• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

The nuance of Sound Design

This is a pretty great article that backs up everything APE says about Sound Design, and might get you thinking creatively about it:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/201...ions-roaring-art-of-sound-in-movies?CMP=fb_gu

Some highlights:

His expertise, fittingly, is what can’t be seen – sound, yes, but also everything else that sound is to the human mind: the way we orient ourselves in relation to spaces, to time, to each other; the way we communicate when language fails; the way our ears know, precognitively, when the dark room has someone lurking in it or when a stranger will be kind. He orchestrates the levels of human perception that most people either fail to examine or lack the ability to notice at all. His job is to make you feel things without ever knowing he was there.

Consider the scene at the end of No Country For Old Men when Javier Bardem’s character has a car accident. After the crunch of impact, there are a few moments of what might be mistaken for stillness. The two cars rest smoking and crumpled in the middle of a suburban intersection. Nothing moves – but the soundscape is deceptively layered. There is the sound of engines hissing and crackling, which have been mixed to seem as near to the ear as the camera was to the cars; there is a mostly unnoticeable rustle of leaves in the trees; periodically, so faintly that almost no one would register it consciously, there is the sound of a car rolling through an intersection a block or two over, off camera; a dog barks somewhere far away. The faint sound of a breeze was taken from ambient sounds on a street like the one depicted in the scene. When Javier Bardem shoves open the car door, you hear the door handle stick for a moment before it releases. There are three distinct sounds of broken glass tinkling to the pavement from the shattered window, a small handful of thunks as he falls sideways to the ground, his laboured breathing, the chug of his boot heel finally connecting with the asphalt – even the pads of his fingers as they scrabble along the top of the window. None of these sounds are there because some microphone picked them up. They’re there because Lievsay chose them and put them there, as he did for every other sound in the film. The moment lasts about 20 seconds. No Country For Old Men is 123 minutes long.

You need the ability not only to hear with an almost superhuman acuity but also the technical proficiency and Job-like patience to spend hours getting the sound of a kettle’s hiss exactly the right length as well as the right pitch – and not only the right pitch but the right pitch considering that the camera pans during the shot, which means that the viewer’s ear will subconsciously anticipate hearing a maddeningly subtle (but critical) Doppler effect, which means that the tone the kettle makes as it boils needs to shift downward at precisely the interval that a real kettle’s hiss would if you happened to walk by at that speed.

The Coen brothers are treasured by Lievsay’s tribe, in part because they begin sound design unusually early in the process – often while still writing and shooting. “The way they work is the dream,” C5’s dialogue editor, Eliza Paley, told me. “They understand that sound is also storytelling.”

It becomes clear, in moments like these, exactly how unconscious the experience of sound is, how neatly it skirts our higher reasoning to make us feel. It does not matter if you know the violence is just pretend – make the gunshot noise loud and accurate enough and your body will believe it is real. For this reason, sound is one of the most visceral, subtle tools available to filmmakers. No need to wait to see the limp of the boy who has fallen off his bicycle to know that his ankle is broken – a small crunching noise added to his landing will make a viewer cringe in empathy.

Francis Copola created the credit of "Sound Designer" to reflect his creative development and use of sound.

Which was all encompassing and included music, dialog and foley. All of the things a sound designer is not according to your description which is clearly steeped in fact... yet Good ole Murchy was the first Sound Designer on the planet for doing exactly all of those things including the final mix... for which he received a single all encompassing credit.

All of the things you say Sound Design is not are precisely the things that drove FF to coin the term.

You have quite a conundrum on your hands.

Last edited:
Not only are you an asshole... you're also an idiot.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078788/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

Walter Murch didn't do all the things you seem to thing.... music? dialog? foley? WTF are you talking about? Look at the credits in the above link...

My only conundrum is why I'd waste any more time trying to help ignorant people who also have a rude attitude. Excuse me... I have to go to work... as a professional who works on films and television shows every day for a living.

I'm not the one who launched out of the gate with "you made your fact-less definition up in your mind".

