Time-lapse green screen?

I'm wanting to make a music video with my friend strumming a guitar, and my idea is to time-lapse a background shot (like taking a photo every 2 seconds then compiling 24 into every second), and then green screen my friend sitting on a chair strumming in front of a green screen.

Is this the best way to do it? Or to have him green screen first then shoot the time-lapse, or to even do some total other technique? Thanks!

You can do it in either order, I guess. You're basically creating a video background out of multiple still images or film. You'll shoot your friend playing in front of a green screen before or after creating that footage, then key out the green screen and substitute your video.

Does that answer your question..? Good luck.

gelder

depends on how artistic\stylistic you want it... you can make this look real, or you can make it look artistic, both are interesting approaches.

You could have some fun trying the opposite...

Create an mp3 of the song at like 1/4 speed or even slower... have the performer lip sync to the drastically slowed down mp3, stage the whole thing some where with a lot of back ground action. In post speed the video playback up until the song is playing back at normal speed...

... you could also do something in between..

go with your green screen plan, but create several different SPEEDS of the song for lip syncing too, when you edit you can play with the different time playbacks to create something cool...

Create an mp3 of the song at like 1/4 speed or even slower... have the performer lip sync to the drastically slowed down mp3, stage the whole thing some where with a lot of back ground action. In post speed the video playback up until the song is playing back at normal speed...

I remember they did something like that in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCunuL58odQ

It was a pretty cool effect, and would be cool in conjunction with a timelapse background. Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm probably going to just have a sped up background, because I'm going to add effects in post to make him start out singing in the morning light, then go to night by the end of the song. Any tips for that?

Set your camera up on a tripod. Make sure its still the whole time and wake up very early take a picture every minute of the sunrise then during the day when the sun stays at its peak film your guy on the green screen and right before it turns night take a picture every minute of the sunset. put him in that setting and add the pictures and a average song is 2:30 so it will go from sunrise to sunset in 2 and a half minutes lol... And add whatever else you want in post :)

Yes, shoot that background first so you can match lighting on the GS stage. When shooting the background, there are sometimes 'happy accidents' that you can use to your advantage on the GS stage.

Example: While shooting the time lapse, a cloud rolled by, and drops an unexpected (but cool) thunder shower. Wouldn't it be fun to have the singer either get wet, or have someone step in and hold an umbrella over the singer?

Example: The trees are all bent over and flags flapping because it's a particularly windy day. So, why not blow some wind on the GS stage and toss a few leaves in there for good measure.

Example: The lighting conditions might change ... heck, let's say the sung goes down during the shoot. After the sun has set, you could turn on some lights on your location (car headlights). Then, in GS stage turn some similarly matched lights on your actor at the right-ish time. You can perfect the timing in post.

My point is, the background will offer you some ideas that may be cute, corny, or maybe even solid gold. Shoot it first, and see what if gives you. If you want to do something like the headlight gag, you can even shoot a few versions by going back to get it just right.

>>> EDIT: I just noticed I hijacked ConnerKent's sunset business. No offense intended, if I was seeking to steal anything from you, it'd be you BMI ;)

Last edited:
I had the intention of just greenscreening him ON location. Is that what I'm supposed to do in order to get the lighting perfect? Because all I have is my overhead lights in my house for indoor greenscreening.

I figured I would take the pictures for one angle, then put the singer in front of the GS with the camera still in the same spot. Can I do it that way?

GS on location can work. I've used it many times.

I was assuming you were going to match lighting on a GS stage. But, since you are shooting both plates in the same location & direction, feel free to shoot the foreground first. If you are only using available light, even better.

Since the BG may take a significant amount of time to shoot (and lighting may change over that time), you're biggest challenge is matching the lighting between the two plates. You will want to match the weather, lighting (if any), and time-of-day as closely as possible for both plates.

How long will your time-lapse take you to shoot? From what hour, to what hour, will you be shooting it?

EDIT: Oh, your idea to shoot two lock-offs from the exactly the same spot will work, and will aid you in integrating the two plates together. Carefully measure the camera height/tilt/roll. Take note of camera settings (including exposure & focus), and hang a plumb-bob from a known point of the sticks or camera and put a marker on the ground (paint / nail / tent peg); anything that will still be there when you return to shoot your foreground. This should help you with camera line up.

EDIT #2 I'd suggest you shoot a clean plate on both your shoot days. Shoot video, not stills. These plates could save you in post.

Last edited:
Ernest, you are right. No matter how many process shots I've worked on, it's never the same twice. Every situation is unique.

But even if you're going for a very specific look where the lighting doesn't match, I'd advise that you shoot the BG first. Otherwise, you won't know what you're not matching.

Best practices include: BG plate, first. Stage plates, second.

Thomas

Ernest, you are right. No matter how many process shots I've worked on, it's never the same twice. Every situation is unique.

But even if you're going for a very specific look where the lighting doesn't match, I'd advise that you shoot the BG first. Otherwise, you won't know what you're not matching.

Absolutely right. That's what i do sometimes, having control over projects even when there isn't control. But considering some ppl may be experimenting with being truly random... it would be better if they actually did not know how anything would match in post?

Yes, shoot that background first so you can match lighting on the GS stage. When shooting the background, there are sometimes 'happy accidents' that you can use to your advantage on the GS stage.

Example: While shooting the time lapse, a cloud rolled by, and drops an unexpected (but cool) thunder shower. Wouldn't it be fun to have the singer either get wet, or have someone step in and hold an umbrella over the singer?

Example: The trees are all bent over and flags flapping because it's a particularly windy day. So, why not blow some wind on the GS stage and toss a few leaves in there for good measure.

Example: The lighting conditions might change ... heck, let's say the sung goes down during the shoot. After the sun has set, you could turn on some lights on your location (car headlights). Then, in GS stage turn some similarly matched lights on your actor at the right-ish time. You can perfect the timing in post.

My point is, the background will offer you some ideas that may be cute, corny, or maybe even solid gold. Shoot it first, and see what if gives you. If you want to do something like the headlight gag, you can even shoot a few versions by going back to get it just right.

>>> EDIT: I just noticed I hijacked ConnerKent's sunset business. No offense intended, if I was seeking to steal anything from you, it'd be you BMI ;)
Haha no worries, you elaborated on it more and had some nice ideas. And hahaha ;P

Back