The Stupid

The idea of this thread is to post examples you see in either film or TV shows that is (subjectively!) stupid.

For example:

Hawaii 5-O.

I'd post specific examples from the series but watching twenty seconds of any episode should give you a good idea of what I mean. Buuuut, since I'll probably get reamed for not posting examples, I'll list a few generic ones that appear in pretty much every episode (and yes, for some strange, unfathomable reason, I watch every episode):

1. They do something no cop on the planet who wants to live longer than one day would ever do.
  2. They come up with suppositions that are eerily accurate despite little to no evidence that supports their hypothesis.
  3. They turn their backs on bad guys to face the camera.
  4. They perform acts of terrorism and treason on a daily basis that would send any real person in the real world to Guantanamo.
  5. They explain in great detail exactly what is happening in the plot so that the audience doesn't have to piece it together themselves.
  6. One of the female cast members is seen in a bikini despite there being no real reason for them to be in it or the scene being entirely out of context (not that I'm complaining, 'cause Boomer is hot).

Got any of your own examples? Any show, any movie and, of course, entirely subjective :D

Last edited:
Hehe. No need to add the (subjective) disclaimer, cuz that goes without saying. ;)

Yeah, I also get annoyed by the rampant use of exposition in crappy TV. I'm not at all against exposition, and in fact I think it's just sometimes necessary, but I think TV dramas use it like a crutch, and it's often eye-roll inducing.

Yeah, I also get annoyed by the rampant use of exposition in crappy TV. I'm not at all against exposition, and in fact I think it's just sometimes necessary, but I think TV dramas use it like a crutch, and it's often eye-roll inducing.

Lately I've been noticing it everywhere. Hemlock Grove, Nikita, Once Upon a Time, Revolution, etc. And yeah, I watch a lot of crap TV. I think the only recent TV show that does the flashback thing half-decently is Arrow.

They come up with suppositions that are eerily accurate despite little to no evidence that supports their hypothesis.

If we can include classic books, Sherlock Holmes made many crazy leaps of logic that are just outlandish.

One in particular - upon finding a lost pocketwatch, that the owner was a drunkard 'cos the tiny keyhole had scratches from the key around the edges. :huh:

Oh, and can't forget pretty much anything done by the World's Greatest Detective...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXKYQvP0zQ0

This stuff has been around forever. :lol:

Each and every time someone in film pulls back the pistol's hammer for "extra drama."
Each and every time someone in film pulls back the pistol's slide for "extra drama." (There was likely a perfectly good round already chambered.)
Each and every time someone in film pumps a shotgun for "extra drama." (I'd love to see the perfectly good shell ejected. :lol:)

If we can include classic books, Sherlock Holmes made many crazy leaps of logic that are just outlandish.

Context matters. Sherlock Holmes entire character is based around his genius. Steve McGarrett's character is entirely based around a script-writer's inability to write anything better.

Not only that, but the character's aren't even consistent across the series. In the most recent episode, Steve accuses Danny of crossing a line with a couple because he promised them that they'd find their daughter. Only... Steve did the exact same thing only a dozen or so episodes ago, and it was Danny who came down hard on Steve.

I won't pretend like I watch these shows because I'm talented or intelligent. I watch them because I'm bored. But one thing I learned a long time ago about critical appreciation and creative progression was to look for flaws in things and learn from them in order to not make the same mistakes. Hawaii 5-O, under those considerations, qualifies as one of the very best film-making teaching tools in existence today. Seriously, watching just one episode will make you a better film-maker, I guarantee it.

Last edited:
I get irritated when military people are portrayed by actors that seemed to have done no research whatsoever as to how real Soldiers conduct themselves on a day to day basis. If I see one more idiot pull the pin on a grenade with is teeth I'll hurl. The there are the morons that fire an RPG or AT4 (Bunker Buster/anti-armor weapon) from inside a vehicle or aircraft. Doing this will get you killed in a heartbeat. I also despise uniform mistakes. If you are going to do a movie with military scenes in it find a subject matter expert and pay for his experitse (I'm listed as such with the Alabama Film Commission). Just my personal rant.

You guys do realize the networks tell their TV studios that the shows must be dumbed down for an audience with a six grade reading level?

Josh Friedman was vocal about Fox TV telling him to dumb down The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Any sound or fiery explosion in the vacuum of space.

Bright orange (gasoline fume) explosions for pretty much anything that blows up.

Any sound or fiery explosion in the vacuum of space.

Bright orange (gasoline fume) explosions for pretty much anything that blows up.

Mythbusters has forever ruined every action movie for me for the future of ever. Both explosions and guns/bullets now piss me off in films simply because I know how stupidly unrealistic they are. It's kinda sad because personally I think the truth is cooler and more interesting and exciting.

I just caught up with Revolution because I had some brain cells to kill.

My God is that show stupid. Is it aimed at three year olds? How the hell money gets spent on idiotic, moronic crap like that while good shows fall by the way-side or never get taken up will always puzzle me.

Oh, and can't forget pretty much anything done by the World's Greatest Detective...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXKYQvP0zQ0

This stuff has been around forever. :lol:

I nearly cried loool :lol:

The guy approaches 4 people...

"someone here called batman?"......

at this point i was wondering if he was being serious.. theres a guy with a bat sign on his chest, has a bat cowl on his head and you still asked if theres a batman ...

thats what makes great TV folks

Hehe. No need to add the (subjective) disclaimer, cuz that goes without saying. ;)

3ok5f9-245x300.jpg

Im such a sucka that Ill overlook anything in the interest of entertainment. Ill watch something soon with an eye for stupidity and report my findings!

I suppose one of the stupidest things I've seen recently is Irreversible. David Edelstein sums up what makes it so stupid very well. Warning: his review is full of spoilers. Which is not to say that I don't recommend that you IT folk see it. I do. I think it's worth seeing. But, for lack of a better way of putting it, it is offensive and probably "the most homophobic movie ever made."

Anatomy of Hell was also a bit silly on some levels. Though, I don't really want to knock it. I didn't resent it like some other commentators I've read, apparently. No, I like that films like this can get made --"indie" in the truest sense. Still. Some silliness does ensue.

Yeah. Perhaps I haven't seen enough to properly judge. But I watched a few minutes of the new Hawaii Five-0 and abandoned it pretty quickly.

Back