Films have lots of credits, but the fact remains, FFC knighted Murch the Sound Designer because he was the individual ultimately responsible for all aspects of the film's audio track, from the dialogue and sound effects recording to the re-recording (mix) of the final track. This is highly publicized and I am not mentioning it to be abrasive or ruffle feathers, honestly.

Last edited:
Then why does he also have the credit of re-recording mixer? By your logic... there is no such role. Only the "sound designer"

You don't know the difference between these roles.... so you're lumping them together. Mixing final elements together was Walter's "technical job"

Creating the helicopter sequence at the opening of A.N. was Walter's creative idea that exemplifies why Coppola wanted to credit him as "Sound Designer"

That's not the typically role of the Re-Recording Mixer though.... just like mixing all the final elements isn't the role of a Sound Designer....

Then why does he also have the credit of re-recording mixer? By your logic... there is no such role. Only the "sound designer"

If you want to look into Apocalypse/FFC/WM just a little bit further you'll see what I mean I promise. I know there are credits flying around everywhere, but the very genesis of the creation of a brand new credit was rooted in the very fact that Murch had his fingers in so many pieces of the pie and then the final mix. This is why the credit was created, not because he made some foley.

I can't argue that the term hasn't come to mean a million other things now-a-days... apparently like so many other terms thinking of some recent conversations.. but the origin was all encompassing as I described.

You don't know the difference between these roles.... so you're lumping them together.

Ouch. Why sell me so short? I know all the roles and often solely fill them on my little projects... and then depending on the circumstances I may lump them together and use the term Sound Designer to shore them up. I do this yes because I think it's a neat way to describe these sorts of people, but mainly because that is how the term was first applied.

Creating the helicopter sequence at the opening of A.N. was Walter's creative idea that exemplifies why Coppola wanted to credit him as "Sound Designer"

This isn't true. People have been creating foley since the beginning of talkies. FFC came up with "Sound Designer" because Murch was also overseeing all of the other audio pieces and ultimately mixed them together.

That's not the typically role of the Re-Recording Mixer though....

Which is why FFC wanted a new title to convey the all encompassing role. I promise this is publicized. And I also by no means meant to say it's invention eradicated other credits.

Last edited:
I can't argue that the term hasn't come to mean a million other things now-a-days...
We can completely agree about this.... Sound Design has come to mean a million things... sometimes when talking to other people I feel like it can be both all encompassing and meaningless.

I find it especially humorous when I meet producers who lump music into the sound design equation... it's like lumping directors, editors, and camera operators into the same title.

Last edited:
I can't speak to APE - my specialty is Cinematography.. But if I liken it to lighting - to me, it's kinda like asking a professional artist 'can you give me some general, non-specific tips on how to make my drawings look better?'

The first thing he says will be 'What are you drawing?'

It seems to me that you think his question is ridiculous - does he really need to know what I'm drawing to be able to give me any tips??!!

You can either walk away and say 'well it doesn't matter - I could be drawing anything, isn't there some simple ways that I can effect a viewer with drawings no matter what I draw?'

You could say 'let's say it's a dog'

To which he'll reply 'what kind of dog?'

If I met your art professor and he asked me "what kind of dog," I'd tell him that it doesn't matter because I'm not interested in that level of detail because I can't use that level of detail. That level of detail is useless to someone with my funds and goals for this particular painting.

If you said to me 'okay I get that lighting is really important in my film, but what can I do with my low budget to light my scenes better?'
I can only respond with: well, it depends on the scene. Is it a bright, sunny day? Is it a dark, moody bar? What mood/feelings do you want to evoke? How could I possibly advise if I didn't have all the information?
I'm not interested in 'mood.' I want natural lighting with minimum shadows. I want as close to 360 lighting with the 4 lights I have. I can' afford to think about 'mood.' If the 'mood' in my movie is wrong, so be it. I'll think about it a little, and then I'll stop thinking about it, because I have a scene to finish shooting, even if it is the wrong 'mood.'

The film crafts are, in general, not overly complex - but they're not a simple 'paint-by-numbers' technique either.

