the most difficult job in any film making?

Tell me if I am correct in jobs here :

Director: Telling folks where to stand and how to say what they are saying...in as many takes as it takes. Doesn't it get so frustrating to get it right? It seems no one understands what it is you are looking for.

Sound guy/gal: making sure everyone is at the right level and not sounding cheap or too loud or far away. How hard is it to get just right? A guy holding a stick with a mic at just the right place, knowing how high to hold it and when to move it to the next actor speaking??? and not getting tired!

Editor: Talk about putting a million piece puzzel together and filing it down to a hundred pieces. Going through each take and picking what works with what, minuet by minuet and second by second.

Music: What music is best with what scene? How to change it without anyone noticing but at the same time everyone in the audience can tell by the music what is going on...and how it mesh's with that particular scene.

Lighting guy: Ah yes, the one that never gets noticed. The one that has to make some actors look better than they ever would in real life and others like Freddy Kruger. Depending on the mood of that scene will depend on where to place the lights and what gels to use...

A lot of stuff that goes together for this film making stuff aye? I tried and tested the prosumer camera today with some bells and whistles. I thought my biggest obstical was the camera itself, you know, learning what it can do...but my goodness thats a walk in the park compared to everything else!

...oh yeah...this was basically a vent ... I was trying to direct something today for the sole purpose of learning different aspects of the film. I just didn't realize how difficult it was to get people to do what you want them to do as per your vision. I didn't have the lighting right so no one looked better then they should have...sound? it was good. I had a proper mic. I haven't even gotten to the editing part.
A lot to learn, and I thought the camera was the biggest thing...it really isn't...everything else is so much bigger.

Producing and/or Production Managing is one of the most difficult IMO...

You have to coordinate between so many different things. On a big visual effects blockbuster this is hectic...

Logistics, schedules, money, deadlines, etc. etc.

It's tough.

fire watch. the PA who has to sit next to the truck and make sure no one steels anything or nothing catches on fire, pretty much a human scarecrow. He stays there for hours and the other PA's usually forget they sent him to fire watch. and to make it worse no one ever tries to steel anything and nothing ever catches on fire.

I would say the person who splices film together is a tedious job. I wanna say the job title is the conformist but I may be wrong with that. Also, not sure if they are still performing this with all the technical advances but that was the job no one wanted and paid really well if you did it. I've done it before, it sucked and time consuming. And with 35mm you need to cut it just right to attach it with cement.

EDIT: Also before digital editing, optical printing was kind of a pain in the butt too. But don't get me wrong, it was still kind of fun and when you had success it was rewarding.

Last edited:
Learning that it's okay to delegate roles & jobs seems to be pretty difficult for a lot of beginners. :)

So what are you shooting anyway, Libby?

ZENSTEVE,

NO!

I SAID THE COFFEE GETS PLACED IN BACK OF THE SUGAR PACKETS AND THE STIR STICKS GET PLACED TO THE RIGHT AND FANNED OUT AND THE LIDS GO TO THE LEFT!!!

DO IT RIGHT...

NO...

AHH JUST LET ME DO IT!!!

Celebrity assistants have a pretty interesting job on set, too.

I saw one get ripped to shreds for causing a celeb to be 10 minutes late because the assistant didn't make sure the person arrived on time for an interview and was late by 10 mins.

But, I think we may have gotten too complex from the original question :)

I was just filming something inside of a shop. One reason is because I know the people who own it so it wasn't a big deal to use it.
Another lesson: When filming inside a shop make sure its when the shop is closed. I got the camera set up at the correct angle and in walks customers. Now, there were no customers in the store for a half an hour, it was later in the day but as soon as I am ready, in they come.

Once I learn and have access to the editing department of this little studio then it would be a lot better.

...and learn all the tricks of the camera/lighting and having a remotly interesting script/makeup...

Back