The Sound of "Flight"

Randy Thom (one of my personal heroes) discusses doing the sound design of "Flight." This particular team - Robert Zemeckis (director), Don Burgess (DP), Alan Sylvestri (composer) and Randy Thom (supervising sound editor, sound design, rerecording mixer) - have made several of my favorite movies, so I'm really looking forward to this one.

http://soundworkscollection.com/flight

That was awesome, thanks for posting, Alcove. I love hearing about how Randy Thom et al approach sound design, constructing a sound from a plethora of disparate elements (they must listen to absolutely everything! And be constantly thinking things like, "Whoa if you slowed it down a bit, that door slam would make a great hull breaching"), it's so creative. There's nothing else like it.

Very cool watch, yes. :cool:

Found the talk about seamlessly dropping pitch to be quite interesting. That's something I've noticed in many musical tracks over the years, as a chronic whistler, that whole dropping phenomenon. :blush:

One thing that really didn't jibe so well was discussing these two parts:

realistic alerts in cockpit vs. modulating engine whine & cabin for dramatic effect

Discussion is had about how important it is for the cockpit sirens to be "real". Sure, I understand that. But the only people who are ever going to appreciate that are the pilots & other authorised entrants in the cockpit. Those siren sounds could be whatever the heck you wanted, and still sound pretty legit to the general movie-going audience.

Shortly after, talk is about how much effort they put into altering the sounds... the ones that real-life passengers are more likely to actually hear... and changing those to make them much more dramatic.

I really don't get that. Show the audience the realism in the area they will never experience to compare? And fudge the sounds in the areas where they most likely actully are, for dramatic effect?

Oh well. Sound is a fine art, absolutely. That was just weird. :)

One thing that really didn't jibe so well was discussing these two parts:

Discussion is had about how important it is for the cockpit sirens to be "real". Sure, I understand that. But the only people who are ever going to appreciate that are the pilots & other authorised entrants in the cockpit. Those siren sounds could be whatever the heck you wanted, and still sound pretty legit to the general movie-going audience.

Shortly after, talk is about how much effort they put into altering the sounds... the ones that real-life passengers are more likely to actually hear... and changing those to make them much more dramatic.

I really don't get that. Show the audience the realism in the area they will never experience to compare? And fudge the sounds in the areas where they most likely actully are, for dramatic effect?

Ah, it made absolute sense to me, I think you are getting confused between realism and perception. Consider these points:
1. Alarms in the cockpit are a purely aural phenomena.
2. You want an alarm to sound dramatic, to immediately grab the pilot's attention, to be annoying so it won't be ignored and to be different to all the other potential aural alarms so the pilot can identify which alarm is which.
3. You don't need to design all of this for every alarm in post production, it's already been painstakingly sound designed by the equipment manufacturers! Why reinvent the wheel when most of the hard work has already been done, just record reality.

Now, compare those points with the following points regarding the perception of all the sounds in the cabin and the operation of the engines and other mechanical parts:
1. None of the perception of these events is purely aural.
2. None of these sounds have been designed for dramatic impact. If anything the opposite is true, they may have been designed to make as little objectionable noise as possible.
3. Just recording what the passengers would hear in the cabin is only one part of what the passengers would perceive/experience. As well as hear, we physically feel the cabin shaking and the operation of the engine and other mechanical parts. Also, in addition to the physical and aural sensations there is an emotional response which also forms part of the perception/experience.

In film we only have sight and sound, so we use sound design to go beyond the restriction of only what the passengers would hear and instead, try to recreate what the passengers would experience. When done convincingly, this is far more involving and exciting for the audience than only feeding them with realistic sound. To me, this really is the heart of sound design. It's not about the most realistic sound, it's about involving the audience in the story by enhancing the story telling.

G

This will start another of those long discussions about perspective and perception.

Randy Thom specifically mentioned that his boss, the director of the film Robert Zemeckis, is a pilot, and that Zemeckis himself wanted that specific accuracy of the cockpit alarms. You always give your boss what s/he wants.

When it comes to:

Shortly after, talk is about how much effort they put into altering the sounds... the ones that real-life passengers are more likely to actually hear... and changing those to make them much more dramatic. I really don't get that. Show the audience the realism in the area they will never experience to compare? And fudge the sounds in the areas where they most likely actully are, for dramatic effect?

Now you are talking about emotional content. There is absolutely no way you can reproduce in a theatre the reality of being is an aircraft in distress - the fear, the panic, the adrenaline rush and everything else that that assaults your emotions, your intellect and your body during a time of extreme crisis. In a situation like that, unless you are a trained "crisis" professional like a soldier, cop, fireman, pilot, etc., you become totally involved in your personal distress. Secondly, in real situations of that type, you mostly have a roaring cacophony of sound, and in your distressed state you are unable to lick out individual details.

So as a filmmaker you must do everything that you can to invoke the only response available to you, the emotional response. You can't tilt the theatre so everyone is hanging face down, you can't flip it over, you can't break the decibel level laws. That is why you must choose and tailor sounds that will evoke those emotional responses.

Last edited:
Thanks for introducing me to a new site, Alcove!

I enjoyed the BTS video. Love the paint can mixer idea!

On a visual note, I can see 'Flight's crash site seems to be on church grounds but boy did this (still) remind me of one of the memorials at Flight 93's crash site. I'm going to assume it was totally deliberate and as an homage.

dmv4fo.jpg

flyczk.jpg

Alcove, thanks for posting this. Really enjoyed this look into the sound world. I'd consider myself a Cinematographer, but this was great!

Hey Greg, we posted within 11 minutes of each other. We both said, when it comes to the basics, essentially the same thing.

Bird - yeah, it's a terrific site; lots of fun and inspiration.

Way cool!

I enjoyed doing sound design for my feature (along with everything else). Zemeckis is totally right that the mix constitutes the final draft of the movie.

Forwarded the BTS vid to a friend who works on the large planes. Gonna get his opinion on the cockpit sound authenticity thing.

Edit: Master Crew Chief says it's the real McCoy. Still don't get it, though.

Last edited:
Hey Greg, we posted within 11 minutes of each other. We both said, when it comes to the basics, essentially the same thing.

Yes, we do tend to completely agree on the basics of sound design. As indeed should any good, experienced professional feature film sound designer and director. The beauty of sound design is that it's an art, so although we can agree on the basics of sound design, we might have completely different ideas on how to implement it for a particular project and we can agree that's how it should be too!

Edit: ... Still don't get it, though.

Really, didn't my explanation above help at all? :(

G

Back