They're actually not complex at all. And sometimes there isn't even any thought put into things. I heard Spielberg describe the reasons for his choice of lens in "Munich." Do you know what it was? It had nothing to do with the story. It had nothing to do with the mood. He used long lenses because he and Janusz Kaminski hadn't used them in a while, and wanted to use them in his next movie. That was the reason. You can take his choice of lenses and draw all kinds of conclusions about how the choice is related to the story. It wasn't. (I can't find the video)

You can break down a scene as much as you want. My movie is simple. It's low budget. It has to be shot in 11 days. You can either help me with advice, or you can tell me it can't be done, because you can't create the necessary mood. Meanwhile, I have a movie to shoot, people to feed, and lights to set up.

How can I possibly light a blank set if all I know is that it's a restaurant?

If you can't then I guess you can't. Or you could ask me a couple of questions about the restaurant and then advise me. But if you have to ask me 10 questions before you can advise me, we're already on different pages, and your advice is too 'expert,' and I can't use it anyway. I don't have the budget for it.

You're not trying to tell me that there's no difference in the effect of the cinematography between someone watching True Detective on their iPhone, and a video they shot on their iPhone of their friends mucking around...?

No, I'm not telling you that. But filmmakers keep insisting that their films were meant to be watched on the big screen, to have the right effect and whatnot. Well whatever it was meant for, people are watching it on their iphones. So I guess that effect is not being had.

I recognize the need for good lighting. I recognize the need for good sound design. But you're making things more complex than they need to be in my situation.

They're actually not complex at all. And sometimes there isn't even any thought put into things. I heard Spielberg describe the reasons for his choice of lens in "Munich." Do you know what it was? It had nothing to do with the story. It had nothing to do with the mood. He used long lenses because he and Janusz Kaminski hadn't used them in a while, and wanted to use them in his next movie. That was the reason. You can take his choice of lenses and draw all kinds of conclusions about how the choice is related to the story. It wasn't. (I can't find the video)

I think Speilberg is allowed to be loose and frivolous with his choice of lens, though, because he had decades of experience before then, and so he basically knew all of the ins and outs enough to make a decision like that with a lot less thought than is usually required. But that doesn't mean there wasn't still a method behind how the lens was used for each individual shot, and the compositions of those shots. Lens focal length still has an inherent effect on the viewer, and so when and where to use a certain length still matters.

No, I'm not telling you that. But filmmakers keep insisting that their films were meant to be watched on the big screen, to have the right effect and whatnot. Well whatever it was meant for, people are watching it on their iphones. So I guess that effect is not being had.

I do think indie filmmakers are going to have to collectively get used to the idea that films are not going to be watched in theaters as much as they used to be. In fact, we should have been prepared for that about 4-5 years ago when the trend of watching movies and Netflix Instant on phones started to become a thing.

I still enjoy watching movies in a theater, because there is nothing else like it. But theater attendance is likely going to slowly go down until it's perhaps a quarter or less than it is now. Although I don't think theaters will entirely die out.

I really don't mind watching films on my Android phone, or my I-pad. It's perfectly fine that way, because every movie watching experience is pretty much digital anyway. Most theaters are now digitally projected, televisions are digital, and so a phone or a laptop or a tablet is not far off, and the screen qualities aren't too different either. The resolutions are basically about the same in all four cases. Theater projectors are HD, my television is HD, my laptop is HD, and my phone is HD. And even if there are still bit-depth differences and color-space variances, those differences will soon become very minimal.

However, while I think we should start approaching our films in a way that understands they might only ever be watched on a TV or a small digital device, approaching sound design and color-grading on certain projects for the sake of a theater-going experience is wise because you want the sound-scape and the color depth to both be deep enough that the film won't sound tinny and won't look flat when it's presented in a high-quality environment.

If it's only ever going to be shown on I-Tunes and Youtube or something, then don't worry nearly as much about it. But if you expect that a film you make might be shown in a theater environment (I'm speaking to everyone here), then consider how it might look and sound there, and consider what you can do to improve the quality of the project to look and sound its best there.

