• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch THE WHISTLE 3 - horror short film

Hey everybody! :)

As newcomers to the film, we released our first short film "The Whistle" two years ago. The short film hit the 500,000 clicks relatively quickly. We invested another year to write a story and create a second part. At the end of 2018, we shot the second (deliberately confused) part of the "The Whistle" series. Even this already counts over 500.000 clicks on Youtube and became thus a worthy successor. In January, our latest low-budget project has started: "THE WHISTLE 3 | MARIA". We tell the story of "The Whistle" and jump back to the year 1870. It was a big challenge for us. A lot of time flowed into the post-processing because we wanted to create a completely new world, especially for this part. We took a big step forward and would like to present the result :) We hope you like it.

Super creepy vibe and the old mountain setting is very mysterious. I always felt like before something was revealed it cut to another shot so that was an interesting yo-yo effect. Will def check the other videos. Good job, team. It plays mostly in one's head.

Thank you for your kind words and nice feedback, I really appreciate it! The mountain setting was a lot of work, but it was worth it. For me it's always important to know what the audience think while watching it, to check if the cinematography and sound design I've chosen/created gives the feeling I intended.
I hope you like the first parts too!

Hi! Seen the first two Whistle movies. Really seems like in the 2nd and 3rd you guys are hitting your stride so that is good. I also like how you tease out information. Look forward to other directions in the next installments. (Ich fand die deutsche Kennzeichen auch gut!) Bis dann, Gary

Great job! This work is "next level." The candle scene is excellent.

I would like to know how you are accomplishing this work. What are you shooting and editing with? How did you do the shot with the horse and storm clouds? Also, how did you do the shot where the creature is looking down at the building from the cliff top? Any drone shots used? How are the creatures realized; traditional makeup, CGI, or a combination of both?

Great job! This work is "next level." The candle scene is excellent.
Thanks a lot! I am very glad that you like the scene!

I would like to know how you are accomplishing this work. What are you shooting and editing with?
I am recording with a DSLR Nikon D3300, using a lot of lights and a low-light lens (Nikkor 1.8 35mm).
The key is Adobe After Effects. I have taught myself since I was 16 years old, and now I am developing my own techniques for implementation.

How did you do the shot with the horse and storm clouds? Also, how did you do the shot where the creature is looking down at the building from the cliff top? Any drone shots used? How are the creatures realized; traditional makeup, CGI, or a combination of both?
The horse is animated with Element 3D (Adobe After Effects Plugin), the storm is a sky replacement and the whole scenery is expanded.
The creature (looking down from the building) was played by me in front of a green screen and with After Effects and motion capturing I added veins and skin structures. It was a drone shot that I turned into a 3D space where I added the old buildings, fog, the mountain, turned everything into night, deleted modern buildings/citys in the background and animated the fire animation. This took me ~ 100h:
DJI_Footage_1 (0;00;32;04)_original (0;00;00;00)_before after.jpg

We created a latex mask for the creature (for motion capturing) and with some After Effects skills + CGI, I brought it to life (ending scene)
creation_mask_the whistle (0-00-00-00).jpg

Hi! Seen the first two Whistle movies. Really seems like in the 2nd and 3rd you guys are hitting your stride so that is good. I also like how you tease out information. Look forward to other directions in the next installments. (Ich fand die deutsche Kennzeichen auch gut!) Bis dann, Gary
Hey Gary!
Many many thanks! I am very happy you telling me the projects are getting better! Exactly this is my goal :)
Thanks for your kind words! Viele Grüße, Klaus von Bäppel Entertainment

Hey thanks for the words and very much also for the reply to Scoopicman as you have added all the detail and pictures about the making of your movies. I'm not familiar with that (After Effects) but should be...

Can’t wait to watch all 3! Love seeing the effort and all the work that truly goes into a project. I’m a musician and know that for even a 3:30 minute song takes hours upon hours until the finished product. Love it.

Back