series Tim Burton Eyes ‘Addams Family’ Live-Action TV Series Told from Wednesday’s POV

indienews

Staff Member
Admin
Tim Burton is circling a live-action television series of “The Addams Family,” inspired by the beloved characters from the cartoons created by Charles Addams and the 1964 TV series produced by David Levy. Deadline first reported the news that Burton also is in talks to direct and executive produce all episodes of this latest take on the horror-comedy franchise.

MGM Television, which controls the IP rights, financed the development on the series, and Deadline reports that numerous top bidders are in play, including Netflix. “Smallville” and “Into the Badlands” creators and executive producers Alfred Gough and Miles Millar will serve as head writers on the program, and will executive produce alongside Burton.

According to the report, the new live-action series is said to be set in present day and told from the point of view of Wednesday Addams. The character was most recently voiced by Chloe Grace Moretz in the 2019 animated “Addams Family” film, and in earlier iterations was portrayed by Christina Ricci in Barry Sonnenfeld’s 1991 “The Addams Family” live-action movie and the 1993 sequel, “Addams Family Values.” In the 1960s TV series, she was played by Lisa Loring. A sequel to the recent animated film, “The Addams Family 2,” is set to launch on October 8, 2021, from United Artists Releasing in the U.S., with Moretz joined by fellow voice cast members Charlize Theron, Bette Midler, Oscar Isaac, Bill Hader, Nick Kroll, Snoop Dogg, and more.

The news arrives as “The Addams Family” begins a revival rollout this weekend throughout theaters that are currently open in the U.S. During its original run, the film grossed more than $191 million at the box office. Tim Burton reportedly passed on directing the 1991 movie starring Anjelica Huston and Raul Julia, as he was working on “Batman Returns.”

Burton similarly mined classic television for his 2012 fantasy film “Dark Shadows,” based on the 1970s TV series. His most prominent TV project was serving as executive producer on the animated series “Beetlejuice,” based on his 1988 cult classic and running for four seasons from 1989 through 1991. He also executive produced the 1993 animated series “Family Dog.”

Burton’s last film was another live-action remake, 2019’s “Dumbo.” Prior, he directed “Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children.”

IndieWire has reached out to MGM representatives for comment.

They need to work with the writers of Schitt's Creek. SC is basically a Beverly Hillbillies (in reverse)/Green Acres fish-out-of-water story that works in modern times. If you told me the writers of SC were doing this, I'd say hell yeah, this will work.

I watched SC five episodes and found it pretty mediocre. Not bad by any means but I don’t see th the exceptionalism

Last edited:
I watched SC five episodes and found it pretty mediocre. Not bad by any means but I don’t see th the exceptionalism
I don't watch much TV and stopped watching it. But it is really good! It's just not my style but I can admit when something is good and not exactly like it.

I don't watch much TV and stopped watching it. But it is really good! It's just not my style but I can admit when something is good and not exactly like it.
Did we watch the same show lol
It wasn’t that funny and the plot was weird

there is this super super hot young attractive woman who apparently has no life and no friends and just clings to their family like a lost puppy. I’ve never seen such a hot young woman be such a loser anywhere in any show it actually bothers me a lot

LOL. There's nothing groundbreaking about it, it hearkens back to the Beverly Hillbillies/Green Acres era and pulls it off which is hard. Did you watch those shows? They were silly.

LOL. There's nothing groundbreaking about it, it hearkens back to the Beverly Hillbillies/Green Acres era and pulls it off which is hard. Did you watch those shows? They were silly.
No I don’t watch much tv that was before my time.
Everyone keeps talking about this show though. I even heard Aaron sorkin talking about it in YouTube recently

Back