• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

The Hobbit at 48 fps

I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out, HOWEVER I think that conclusively a lot of people will have trouble seeing how it turns out due to the lack of facilities to project 48fps, which is a great shame.

Part of me welcomes Jackson's move, with the reduced juddering during movement and overall clarity of image being the two factors I look forward to the most, but at the same time (at this stage) I hope this capture choice doesn't catch on in the future- I think a big element of cinema must remain in the "Smoke and Mirrors" domain and I think enhanced visual clarity could be an element which could de-sensitise viewers and make directors take the cop-out choice of using CGI over physical costumes, sets and makeup. Its great to have something fantastical such as "The Hobbit" look life-like but I think the visuals could dull, in my opinion, the suspension of disbelief needed for such a film. In saying that it will of course have the backing from fans of the book!

Ebert's a huge proponent of this...I remember reading about it from Ebert quite awhile ago, before Jackson made his announcement. He described it as looking through a window. I just loved the simple physics of it.

Then he brought it up again with the recent popularity of Real3D.

I'm dying to see the technology in action.

So, the future of film is the recent history of video? :lol:

wheat, would you still think it's a good idea if you knew that, although "The Hobbit" will make it to theaters sooner, it was actually Hollywood's Favorite Punching Bag who started this crazy idea?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/03/31/avatar_fps/

By "Blame it on video games" I mean that its my view that the expectation for crystal clear and sharp playback is becoming the NORM because the up and coming generation is used to seeing visual entertainment material in high frame rates. Why I like it is for the same reason. I can still remember when I tried to make my first 24p video recording, and I still recall that I though it looked bad because of the slow frame rate. Sure, since then I learned to appreciate it, but maybe its just "new enough" to me that Im still attracted to the clean purity of video 60i playback.

In fact, maybe we should challenge each other to shoot some 48\60 FPS material, using all our new shallow DOF cameras and whatnot and honestly assess why it might be GOOD..

We shoot at 25 fps in the UK so it's not such a leap for us :)

I have to say that I don't quite get the thinking behind this but I'm willing to slide. I'm curious, from a technical POV, to know what the process of down converting the film so that it will be compatible with non-48 fps projectors will do to the quality? Anyone know?

Back