and no shame in getting some perspective and taking care of personal business.

Whatever doesn't kill us makes us stronger.* :yes:

* more or less...

I absolutely agree. Realizing that everyone has their breaking point keeps it real.

"A man has got to know his limits," Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry.

Hi Mike, sorry to hear about your situation. I'm not an expert in film making or rich but anything I can do to help, just ask and I'm sure a lot of other members on the board here would be willing to help too. It may sound low but have you looked into these begging websites? off the top of my head I think one is called outrageous requests. I don't know much about them or if they can get you money for your series but I've heard of people getting cars etc from them. In regards to your film have you looked at the telemarketing section on sites like fiverr ? it's hit and miss but if you're ever in a position where you can spare $5 give it a go. I found a pretty decent sound guy on there so there is talent about

something to think about anyway, take care buddy

Thanks WG.

I was talking with people on my day job about my situation. They believe I should take a step back to rebuild my financial situation before making any more films. Now, there are investors as well as producers interested in my serie. But, there is nothing final. So, I cannot say any of these deals are done deals because they are considering the series and proposal. It is like our 22 minute film is nominated for an award at the Bare Bones International Film Festival. It does not guarantee it will win as best sci-fi short.

In this business, nothing is final without the signed contract and money in the bank.

Each year, my income has been becoming smaller as my bills have been rising to add insult to injury. So, I need to clean up my existing debts with my 401Ks before I think about more shoots.

Back