Last edited:
I think Speilberg is allowed to be loose and frivolous with his choice of lens, though, because he had decades of experience before then, and so he basically knew all of the ins and outs enough to make a decision like that with a lot less thought than is usually required. But that doesn't mean there wasn't still a method behind how the lens was used for each individual shot, and the compositions of those shots. Lens focal length still has an inherent effect on the viewer, and so when and where to use a certain length still matters.

I'm not arguing that Spielberg cannot do what he wants. Yes he can do whatever he wants. And actually, I like almost everything he does. I just don't want to be burdened by all the "technique" that supposedly goes into every choice. I need help. So help me or don't. Don't give me a lecture on storytelling, and filmmaking and this design and that design. These lectures are readily available on multiple books on Amazon, which most filmmakers just regurgitate. Either help me make my movie or don't. Don't tell me how my approach is not good enough. I already know it's not good enough. You're not really adding to that discussion by giving me these lectures. (I'm not talking to you personally here FJ. I'm talking about the general tone of the advice from professional people here).

I'm not arguing that Spielberg cannot do what he wants. Yes he can do whatever he wants. And actually, I like almost everything he does. I just don't want to be burdened by all the "technique" that supposedly goes into every choice. I need help. So help me or don't. Don't give me a lecture on storytelling, and filmmaking and this design and that design. These lectures are readily available on multiple books on Amazon, which most filmmakers just regurgitate. Either help me make my movie or don't. Don't tell me how my approach is not good enough. I already know it's not good enough. You're not really adding to that discussion by giving me these lectures. (I'm not talking to you personally here FJ. I'm talking about the general tone of the advice from professional people here).

I can empathize with that. So I won't contribute to further repetition of the same information.

I think somewhere along the way your initial concerns have also become lost across a few separate threads. But all I can really say for now is if you are needing help in making your current film work under your current conditions and with your current budget, there's really no way to help you do what you need to do unless you either provide a rundown of a few scenarios that you're not sure how to handle, or one of us here just writes out a big list of everything we can think of that might be a useful tip or trick to help you out. But if any of us did that, the list could go on forever, and you might not find what you really need.

Though I'm willing to do such a thing, perhaps in the blog section here on IndieTalk, if you're interested. It's really no trouble, and it might help give me some useful ideas for later projects myself.

Beyond that, I'm not really sure what sort of "help" you're ultimately looking for.

There's still a great deal of confusion going on here and I'm not sure why. All the professional directors and producers I've worked with over the years had anything from a relatively poor to an excellent ability to employ sound design. I say "relatively" because even those who weren't so good at employing it still had a reasonably good understanding of what sound design is.

Most are still talking about individual sounds, which is Sound Effects Design or Foley, not directly sound design. It's like everyone is talking about eggs, flour, sugar and milk and the importance and number of all the different types and varieties of these ingredients. Meanwhile, I'm trying to discuss the experience of eating a cake! As a serious cake maker, the first question I need to ask is; what do I want my customers to feel and experience when they eat my cake? Only by answering this question can I start to narrow down the potentially infinite number of variables; ingredients, proportions of ingredients, methods of combining them and ways of baking them.

Using the given example of a restaurant scene. Not thinking about sound design, just sound, our options are endless: A wide variety of walla, different boiling, frying and cooking sounds, all sorts of cooking utensils being used in all sorts of ways, all sorts of sounds of plates, glasses, cups and condiments containers being moved, used or put down. Cutlery sounds on plates, in cups, on saucers, on tables, bottles being opened, chairs scraping the floor, dishwashers, coffee and other food prep and drinks machines, customers and staff walking around, background music, background traffic or other "outside" sounds and, an almost endless variety of nearly every one the above potential "ingredients". Where do we start? We could just pick a few random ones, which we happen to have handy to throw into the bag, add a further few which are sync'ed to some foreground or background visual action and then move on to the next scene. Alternatively, should we wish to make an engaging film, we can think in terms of sound design rather than just vaguely appropriate sounds to support the visuals. We need to start with some questions:

