Time for a new tripod?

Okay, I'm about to chuck my tripod out the window.

I have a Primus metal tripod, I got it for 20 bucks at a pawn shop a few years ago(yea, yea, get what you pay for, go ahead, Wheatgrinder, I KNOW you want to say it :lol:). It holds the camera steady, fine, but, it's the level "bubble": I straighten it and get the bubble overtop to show it "level", yet when I shoot, the shot is slightly angled to the right. I've checked the camera mount, and nothing seems to be visibly off surface wise, is it possible the mount itself is tilted, and is this a common problem?

Also, I lately have the problem of the camera panning slightly from side to side when filming, so sometimes it "jiggles" the frame slightly (air currents? Ghosts?), regardless of how much I tighten it.

If I have to get a new tripod, what should I look for/test out as far as making sure these things don't occur(and is there anyway of fixing my problems in the meantime).

Anyone have an orphan tripod I can adopt? ;)

craigslist and ebay are your friend. But go to a camera store and look at whats available. It helps to know what the good stuff looks like if your shopping on line... lots of options on my local craigslist.. though, when I went to look a few cheepies, three of the four were missing the camera quick release plate.. sellers didn't even know it..

budget, who needs budget..

http://cgi.ebay.com/SACHTLER-20-FLU...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3cabab1937

I have one like this http://cgi.ebay.com/QUICKSET-FOR-3C...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a7ed49d7

.. paid $99 on ebay, pased on another for the same price on CL.. so $99 seems about the right price.

Thanks for the feedback. And the reminder of the fluid head. I guess I'm going to have to save a bit. In the meantime, any suggestions for the slight panning from side to side when no one is near it? Is there something I can maybe adjust short term so it doesn't move around?

I've been looking at different ones, and getting an idea what I would like (of course, what I like and what I can afford are two different things sometimes!:lol:)

Been budgeting for things, and only so much money to go around each month (dang bills and eating!) May have to make use of the old Primus for a little longer anyway. But thanks for the advice, I have an idea of what to look for now.:D

I got a bunch of manfrotto tripods, they are pretty good for photos but if your doing video and don't already have a tripod (or getting a new one). Get a video tripod with a bowl; I was looking at one the other day, not very expensive and you can put whatever head you want on it later (which fits the bowl). Again it will cost you a couple hundred bucks but as wheatgrinder said, buying used will save you quite a bit of money.

Also check out thrift stores (not pawn shops) as they sometimes have older tripods which still work great. Just avoid the sub-$100 retail is my suggestion. The known universe is a big place and those cheap ones dislike drastic temperature changes (-25 deg C to 25 deg C and pop the head comes off).

Droowl-I may try that, I wondered if it might be the mount itself or something like that, thanks! :)

Graeme-Yea, the known universe is a pretty big good place (but do they have some weirdos! ;)) and big enough to find a tripod.

I'm not familiar with the bowl, I'lll have to check it out and see. I'll also look around the thrift stores. The pawn shop one was kinda lucky, I see others there now which he sells for like 100 bucks and I'm like "they're not even new!":rolleyes:

Between saving for various things from mics to tripods to mask making materials, my calculator is about to go on strike! :D

Back