The flycam Nano DSLR @ a corporate event/footage

The footage is straight out of the camera (Canon 5D + 50mm), no color correction. I just added a title in FCP & some royalty free music.

This is a 1.40 min shot, while using the flycam nano dslr & floating through an event where guests were arriving for a seminar. You can see how it responds to my movement, it slightly wobbles sometimes but still gives a very steady impression overall. Even in the shots where I paused for some seconds, it gives a very solid performance.

I still need to get used to it, as it was only our 2nd flight with the flycam nano dslr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUXy5KF-ISQ

Very cool. :cool:

I just picked up the $70 Opteka equiv, which should arrive tomorrow. I'm not expecting too much awesome-sauce with it, but I'm interested in seeing how it compares to your footage.

And there's the rub. Remote focus (which also means wirelss hdmi) is almost a necessity when flying a camera and using a large aperture. Stopping down a few would help make the focus issue less obvious but then deminish the cinemagraphic feel. The movement is very nice, and having a focus puller to snap relevant content into focus would really sell this shot.

Seems smooth but the you're often out of focus.

dreamy...
im so close to pushing the buy button.. cheap..

Just make sure you calculate the weight you're going to be putting on it. The body plus your heaviest lens. This thing maxes out fast. For say a 7d or 5d body with a heavier lens like the canon 10-22 or tokina 11-16 and such, you're better of with a glidecam 2000 which can support such weight.

This thing is fine for a t2i and a regular lenses like the nifty fifty or the stock lens etc.

EDIT: Flycam nano update below. Flycam nano details in this post are wrong. They are for the older model, not the new model.

Last edited:
Just make sure you calculate the weight you're going to be putting on it. The body plus your heaviest lens. This thing maxes out fast. For say a 7d or 5d body with a heavier lens like the canon 10-22 or tokina 11-16 and such, you're better of with a glidecam 2000 which can support such weight.

This thing is fine for a t2i and a regular lenses like the nifty fifty or the stock lens etc.

Hey Ernest,

you got that completely wrong, it was the FORMER flycam nano that couldn't support a lot of weight (made for mini cameras). The flycam nano DSLR is bigger then its previous version. Too many people get mixed up with them. I have only 2 weights attached on each side to balance my 5d mII & a 50mm 1.4 ... still I have 10 weights leftover: meaning I could add 2 extra 5D's + lenses on the same flycam.

so your weight argument doesn't make any sense, I can easily attach a monitor and still have weights leftover...thing is the more you add upto it the heavier it gets for those arms ;)

Seems smooth but the you're often out of focus.

its a guerilla tool so it needs a little guerilla approach... but still the only moment there's nothing in focus is around 0:42, before & after there's always something/someone in focus ;)

We've also shot a music video with it recently, and I must say I'm impressed by the result. The cinematic feeling it gives is awesome. I cannot share footage until the video is released but I will do asap. The music video will be finished in 2 weeks, so patience...

Hey Ernest,

you got that completely wrong, it was the FORMER flycam nano that couldn't support a lot of weight (made for mini cameras). The flycam nano DSLR is bigger then its previous version. Too many people get mixed up with them. I have only 2 weights attached on each side to balance my 5d mII & a 50mm 1.4 ... still I have 10 weights leftover: meaning I could add 2 extra 5D's + lenses on the same flycam.

so your weight argument doesn't make any sense, I can easily attach a monitor and still have weights leftover...thing is the more you add upto it the heavier it gets for those arms ;)

You're right. Lately ive been looking into budget steadicams for personal use and the the flycam nano id studied was indeed an older model. The newer model can hold more weight. Up to 4.4lbs.

Thanks for correcting that information. It's quite useful to me and at the same time i may have misled others.

Back