First, what's the story? Not what's the dialogue or what's in the script, but what's the underlying story? Regardless of what words are coming out of the actors' mouths, what are their underlying intentions and emotions or, more pertinently, what do we want the audience to know of their intentions and emotions? Another question we have to ask is how do we want the scene to play? Are we talking quite light hearted, does it need pace and energy or should it be thoughtful, suspenseful or intimate? A well designed scene wouldn't be static, it would have changes in pace, mood, motivation and/or undercurrents. And lastly, we need to think about the context of the scene, what went before and what is coming next. For example, the contrast of a big loud action scene cutting to a quiet intimate restaurant scene would be quite shocking and would slow the pace of the film right down, maybe that's what we want the audience to experience or, maybe we want something entirely different. Only with these questions answered can we actually start the sound design because sound design is the craft/art of using sound to achieve these answers!! There, we now have a definition of sound design! Now we have these answers/goals, what next:

Consider these two facts: 1. When we sit in a restaurant in the real world, many of the potential restaurant sounds I mentioned above happen randomly but film isn't the real world. We can make something that appears to be random but isn't! 2. Different sounds create different emotional responses. For example, the pleasant chink of wine glasses, gentle laughter at another table or, the harsh unpleasant sound of a knife scratching on a plate, the screech of a chair dragged on the floor, the crash of mishandled plates, etc.

Combining these two facts, we can start to address some of our answers above. Maybe one of our characters has a line which appears innocuous but we want our audience to be aware of some potential undercurrent or threat. In our restaurant ambience there could randomly (sic) be more of the harsh, unpleasant sounds and less of the pleasant ones. Having said this, maybe we want the audience to really feel the intimacy, in which case there maybe virtually no background ambience at all or we might gradually arrive at a point where only the characters' dialogue and their personal Foley can heard. In practice we can vary the relative amounts and density of our background ambience throughout the scene, to build pace, tension or intimacy and to reduce it, to give our scene shape. Without shape, a static scene where nothing much happens, our audience is rapidly going to loose interest!

There are of course countless other sound design options. For example, when thinking about shape, a reset might be required. Maybe an extended pause before a change of mood or subject or perhaps more dramatically, maybe someone drops and smashes a plate or pile of pans. These types of sound design requires the film to be designed for the sound though, the characters have to respond and/or interact with the sound otherwise it simply won't be believable or effective. In general, characters, the camera or the lighting, etc., interacting with sound provides the richest/most powerful audio visual experience and is a backbone of modern filmmaking.

-----------

Did any of you really read the article which Jax linked to, or did you just scan over it? Consider the paragraph which followed the one I quoted previously:

In order for that edit to be possible, Lievsay needed the footsteps of that young woman close at hand. He needed not just any footsteps, but ones that sounded like they were made by a low high heel of roughly the sort that women would wear in the mid-1970s crossing a wooden stage. ...
When Lievsay reached for that girl’s footsteps, he wasn’t going back into some old library – he was reaching into the library of Foley designed and created specifically for Cheadle’s film.

Question: If Lievsay had those bespoke Foley footsteps sitting there all the while, why weren't they already in the mix? Why did Cheadle stop the mix? The answer is sound design! Lievsay had eliminated the footsteps from the mix, even though it corresponded to a visual action, because he was trying to create intimacy, focus the audience's attention solely on the protagonists but Lievsay had misjudged the intent of the scene and Cheadle's explanation of what he wanted the audience to experience caused a re-design.

Let's be very precise. There was no "Sound Design" role in traditional film titles.
Traditionally there was NO "Sound Designer" credits until Walter Murich and Ben Burt. They were responsible for creating "soundscapes" or special effects in Apocolypse Now and Star Wars.... Walter was the first to receive the credit, but Burt made it famous.

To be honest I don't think that is very precise! There was no one credited as Sound Designer before Murch but there certainly was sound design long before. Soundscapes and SFX were employed by many great filmmakers, starting decades earlier with Hitchcock and Welles. What Burtt and particularly Murch did which was so different to what went before is that they took sound out of the murky post-production closet and brought it into pre-production. What Murch did for Apocalypse Now wasn't solely about designing sound for film, it was at least as much about designing the film for sound!! That is what is so revolutionary about what they did. While directors like Hitchock, Leone, Lumet, Kubrik and others certainly designed and shot their films with sound design in mind, Murch (and Burtt) took it to a whole new level. Murch actually re-wrote parts of the script of Apocalypse Now during pre-prod, he worked closely with the director and cinematographer throughout pre-prod, to modify the shotlist, angles and what would appear in the frame, all to maximise the effectiveness of sound design and ultimately, of maximising the audience experience. Let's not forget, prior to Star Wars, all directors were effectively limited to mono sound. Surround Sound bought a whole new level of complexity to sound and a whole lot more creative options and opportunities to manipulate the audiences' experience. The film business has always been highly competitive and the most successful directors are the most successful because they use every means at their disposal to maximise their audiences' experience. With the newly available audio technology, it was just a matter of time before specialist sound designers helping to design the film for sound became standard practice.

Because that is sound design's entire purpose: being able to tell the story without the visuals ...

Can't agree with this statement at all. Film sound design is not about being solely responsible for telling the story, that road leads to the sound fighting the visuals! Sound design is ALL about the interaction of sound and visuals, to create a unified storytelling experience.

I'm not interested in 'mood.' I want natural lighting with minimum shadows. I want as close to 360 lighting with the 4 lights I have. I can' afford to think about 'mood.' If the 'mood' in my movie is wrong, so be it. I'll think about it a little, and then I'll stop thinking about it, because I have a scene to finish shooting, even if it is the wrong 'mood.'

Why are you making films? What is your purpose, what are you trying to achieve? I'm not trying to be combative, I'm trying to understand.

I recognize the need for good lighting. I recognize the need for good sound design. But you're making things more complex than they need to be in my situation.

Huh? Get an iphone, find someone with a cute kitten and film it until it does something stupid. There you go, you've dramatically simplified your filmmaking and you'll get millions of more views on youtube than you've ever had before! I ask again, why are you making narrative films?

G

Originally Posted by FilmmakerJ
Because that is sound design's entire purpose: being able to tell the story without the visuals ...

Originally posted by AudioPostExpert
Can't agree with this statement at all. Film sound design is not about being solely responsible for telling the story, that road leads to the sound fighting the visuals! Sound design is ALL about the interaction of sound and visuals, to create a unified storytelling experience.

I'll agree that you don't want the sound to overtake the visuals. But isn't it true that a radio drama is just a tv show without visuals and slightly emphasized sounds so that everything is clearly heard?

If you took everything from a radio drama, did a minor remix to it, and shot live-action scenes to go along with it, it wouldn't be a whole lot different from a real film production of the 1950s, when radio dramas were still common.

Why are you making films? What is your purpose, what are you trying to achieve? I'm not trying to be combative, I'm trying to understand.

I wrote all those things. And this is the question you ask me. Obviously I didn't get through.

I don't know why I make films. I make films today so that one day in the future I can make better films, so that one day in the future, I have better financing and can afford a real crew. Why don't you tell me who you think you are giving advice to when you address my questions... someone who gives a crap about Walter Murch?

Who are you giving advice to on these forums? People who know how to use Pro Tools and know what sound layering is? People who use Waves Plugins? Who are you advising? People with access to sound libraries? People who know how to use EQ properly? Who do you think you're advising?

Huh? Get an iphone, find someone with a cute kitten and film it until it does something stupid. There you go, you've dramatically simplified your filmmaking and you'll get millions of more views on youtube than you've ever had before! I ask again, why are you making narrative films?

G

What's wrong with an iPhone? If I had a story to tell, and didn't have access to a camera with good lenses, I'd use an iPhone. There's nothing wrong with it. There is a bloody universe between an iPhone and the camera of your choice to shoot an indie film in. There is also a bloody universe between a cat video and whatever story you are interested in.

I make films today so that one day in the future I can make better films...

Just making films today won't make your films in the future better. A better film is different from a worse film, unless you change something in the way that you make films then your films in the future are not going to be better, they're going to be exactly the same!!

The help I need cannot be received on most internet forums.

The help you need cannot be received, period. The help you want seems to be making you completely unreceptive to the help you need!

G

Just making films today won't make your films in the future better. A better film is different from a worse film, unless you change something in the way that you make films then your films in the future are not going to be better, they're going to be exactly the same!!
I'll make better films when I can afford to make better films. Until then, I'll live within my current means. I'll change things when I can afford to change them.

The help you need cannot be received, period. The help you want seems to be making you completely unreceptive to the help you need!

G

What is making me unreceptive, is your blindness. You don't know how to provide advice to people without a budget. People have been making movies for over a century now. What dog bark nuance do you want to teach me about? There is a dog barking in North by Northwest somewhere in the background? There is a dog barking in the background in Rashomon?

P.S.
The notion that you and your target audience can't experience sound design is ludicrous. If the average viewer couldn't experience some aspect of sound design in almost every movie they watch, then sound designers would not be employed.

this is what I thought before this thread and before what i was told by alcove audio.

Honestly I was expecting someone to chime in with this opinion much earlier but I kept talking about what had been said and it was never contracted by alcove audio or audiopostexpert so what am I to expect but just to give up on the concept entirely

Or at least their meaning of it, and just tackle sound in my own way that will be meaningful to my audience. regardless of if these guys consider it sound design or not, which apparently they don't, yeah it helps to think about sound in your scenes and how it impacts your audience

I just figure there must be some other name for it!! A name for sound environment and artistic choices that can be experienced on my laptop.

I'll make better films when I can afford to make better films. Until then, I'll live within my current means. I'll change things when I can afford to change them.

I see this type of thought process often here, you're fooling yourself! A substantial budget will improve your filmmaking but not by nearly enough, Because:

1. A bigger budget ONLY provides access to better resources, it's how you use those resources. You can buy the best ingredients in the world but it's still just as easy to incorrectly mix, burn or ruin those ingredients in some other way and end up with a poor cake. There are countless poor 5, 6 and 7 figure budget films out there, shunned by audiences.

2. Making a watchable film for a few thousand $ is tough. Having a substantially bigger budget does NOT make it easier, it makes it more difficult! This is because not only do you have more resources to manage, organise, integrate and use creatively but your film has got to make a whole bunch more money just to break even.

3. You're making amateur films now, how will using a load more money to make better amateur films improve your situation?

4. You think investors are going to give you a 6 or 7 figure budget out of the goodness of their hearts, to aid your filmmaking development? No, they're only going to give you a 6 or 7 figure budget if you can demonstrate that you'll use those resources to maximise the audience experience and make them a profit! At the moment you're doing the exact opposite, you're not even maximising the extremely limited resources at your disposal!

5. I don't expect you to take a blind bit of notice of what I'm trying to tell you!

What is making me unreceptive, is your blindness. You don't know how to provide advice to people without a budget. ... What dog bark nuance do you want to teach me about?

I don't want to teach you about dog barking nuances, in fact I've repeatedly stated that sound effects design is NOT what I'm talking about. I've provided you with advice which requires no additional budget but it's not the simple magic spell advice you can just add to your existing method of filmmaking which you're looking for, so you ignore it and then accuse me of not giving you this magic spell (which doesn't even exist)! There's none so deaf as them who want to be!

Honestly I was expecting someone to chime in with this opinion much earlier ...

You're joking right? Are you saying that you really didn't get that Alcove and I were calling your opinion ludicrous much earlier in this thread?

I really don't get some of the responses and reactions in this thread. Jax posted an excellent article providing a wealth of inside info from a practitioner of a fundamental filmmaking craft which isn't often discussed publicly. And, not just any practitioner but a master of the craft, one who's had a significant hand in the creative design and manufacture of some of the most famous, successful or influential films in the last 30 years. Instead of discussing how to implement this info/knowledge to improve their own films, some have deliberately sought to derail the thread by disputing that this fundamental film craft even exists. It's mind boggling, if this isn't ludicrous I don't know what is! Do you actually want to make better, successful films or do you just want to try to bring everyone else down to your level?

G

Back